Hi-

Thank you for all the helpful info. on your forum.

My family and I are considering a relocation from Marblehead, MA to Nosara.

We will be traveling to the area in June.

I am trying to figure out the best section in the American Project to reside.

We have 5 kids. Oldest in college in US. Homeschooling 16 year old and currently researching

DelMar and HSBA. Are there certain sections that are more family (safe) friendly?

We will have car. Would like to find a home to rent long-term before purchasing our own.

My husband is a licensed US contractor and project manager. Are there any development investment

opportunities with any groups in the area? Also, having a hard time figuring out what a long-term house rental monthly would cost....3+ bedrooms, walk to beach, security. Any contacts would be helpful.

Any areas that we should stay away from? Playa Pelada vs Guiones? Any feedback from other family's that have relocated from the states.

Thanks so much.

Hi Shamamama, welcome to the forum's. You have asked some pretty 'large' questions here that you may want to also conciser looking into the archives as they have been addressed before. A couple quick points for you. 1) I can't find the America Project....what exactly is that? I found a missing American Project...guessing that is now it? 2) One of the best ways to find housing is word-of-mouth....maybe you can make a trip down before your move? 3) Are you renting a car or shipping? There are pro's and con's to each....make sure you understand your options well. 4) There are numerous places for investment in CR....some good, some not so good. Your husband can't "work" as a foreigner, but he can own a business....make sure you understand the local laws. It may be beneficial to meet with the ARCR folks in San Jose for some additional options as well I am sure you will hear from some folks closer to your destination. Welcome again and enjoy the forums and your Costa Rica adventure!

Laws for construction in the USA are quite different from the ones here. My esposo works with contractors and construction and one of the parts of the job is bribing government agencies to get approvals on blueprints. Just an example of how different things can be.

What type of residency do you plan on applying for?

I'd never heard of it either but I did find the "American Project" on a real estate sales website (http://www.chiquisnosarapropertysales.com/NosaraAreaMaps.html).

As with the others, I'd suggest checking things out before jumping in. Definitely don't buy until you know more.

You didn't mention whether you were bringing all five kids and what type of residency you plan. Kids can be covered with you under some residency categories until age 25.

Finding rentals, and their prices, depends a lot upon what you will accept. There is no substitute for word-of-mouth and seeing it in person. The best recommendation would be to arrange a short term (e.g. B&B ) as a base of operations while searching for longer term... (or deciding the area doesn't meet your expectations...)

Edited by CMinCR

Are you travelling to Nosara in June or moving there? If you are just coming to look around, you should be able to find out what the local real estate market is like.

Your question about the "American project" hints that you want to live apart from the CR community. If that is the case, you may not be happy here.

You need to check on schools for all your children. CR doesn't recognize home schooling. That may impact placing them in school here. It may be okay for them returning to the US. I don't know, but you should find out.

If you are looking for investment opportunities, you will find plenty of people willing to take your money. If you invest before you understand the country and doing business here, don't expect a good outcome.

T

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Tom,

I read this quote on a website about the American Project.

"Today, Nosara is one of the green zones of greatest beauty in all of Costa Rica. Thick rich forest grows in areas that were once razed for the benefit of cattle. Nosara's "Proyecto Americano" or American Project, which includes lots in the northern end of Playa Guiones, Playa Pelada and some of the surrounding hills, is a wonderful example of responsible planning and development."

I'm not looking to immerse myself in the CR culture, nor am I trying to avoid it. I'm just looking for a safe happy place to live with my family for a while.

Another question. CR has grown and continues to get good press and lots of people buying and moving down there. It sounds like prices have gone up because of that. Do you think the country is going to continue to attract foreigners and growth is going to continue? Obviously it's tough to predict a country's growth but do things feel like they are booming or leveling off or dying down? I'm primarily interested in the Pacific Coast. Thank you.

Shamamama

I was in Nosara in 2010 and was "setup" by the property management company and the maid they sent to our house cased it a ripped off everything we had.

In town we hear that most of the properties they manage have had problems. also

dont believe everything you read on "some" website, there is no better info than boots on the ground. buuut, you must learn its hard to know who you can trust. If you want more details please contact me..

i will be going back again but many lessons have been learned and things will be different this time...

good luck btw....

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Tom,

I read this quote on a website about the American Project.

"Today, Nosara is one of the green zones of greatest beauty in all of Costa Rica. Thick rich forest grows in areas that were once razed for the benefit of cattle. Nosara's "Proyecto Americano" or American Project, which includes lots in the northern end of Playa Guiones, Playa Pelada and some of the surrounding hills, is a wonderful example of responsible planning and development."

I'm not looking to immerse myself in the CR culture, nor am I trying to avoid it. I'm just looking for a safe happy place to live with my family for a while.

Another question. CR has grown and continues to get good press and lots of people buying and moving down there. It sounds like prices have gone up because of that. Do you think the country is going to continue to attract foreigners and growth is going to continue? Obviously it's tough to predict a country's growth but do things feel like they are booming or leveling off or dying down? I'm primarily interested in the Pacific Coast. Thank you.

Sounds like a nice place, but it's not as unique as the ad makes it sound. You can find those qualities in many parts of CR, and not all of them are so isolated from hospitals, shopping, and reasonable police protection as Nosara is. In the part of Guanacaste that includes Nosara there are more forests than grasslands-Nosara isn't unique in this quality. In the southern half of Guanacaste there is forest along most all of the Pacific Coast. The beaches near Nosara aren't good for swimming most of the time-better for surfing, but the beaches at Samara and Carillo are very good for families and swimming.

Yes, CR is growing, especially in its middle-class, and prices for nearly everything you pay for each month are rising fast, except maybe for rents and real estate. From what I've seen the prices for real estate are not growing nearly as fast as those for consumer goods and services.

As far as "responsible planning and development", there are many, many areas in CR with little, to no development, so the same could be said for lots of other areas.

It might turn out that Nosara is for you, but you won't have any way to know that until you've lived there for awhile and have explored the MANY other places in CR that you might like more than Nosara.

Nosara is quite isolated from hospitals,shopping etc. Is a surfing area. Dirt road can be very rough in rainy season. Samara also isolated but I like the community much better. All depends what you are looking for.

Having lived about 45 min from Nosara for about 2 years, we were indeed quite isolated. The dirt roads get old very fast. Nosara is a great beach town, and we went swimming (as well as surfing) in Guiones as well....I would definitely agree that it would be important to rent for quite some time before buying anything there....or anywhere else for that matter. We did purchase a condo, and were THRILLED to sell it and be able to move to a more "civilized" area, if you will...I had a "slip and fall" in June of 2013...broke my ankle and we were 6 HOURS from a hospital that could do the required surgery (in San Jose). Yes, Nosara has banks, and a grocery store or two...and a few restaurants...but really, not much else....well, there is a dentist...You can PM me if you like and I can put you in contact with a friend there who rents/sells real estate....I would be happy to provide you with more info. as well. Best of luck!

We've been in Nosara for 5 years now, in Pelada. We love it and cannot think of anywhere else we'd want to be. Monkeys, Pizotes in the back yard almost daily. The "American Project " is a bit off a misnomer. It's not a "gated community", though yes, there are lots of gringos.

It's not for everyone, yes a bit isolated. The roads are the worst in the country, but asphalt is creeping closer every year.

We are in a very quiet corner backing onto the preserve. We see/hear no cars except our one neighbor. Closer to the beach in Guiones, you'll have much more traffic which means dust. Actually the dust is somewhat extreme on the main road in the dry season.

Like everyone says, it is a much better idea to rent before buying. You could do a month rental and look around for something long term. It's easy to buy and hard to sell.

There are doctors in town but the hospital (caja) in Nicoya is 1 hour away. CIMA is 4.5 hours away, although the CIMA in Liberia is open but I don't know what they offer. Nature Air and Sansa service Nosara daily.

Crime here has made the news although we have had NO issues. IMHO the crimes are mostly those of opportunity. Don't leave your stuff lying around and it likely won't disappear.

So it really depends on what you want.

I would really stay away from business here until you really get to know the landscape.

I'll answer any other questions you may have on the forum or PM me.

Rob in Nosara