• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership.   Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate forum.   Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum.   Paul M. Forums Moderator ==
Wareagle3171

Wedding/moving to Jaco (new to forum)

24 posts in this topic

My fiancé and I are getting married near Jaco and moving there afterwards. Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to getting great info from the sight and can't wait to move!

Welcome to the forum and welcome to Costa Rica! This site is a goldmine of information based on first hand experience and has been invaluable in my transition to living here. What type of residency will you be applying for?

Thanks for the welcome. We are planning on gaining residency based on buying our house. I'm not really even sure what the options are. Our realtor has been helping us out a lot. We still have a lot to figure out and we definitely DO NOT have everything under control haha.

Welcome WarEagle!

You definitely are making a leap. I hope you and your (soon to be) spouse enjoy the transition as much as possible.

Regarding residency, which will take you some time to accomplish. There is a backlog in Immigration because of multiple amnesty periods in the last couple of years. The sooner you start the sooner the problems of living here while waiting for it will cease.

The (very brief description of) primary choices are:

• Pensionado - you need a verifiable pension (e.g. Social Security) of at least $1000/mo guaranteed for life.
  • Rentista - you need to deposit $60,000 and receive a letter from a Costa Rica bank. After two years you'll need another deposit for two years but at the end of your 3rd year you can apply for Permanent residency.
  • Inversionista - you invest in certain types of business that employs Costa Ricans, or (now) purchase property of a certain value.

The first two types of residency include your spouse and under-age children (up to age 25 if enrolled in a Costa Rica university). The Inversionista includes under-age children and may also include college students but others will be able to confirm.

There are a couple of good residency website links (sorry I don't have them handy) in addition to the ARCR page http://arcr.net/residencyincostarica.html Perhaps another member can supply them.

Good luck!

Colin

Edited by CMinCR

Welcome WarEagle!

You definitely are making a leap. I hope you and your (soon to be) spouse enjoy the transition as much as possible.

Regarding residency, which will take you some time to accomplish. There is a backlog in Immigration because of multiple amnesty periods in the last couple of years. The sooner you start the sooner the problems of living here while waiting for it will cease.

The (very brief description of) primary choices are:

• Pensionado - you need a verifiable pension (e.g. Social Security) of at least $1000/mo guaranteed for life.
  • Rentista - you need to deposit $60,000 and receive a letter from a Costa Rica bank. After two years you'll need another deposit for two years but at the end of your 3rd year you can apply for Permanent residency.
  • Inversionista - you invest in certain types of business that employs Costa Ricans, or (now) purchase property of a certain value.
The first two types of residency include your spouse and under-age children (up to age 25 if enrolled in a Costa Rica university). The Inversionista includes under-age children and may also include college students but others will be able to confirm.

There are a couple of good residency website links (sorry I don't have them handy) in addition to the ARCR page http://arcr.net/residencyincostarica.html Perhaps another member can supply them.

Good luck!

Colin

Based on the link we should be good for the investor residency based on our house purchase

Personally, I would suggest to just get married, rent for a while while you get settled, to make sure the area you have chosen is right for you both.

I'm with Costaricafinca......Rent,Rent Rent.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor