Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About CountDown

  • Rank
    ARCR Forums Expert
  1. I'd followed the Tico Times since 1971 but in recent years I've only tracked the digital version. I'm guessing that their hard copy distribution was no longer cost effective, but I'll miss seeing it. I also miss the San Jose News (2nd largest English language newspaper) from the 1970s. It has been gone a long while but they'd offered me a job in 1973 and I still think I should have taken it! RIP to the hard copy edition.
  2. Blogs are like public diaries. Sharing insights and information discovered at the time. Sometimes for entertainment, to help others, or just a cathartic venting. Few people go back and update them (unless they're making a living from it!) Unfortunately that includes those who share what they've learned or needed to do, but which they don't subsequently pursue. It gets stale or flat-out wrong very quickly as you've seen. That's why we who've been through and followed the changes (e.g. in Residency) offer suggestions but still recommend heading for someone who makes their living at it and (h
  3. They are not legal. "Independent contractor" is still a working (as opposed to "own-and-manage") position. Some people confidently assert that since the client is paying a corporation instead of the individual that it is legal because they "aren't being paid." In reality most of those you encounter who are working illegally simply haven't been caught because the (real estate transaction for example) occurs via a lawyer and no actionable record of agent commission comes to light without someone pointing it out. As with illegal work in other countries, it happens, but the worker has no r
  4. If your vehicle is in a corporation you need more, according to the P.O. folk. In addition to plates, cedula copy, registration, you'll need a Personeria Juridica, showing you are able to act on behalf of the corporation, a receipt from BCR for (I believe) 1200 colones, plus the fee (again I vaguely recall) 15,000. They said it would take five days (your car without plates for five working days) while it is all sent to Zapote. That required small deposit receipt was to cover a clerk verifying that your Personeria is still valid when it gets to Zapote. That is also why it takes much longer
  5. For many years a Tica friend has told us to bring high thread-count towels as gifts. Kitchen towels, batch towels, whatever. Most of the towels here are lower thread-count. Each time we'd bring bundles of (Costco) towels. A handful of kitchen towels packs well and makes a number of good "gee I have something here for you" kind of presents when needed. Note, the lower thread-count dry faster but our many friends like "showing off" by having higher thread count out for guests. For kids the "flying saucer" toys (8"-10" propeller on a stick) are great, inexpensive toss-in-the-suitcase kind
  6. The short answer in your case (in my opinion) is "yes". Waste the time. Imagine the joy of a policeman, in the event of an accident or infraction, having driver with a foreign driver license but no foreign identity card (cedula). Although U.S. driver licenses are commonly used for identification, even with cedula you'd need other i.d. (passport?) to prove your existence. Renting a car may be possible, but that requires a credit card. The billing address will likely not be "200 m N. Iglesia Cat., San Pedro,..." so I believe it may be more difficult. Perhaps those who have actually expe
  7. Just to reiterate... after your tourist visa expires (presumably 90 days) your foreign (e.g. U.S.) driver license is not valid. Plan on getting the C.R. license before that time... (or hope not to be stopped for any reason whatsoever).
  8. Remember, this is still vague. Nothing in the article mentioned servidumbre, just guard shacks controlling access to residential areas. It didn't clarify if "residential areas" were public streets or private access roads. Dana, your example is exactly why I posed the question. Is the residential finca served by a public road or private? If "free transit" only applies to public land then the question would be whether a servidumbre is public or private. Otherwise "free transit" might mean walking through your front yard (or living room!) Do property owners served by a servidumbre have the r
  9. Thanks CRF, that seems relevant (and from a year ago! You have an excellent memory!) I recall issues of impeding access to beaches but hadn't see that article about guard shacks. That rather defeats the purpose of a "gated community." The part about "chains or gates" being used for "surveillance" rather than impeding entry seems nebulous. Particularly if there is no guard shack, as is the case with many folk way out in the country. So two farmers way out in the country, who share a common entry (servidumbre) to their properties, may be required to let anyone cruise up their private ro
  10. A friend's architect recently told her that Costa Rica law is (or may be?) changing such that servidumbres (e.g. private access/service roads) will become public roads. I have searched online in general as well as La Gaceta and have found no reference to such a change. The architect told her that it would prevent adding barriers (e.g. security gates) and would mean the removal of such gates on current servidumbres. Since most private roads shared by more than one property owner are defined as "agricultural servidumbre" it would potentially affect the security of many homes and housing deve
  11. Before you begin. The appraised value of property is what the taxing authority (i.e. Municipality) uses. It has no basis in actual value. (At least I know of none that are even close.) Property retains the same value regardless of market changes at least for a period of five years. It changes during construction, at which time the College of Engineers establishes a value for the construction. This is the new value used by the Municipality. Values may not be reflected in the Registro. However, here is how you check. Registro Sistema de Consultas Select "Bienes Inmuebles" Selec
  12. It depends upon the bank but most will require: Passport or cedula utility bill (doesn't have to be in your name) "source of funds" (tax return or letter from local accountant identifying source of funds) letters of reference (BNCR required those a few years ago) Opening an HSBC account recently they only required cedula, utility bill, and "source of funds" letter. If you're an ARCR member, I understand that they help people open accounts at BNCR. They can supply a copy of their utility bill. I don't know if they have requirements for your "source of funds". Check with Ryan.
  13. If you've paid INS you'll likely be paying the monthly CAJA too, unless that is in the contract. Those I know who didn't pay someone (e.g. architect, engineer, contractor, other..) a fee to "manage" everything needed to do the monthly payments and reporting themselves. That's monthly trips to INS and CAJA to submit work reports (planilla) plus monthly payments to CAJA. As recommended above, be sure before you start. I've know some who didn't verify (and the contractor didn't pay INS/CAJA) so they were hit with a big bill after the fact.
  14. Wayne, sorry to tell you but ciclista has it right... It seems you haven't reviewed valuable resources (e.g. www.therealcostarica.com). Costa Rica isn't zoned, controlled, private, or other characteristics you'd expect in Florida, California, or Hawaii... It is a separate country with its own culture and foibles. I'd suggest an extensive review of the forum postings and therealcostarica.com for a better feel. Then visit multiple times... and not on vacation. Living here is vastly different. It can be wonderful or a disaster but it only meets one or two of your requirements and confl
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.