Gayle, yes, spelt is a type of wheat. I know nothing of smelt, but I'm sure if smelt it, I'd know what it was.

David, you found the missing words that were at the tip of my brain!

mmmmm smelt...... yum, I miss dipnettin'

definitely NOT 'Pura Vida'.

definitely?

As to "posts #5, #9, and #11" I can find as just many Costa Ricans who have never heard of Murphy nor his law and can think of no equivalent, my wife included. I would suspect that there are educational experience, regional and generational factors at play here and I believe by no means is Murphys Law as common knowledge in Costa Rica as it is to us from the north.

I have found that many sayings, or adages if you will, have origins that predate our countries if not the discovery of the Americas and if I directly translate from English to Spanish my wife generally understands and can provide the Spanish or Tico equivalent. Not so with Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law is of more recent and English origin.

After reading what I have just wrote (written writed ?) I have found no CR equivalent of Murphy's Law and those here that are aware of it have been influenced by the direct translation of the English version.

btw.... have you seen the movie, you need to see the movie

mmmmm smelt...... yum, I miss dipnettin'

definitely?

As to "posts #5, #9, and #11" I can find as just many Costa Ricans who have never heard of Murphy nor his law and can think of no equivalent, my wife included. I would suspect that there are educational experience, regional and generational factors at play here and I believe by no means is Murphys Law as common knowledge in Costa Rica as it is to us from the north.

I have found that many sayings, or adages if you will, have origins that predate our countries if not the discovery of the Americas and if I directly translate from English to Spanish my wife generally understands and can provide the Spanish or Tico equivalent. Not so with Murphy's Law. Murphy's Law is of more recent and English origin.

After reading what I have just wrote (written writed ?) I have found no CR equivalent of Murphy's Law and those here that are aware of it have been influenced by the direct translation of the English version.

btw.... have you seen the movie, you need to see the movie

Mornin' Criollo,

That phrase in spanish is not endemic to Costa Rica, but is found in various spanish speaking countries,. At least that was my impression from the discussions I read online in spanish about the phrase. The participants were from several Latin American countries.

JFWIW . . .

Paul M.

==

I know nothing of smelt, but I'm sure if smelt it, I'd know what it was.

Tiffany, 'smelt' is also the name of a kind of small silver fish, about 4-inches long. They come ashore during a Spring (high) tide to spawn and lay eggs. The females halfway bury themselves tail-first in the sand to lay eggs and the males wrap themselves around a female to effect fertilization of the eggs as they are being laid. The whole effect is that of a wild frenzy, which of course it is.

During this spawning, thousands and thousands of smelts come on shore and locals with buckets go down to collect them as they are good to eat and plentiful for the picking (up)..

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

My, my, how ... intriguing. I'm certainly glad I've never smelt a smelt frenzy, as it surely would've been burnt into the dark recesses of my brain for the rest of my days. Well, at least the smelt machos don't seem in danger of being spurnt by their hembra companions ...

Mornin' Paul, como amaneció?

After some more research I got the same impression. And after reviewing the movie again. the phrase "Pura Vida" seems to be used as more of a response to Murphy's Law situations rather than a statement of Murphy's Law itself.

Mas adagios para su lectura:

“No estar mal, por que pago mal” (CR)

“No pensar mal, por que pago mal” (CR)

“Éramos pocos y parió la abuela” (MEX?)

Tiffany, 'smelt' is also the name of a kind of small silver fish, about 4-inches long. They come ashore during a Spring (high) tide to spawn and lay eggs. The females halfway bury themselves tail-first in the sand to lay eggs and the males wrap themselves around a female to effect fertilization of the eggs as they are being laid. The whole effect is that of a wild frenzy, which of course it is.

During this spawning, thousands and thousands of smelts come on shore and locals with buckets go down to collect them as they are good to eat and plentiful for the picking (up)..

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Paul,

I believe you have mistaken grunion for smelt.

Steve [native Michigander]

Paul,

I believe you have mistaken grunion for smelt.

Steve ,

You may be right about grunion, but there are a number of different types of smelts,. Still, the PBS program I was watching the other night was referring to them as smelts.

More research is necessary, apparently.

Paul M.

==