Does anyone have an idea what is the NORM to give for a high school graduation gift? This is the first time I have been invited to a graduation here in Costa Rica.

Thanks in advance

I'd give an iTunes gift card. I think most high school students would appreciate that. Plus it's not quite the same as in the USA where they need a bunch of money since college is affordable here and they're not moving out.

I'd give an iTunes gift card. I think most high school students would appreciate that. Plus it's not quite the same as in the USA where they need a bunch of money since college is affordable here and they're not moving out.

Thanks Lucybelle I was thinking money, than he will be able to buy something from ITunes.......20,000 colones sound good???

Edited by missy

Missy, we have been invited and attended many graduations, weddings, birthdays and baby showers and with the exception of the baby shower, gifts are not 'expected'. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give a gift but even close family members may chose not do so. You have been invited as part of your community and suggest you do as most others who may attend, and give a card of congratulations. Of course, the decision is yours, but personally I think that 20,000 col is too high and may be more that many workers make per day

Missy, we have been invited and attended many graduations, weddings, birthdays and baby showers and with the exception of the baby shower, gifts are not 'expected'. I'm not saying that you shouldn't give a gift but even close family members may chose not do so. You have been invited as part of your community and suggest you do as most others who may attend, and give a card of congratulations. Of course, the decision is yours, but personally I think that 20,000 col is too high and may be more that many workers make per day

Thank you Costaricafinca for your reply.... a card and a little something it is.

I have attended many Tico/Tica special family/friend celebrations. I agree with CRF. Don't over give. A few tico/ticas told me this makes the others attending feel bad as can't equal. A certificate for hair dresser for female is always good.

I have attended many Tico/Tica special family/friend celebrations. I agree with CRF. Don't over give. A few tico/ticas told me this makes the others attending feel bad as can't equal. A certificate for hair dresser for female is always good.

Thank you Carol

Missy,

You have received some very wise counsel from both CRF and Carol. We need to try to keep in mind that we are in a different culture when in Costa Rica, and try to maintain a 'when in Rome' attitude.

Carol's post above is significantly important for pointing out just how thoroughly egalitarianism does, in fact, pervade tico culture. Doing what we do 'back home' which is second nature to us there, can actually make us appear as gringo 'show-offs' if we do the same in Costa Rica.

Best Regards,

Paul M.

==