All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Last week
  2. Earlier
  3. I came across a website that shows each province of Costa Rica and the boundaries of the cantons within it and thought others might find it useful.
  4. Paul's right. We just went through this but it may be difficult to find. And he's right again. Having a prescription filled for you in the U.S and then having it sent here entails a world of bureaucracy. Instead, you should be able to get a local Costa Rican physician to help you through an expedited process that only s/he can initiate. Just recently, a friend has gotten our local primary care physician to order a medication for her osteoporosis. It's not available here. It will take about two weeks to arrive. So if you have a primary care doc, ask if s/he can help. Our doctor is here in Grecia, but Steve Schweikert(sp?) had a similar experience with a doc in San Ramon, so this isn't a well kept secret. Otherwise, there may be an alternative medication that would work for you. Ask about that, too.
  5. Gail, There's a rather lot of paperwork and permissions required to import medicines into Costa Rica. Have you tried checking with any of the larger private pharmacies in the Central Valley for you medicine? One of them might have it. Or they might have an equivalent compound for the medicine you need. If the latter is the case then you will need to go to a CR doctor for an evaluation/exam to see if he will write you a scrip for the medicine you need. Have you done a search of the ARCR Forums archives here? Importing medicines was discussed at some length only recently. OK — HTH Paul M. ==
  6. I am in need of a prescription medication I can’t get in Costa Rica for migraines. Does anyone know a process for getting a prescription mailed to me in Costa Rica?
  7. I am pleased to announce that I have developed at home coronavirus test that is faster, less expensive, and as accurate as the test that is used at the White House every day. Even better, you don't have to buy it from me. Here is how it works. 1. Get a penny. 2. Flip said penny. 3. Heads you're negative. Tails you're positive. If you don't like the result, you can go 2 out of 3. This test may also be performed with the coins of other nations, but let's face it, the USA has the best testing.
  8. You might do well to try going into the local super mercados or pulperias –or one of those little hole-in-the-wall bill payment places– in the neighborhood(s) or areas that you are interested in. There is usually a bulletin board with 3 by 5, cards etc. with hand-written announcements posted somewhere in those stores/offices and on those BBs there will be ads for rental places. That's one way that ticos look for rentals. Also word-of-mouth . . . Ask the waitress at the soda or restaurant you patronize. Someone will often know who's got something for rent, maybe a relative of the person you ask. And you can also just walk around in neighborhood that interest you and look for signs in windows that say 'Se Alquila'. That often works out well, too. OK — HTH Paul M. ==
  9. Seeking small furnished apartment in the San Jose metro area - Central Valley. I currently live in Desamparados.
  10. Hi JS, This is a very old thread (from ten years ago) and when this thread began there was a suggestion that it might be wiser, since nothing was really built there yet at that time that investigating some other developments which were actively building homes could be a wiser choice. If now, ten years later, there are still very few or no dwellings completed in this development it would still be wise to consider some other development that is active. Furthermore, a visit to this development would be useful especially if you could contact some to the homeowners in the development and ask them about the place, pros, and cons. Just my 2¢ worth here. Paul M. ==
  11. Jill, I'm not at all familiar with the area you're asking about, but I do have some thoughts about purchasing any real estate here in Costa Rica. First, come and see it with your own eyes. It's not just the property you're thinking of buying but also the adjacent ones that will impact upon your enjoyment. Then, if the area is acceptable to you, have your own attorney, not the seller's or the real estate agents', do a thorough job of researching the title to the property. Every parcel in Costa Rica is supposed to be registered in the National Registry. If it's not, back away quickly. There are too many risks involved in purchasing property that isn't titled or which the seller might represent as "being titled soon". If losing the money would be a setback for you, bail out. And then, if your attorney finds that the property is legitimately titled, play it safe and have a second attorney do the research again. The cost won't be that great. Ask for a copy of the official plano castrado(sp?). That's the official, registered survey map. If there's any doubt, have your own surveyor re-survey the property so that you're not shown one lot but sold another. If the new survey is acceptable, have it registered in the National Registry. Deal only with people you know. Ask for the seller's identification and the real estate agent's. If the agent is not a Costa Rican, find out how s/he can be here. If s/he's a tourist or a temporary resident, s/he's breaking the law by working. If s/he'll break the residency law, what other laws is s/he willing to break? And know that the seller is actually the owner. Get his or her ID and have your attorney check that out, too. There have been cases of people selling unsuspecting foreigners property that they simply don't own. Don't take anyone's promise that improvements will be done soon. If the road's not paved, if the water and electricity are not in, wait until you can see those things with your own eyes. There are too many developments with impressive entry gates and nothing else. Too, if you read the first entry in this thread, the writer mentions the airport slated to open in 2010 and the new hospital. It's 2020 now and where are they? Big promises . . small results. Be sure to meet and deal directly with the seller and not just through a real estate agent. It's common here for a real estate agent to promise a seller a net price but to quote a much higher price to the buyer. Guess who keeps the difference.
  12. Hello, I m interested in recent reveiws of Ventana del Pacifico, as I am considering purchasing a lot from them near Ojochal. Any experience you can share with me, good and bad? I visited Costa Rica in the late 80's and early 90's, and now my son is potentially going to be studying abroad there (environmental science) next year. I retired from a career with a conservation agency in the US and am interested in the right kind of area to build a small home. Thank you for any feedback you can provide. jill
  13. Erin, any luck with your project ? I would like to know.
  14. The single most interesting thing about newman's recent postings, aside from the fact that he has re-ignited the issue of having some substantiation for them, is the fact (and this is an indisputable fact) that the "total all out nuclear attack" he advocates being launched against China would likewise result in a total all out nuclear attack on the United States and the rest of the world. Should the U.S. launch newman's total all out nuclear attack on China, they would undoubtedly retaliate in kind and with equal devastation. That's the premise behind "mutual assured destruction" (you can look it up). And that would draw in the Russians, North Korea, Israel, Iran, India and Pakistan, Ukraine and whomever else has The Bomb. True, Costa Rica might be spared the immediate effects of a worldwide nuclear conflagration, but the radioactive fallout alone would get the rest of us, even newman. The good news, should newman get his way, is that it would reduce the matter of the coronavirus to a mere footnote in history. That is, of course, if there were anyone left alive to write that history which there wouldn't be. Amusing side note: Last week, a rent-a-cop at PriceSmart told me that there is a secret worldwide society which unleashes all these disasters like the coronavirus on the world for some purpose he could not explain. I explained that there is an even more secretive cabal that makes up and spreads unfounded conspiracy theories like the ones newman wraps his arms around.
  15. Anyone is free to believe whatever bizarre notion that pops into their heads. But if you post something, you presumably want others to share that belief. If the only basis for that belief is "because I think it's true" then you aren't going to persuade others to share it - so what's the point? As for the original post, yes, it's true that the US State Department is aiding Americans abroad in getting back to the US - but only because so many flights have been canceled since the pandemic surfaced that many are having a hard time getting home. The State Department did the same thing after September 11, 2001 when many Americans abroad were also stranded. It has absolutely nothing to do with any alleged impending attack on China.
  16. Hi I agree that there is not 1 shred of fact in the conspiracy theory that China made this virus. If they did, then did they make all of the previous Viruses that have been spawned in China? Something must be done about china though, more strong sanctions from EVERY country in the world, only to be lifted when China can demonstate that they have stopped all the live torture and slaughter of dogs, cats, bats and who knows what else, in open markets. D
  17. Perhaps we can't, but they ought to –and should– be required to substantiate what they report so that others who are interested can verify the information. PM ==
  18. Suggesting in unsubstantiated fashion that China has committed an act of war by manufacturing a global virus and that they should be retalliated against with a nuclear attack is not sensible. Not sensible when that report has be shown by Snopes.com to be false. Spreading such unfounded concerns can only cause unnecessary panic in sectors of the public so should not be encouraged without verification from reliable sources. PM ==
  19. You can't convince someone who believes in conspiracy theories that they are wrong. T
  20. newmans 1st post: facts stated, then his beliefs based on the facts. He expanded on those beliefs in his second post in answer to David's question. Of course we may not always agree with one another . Global Advisory from travel.state.gov "U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period" 19.3.20 Since when did we need to substantiate our beliefs or did I miss something?
  21. REMINDER! Be civil when posting replies! Replies are welcome, but if a member cannot reply in polite fashion to another member's post then s/he should just not reply. Abusive posts will absolutely not be tolerated so, members who cannot make a civil reply may be placed on moderated status, suspended from posting, or even removed from the Forums without further comment. Thank You – Moderator - -
  22. If you have actual proof that this virus was deliberately engineered and released by the government of China then put up - or shut up. If a country wanted to unleash biological warfare against another it would be pretty stupid to infect its own people first in the hope that they would then carry it to other countries.
  23. Newman, how do you substantiate your claims here? You cite no reliable news source to verify that any of what you have posted is fact. This pandemic is nothing more than a very serious health concern and as such it is a wholly non-partisan organism: The virus doesn't care who you are, whether you are black, white, green, male or female; it is an equal opportunity, non-discriminatory, infectious organism. As such it makes no sense for some malicious entity or faction to release an infectious agent which would also infect and kill them as well! Please stop with the consipracy theories, Newman. So UNLESS you cite some reliable sources to back your statements up this thread is closed. Thank You – Moderator - -
  24. what china has done is an act of war - to unleash on the world a biological agent of such horrendous destruction is an act of a group of monstrous minds - a total all out nuclear attack is warranted against china!
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.