Undecided

Cost to install a Septic system

Thanks for your replies. I will give more details.

My wife (who is Costa Rican) has just installed the Septic system on her lot in Liberia. She purchased a tank, stone, pvc pipes etc.. from the local hardware store. They would have advised her on what was needed. She also installed a toilet and sink. Had it installed in 2 days with the help of about 7 Tico's relatives and some friends and some of them have done this before. Total cost for system including labour was $2,000.

I was trying to figure out if that was a good price but based on the replies i'm guessing she did well.

System is up and running good. One minor leak had to be fixed around the sink or toilet.

It's kind of too bad you didn't write all that in your first post. You kind of sent us all in the wrong direction. Anyway, glad it worked out for you.

Talked to my vecino last night who replaced the tank (plastic and field) for about $1200. Just got off the phone with the owner of the local ferrerteria (before logging on here) who said he could hook me up with material and labor for around $2000 also, including gravel and lastre. FYI

undecided, btw I found your original post to be quite clear in your request.

Edited by Criollo

Well, Criollo, the question was quite clear. But rather than jumping on here to describe some various ways to do it, if we had all known that it was already done, we could have skipped to your two very useful posts describing the costs of materials and your conversation with el dueno de la ferreteria.

Thanks. Sorry if i sent any of you in the wrong direction on my original post but i had no idea what a Septic system should cost or what would be involved but i appreciate the information that was provided. I can see that there could be many options and a wide range of prices.

Anyway, all is good.

Glad I could be of service and help confirm that your costs were in line with what others have encountered.

Pura vida!

Edited by Criollo

Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to install a Septic system on a small property for a 2 bedroom Tico style house? I am trying to get an idea of the price for the Septic system and cost for the Labour.

Thanks.

The cost is minimal, as in Costa Rica we simple tip over a culvert, stick a pipe in it, and cover it up. There are no septic system regulations in Costa Rica.

If you are installing a proper system UNDER PERMIT it must conform to the Costa Rica health and building code. This was specified in our permit application.

..... There are no septic system regulations in Costa Rica.

If you think Costa Rica has no regulations, think again.

http://www.digeca.go.cr/documentos/legislacion/Reglamento%20Aprobacion%20Operacion%20Sistemas%20Tratamiento%20Aguas%20Residuales.pdf por ejemplo

And if you think no one is watching, just wait until you receive an "Acta de Suspension Municipal". In some cases it might be your vecino the constructor who lost out on the work is the one who may report you.

Edited by Criollo

Years ago, we were put in this position, when we received an "Acta de Suspension Municipal" when bypassing a architect/contractor and whose father wanted to sell us a very narrow strip of land to access power, for more than we purchased another 6 Acres of land...with an old Tico house on it. The building inspector said, they had been constantly complaining to him, until he viewed the renovation, and then said 'great work...continue."

As an extranjero you will always want to stick to doing things properly...

Here is a site I've come across in my internet travels that may be of interest. (No experience with them, but will call them for my next project)

You can also download basic plans and installation here.

http://www.lacasadeltanque.com/app/cms/www/index.php?id_menu=2&pk_categoria=66&parent_pk_categoria=43

(The simple grey water systems I've see constructed lately generally include a simple concrete grease trap as well. You will see a modern version of this in the above link)

I do have experience with the septic tanks in the link. Indeed, the supplier calls it "fosa biológica". This kind of tank is mandatory for some municipality, like Coronado.

The cost is around a 50% of the regular concrete blocks septic tank we usually design and build.

Then, it is right, it depends of the kind of soil to decide about the drainages. For a very average soil, 24 meters long drainages should be good enough for a house where 6 people are living.

Nevertheless, the ideal procedure would be asking for soil test, in order to know the capability of the stratums to hold the weight of buildings and its capability to absorb the residual waters from the tank.

There is also a manual procedure to measure how fast the waters would go through and then calculating the proper length of the drainages in a field. You can find it in the website of Colegio Federado de Ingenieros de Costa Rica (CFIA); its name is "prueba de infiltración" (it is just in Spanish, sorry). It is a technical procedure to do on the land with formulas for calculating the results and maybe someone would like to try it.

I do have experience with the septic tanks in the link. Indeed, the supplier calls it "fosa biológica". This kind of tank is mandatory for some municipality, like Coronado.

The cost is around a 50% of the regular concrete blocks septic tank we usually design and build.

Then, it is right, it depends of the kind of soil to decide about the drainages. For a very average soil, 24 meters long drainages should be good enough for a house where 6 people are living.

Nevertheless, the ideal procedure would be asking for soil test, in order to know the capability of the stratums to hold the weight of buildings and its capability to absorb the residual waters from the tank.

There is also a manual procedure to measure how fast the waters would go through and then calculating the proper length of the drainages in a field. You can find it in the website of Colegio Federado de Ingenieros de Costa Rica (CFIA); its name is "prueba de infiltración" (it is just in Spanish, sorry). It is a technical procedure to do on the land with formulas for calculating the results and maybe someone would like to try it.

We call this a Perk test.