• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been to all three, and countries north and south as well! If we were looking again (owned now in CR for 4+ years) I would consider Panama. Will be interesting to see if Panama becomes the 'go to' place for commerce, expats and retirement over the next 25 years. They surely seem to have the vision, money, education and friendly policies to attack many! But after 4 years in CR, this is and always will be our 2nd home!!

Thank y'all for the comments.

I have been to all three, and countries north and south as well! If we were looking again (owned now in CR for 4+ years) I would consider Panama. Will be interesting to see if Panama becomes the 'go to' place for commerce, expats and retirement over the next 25 years. They surely seem to have the vision, money, education and friendly policies to attack many! But after 4 years in CR, this is and always will be our 2nd home!!

Could you elaborate a little more WHY you'd consider Panama today?

Panama.... hot, hot, hot, hot weather

Nicalandia...Ortega, Ortega, Ortega!

Interesting article on moving to Panama in today's AM Costa Rica edition.

Consider the source! Special Free Bonus....maybe he'll write a book about Panama someday.

Rn, if you're seriously thinking about all three spend your money and some real time -- several months -- and visit all three. No one can really advise you, at least not really. Look at Fred S, who visited all manner of communities in the Central Valley, etc, and found the place he wants to retire in the southern zone (PZ, as I recall, though maybe somewhere else).

Some people have made a real study of places, doing as you did and compiling lists and checking things off, as they went through their decisionmaking. Even though my spouse is an economist and VERY practical and logical, we really just used our gut instincts: what felt like the right place (as Fred did, come to think of it). For us -- sorry to be repetitive here, people -- it was CR or nothing. Panama and Nicaragua? Don't like the politics in either place, thank you very much. Only other place we'd have loved to consider would have been Mexico, but when we heard about places in Mexico where friends had settled -- and sunk much of their savings into building a house and moving there -- being taken over by drug cartels, it quickly was struck from our short list of two countries.

So: try 'em all and see what works for you!

regards,

Gayle