Thanx Tiffany!

Another neat language lesson du jour!

My translator friend today also sent me a link to a YouTube video about the current english language as spoken in New Zealand (called NewZild) and what it has evolved to sound like over the centuries, even now kinda starting to mix a bit with the native Maori tongue, along with other languages and english dialects from elsewhere. I found it quite fascinating to hear.

I won't post the YouTube link here since it will show up like the embedded vid in the previous message and anyway this is already WAAAY off-topic. But for anyone here who's interested I'll be glad to send it to you from my munged email address just below my signature in this message. (Don't PM me, please.)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

[ stanhopi ] a [ aol ] punto [ com ]

==

Where is the Gulf of California?

I hate the misuse of I and me and myself.

I hate how Obama says gonna and ta (going to and to).

Snuck is not a word.

Marcia

The Gulf of California is located between mainland Mexico and Baja California, Mexico. It is also called the Sea of Cortéz. It also has a few other names. I dunno why but I'm gonna find out.

Hey Paul, speaking of things NZ, we recently watched a series called Top of the Lake, in So. NZ, and for some of the parts, they really needed subtitles, because we could barely understand them.

B)

I hate the misuse of I and me and myself.

I hate how Obama says gonna and ta (going to and to).

Snuck is not a word.

Mornin' Marcia,

I'm with ya on the I/me/myself misuse. When there is a compound subject like 'she and I' or her and me' we were taught in high school english class that a handy tool for determining whether it is 'I' or 'me' that is correct in a sentence with a compound subject, that we should remove the other subject (plus the 'and') leaving only 'I; or'me' and read the sentence aloud. EX: 'She wants John and I to come over for supper.' If you'll drop 'John and' from the sentence then obviously, 'She wants I to come over for supper,' sounds really wrong.

I use 'gonna' not infrequently in informal posts cuz it's easier to type than 'going to'. Most discussion groups are not so picky that very many of their members are going to take offense at that.

Aside from the article I linked earlier, I just looked up 'snuck' in three different dictionaries and 'snuck' was there as an acceptable alternate from of 'sneaked' in all of the dictionaries I checked. So I believe that the article I linked was well-enough researched to convince me that we have the option of using either of those two forms of 'sneak' and not being sanctioned too terribly for doing so. It's really just a personal preference. And whichever form is used they are both readily understood by most all native english speakers.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Dana, we recently finished binging on Top of the Lake, too. The pronunciation there was hugely cleaned up for the American audience as compared to the way Kiwis actually speak. I'm not sure an American, like the lead character, the american woman, could have mastered it.

My ex-wife has family in New Zealand and back in the mid-60s her cousin visited us in Washington for a week or so. The entire time, I had no idea what she was trying to say. Once, we went to the drugstore to buy cigarettes. The cousin asked for 20 (as if there were a choice), but it came out more like "twinkie" and that's what the clerk tried to sell us, Twinkies. Listening to the cousin, it was a pretty good guess.