Sign in to follow this  
newman

world wide travel alert

Here are my thoughts:

1. To actually affect those of us living in Costa Rica, the most likely scenario would be a nuclear explosion. I live in an area where the prevailing winds are from the Caribbean, so depending on the site of the explosion, radiation may or may not reach me. I can't see that "nerve gas" would be an issue. There's no reason to target Costa Rica - or really anywhere close - and I think it would be dispersed before reaching here. I don't really care what happens to a customs officer at JFK and reporting that kind of thing looks like: "The sky is falling!" when really, it's nothing.

2. Every person needs to have an emergency plan. Whether this will include a plan for a nuclear disaster is up to the person.

3. Part of a long-term emergency plan could be a plan to grow one's own food, move to another area, etc. in addition to various food supplies or medicines or gasoline for a vehicle.

4. "Early warnings" such as fleets moving or GPS dithering or embassies closing are pretty much meaningless. What is meaningful is consistent news reports from trusted sources of a bomb blast of such proportions that it would affect those of us living in Costa Rica or collapse of an influential government such as the US.

5. Last, but most important: There is no such thing as "security." The real security in this world is in your head, your heart and your hands. Whatever happens in a world gone mad, you will just have to deal with it in your own way.

I agree with you Eleanor, CR is very low on the list of just about anybody in the world to attack. Back in the Cold war era, the Panama canal was certainly a target.

As for preparing for an emergency, being from California, we always had an earthquake 'kit' available. Still do, Costa Rica has plenty of seismic activity, and who knows when one of the volcanoes may blow its top. I'd be much more concerned over this eventuality than of a poison gas attack by Al Quack-Quack.

Dana

Foil hats don't work... "they" have already figured out a 'work-around'

Getting soused.... always a viable option. (brew my own and have mi suegros guaro recipe)

Preppers..... decent show but old news to those of us who grew up during the cold war.

Agreed Costa Rica is a small target and we should be relatively immune from various global threats (especially those of us in remote areas already essentially self sufficient)

(but not totally..remember the toothpaste, among others)

Recalling my military training from back in the Cold War days, by the time a person shows symptoms of nerve agent exposure any antidote, treatment or escape is too late. You're a gonner. For those reasons we were never issued nerve agent antidote. The antidote was deadly to those who were not exposed to nerve agent. More people died from the antidote than ever did due to nerve agent exposure.

The blood agent antidote, amyle nitrate was a different story. Issued in glass ampules to be broken and placed inside of the gas mask these became known as "poppers", a popular party drug in the 80's. Therefore the military stopped issuing the ampules to troops.

So those in the "front lines" of a possible attack were, well, screwed. That's the bad news. The good news is I doubt that Costa Rica has ever been threatened with chemical warfare. Nor do I see a threat arising.

I also find it interesting that certain IP's are being blocked from accessing the ARCR forum today. Explain this naysayers.Serious explanations appreciated. Mark, I rememer practicing the PSA's 'Duck and Cover' yea right .

Edited by Criollo

You're right, as usual, Mark, but just to be sure we should all continue to sleep high in the trees with the sloths and howler monkeys to avoid the heavier-than-air nerve agents that we could possibly (but not likely) be exposed to. It's probably more comfortable than Sr. newman sleeping on top of his car in his gas mask.

certain IP addresses, I can not speak for internet service providers (ISP). I can only access through a VPN. I am not paranoid. I know there are people out to get me :( ( no one here ,yet, I hope) . I just find it odd, that's all. Thanks for asking.

I am sure there is a logical explanation (being an Engineer and Scientist). I've tried changing DNS's to no avail. Probably a problem with my local ICE server. It happens alot out here in the sticks. (but really it's only accessing ARCR that I have a problem with among my usual sites, both local (CR) and abroad.

Edited by Criollo

Sorry for the typo.

So...... the answer is..... YOU were not able to access the ARCR forum for a time? And you consider this someone "blocking" you? Or someone blocking "certain IP's"?

en serio?

I can understand one having a problem understanding the difference between IP address (Internet Protocol Address) and ISP (Internet Service Provider). Sorry accepted.

The answer is…What answer.?...No one has yet to provide an answer, as far as I can see.

The facts are :

1: I have not been able to access ARCR through normal protocols today. Only through a VPN (as previously posted) todavia!

2: I have not ascribed said blocking to anyone (or someone) in particular. (non-access = blocking , intentional or not)

3: I am sure there is a logical (read technical) explanation (also previously posted)

Again: " Serious explanations appreciated "

Edited by Criollo

Sorry to trouble you with my frivolous questions. However, it's the kind of question someone might ask when confronted with a statement like this:

"......certain IP's are being blocked from accessing the ARCR forum today..."

I have a couple of "serious explanations" as to why you would not be able to access the ARCR forum, but at this point, I am thinking: "Why bother?"

You obviously have an agenda that is way beyond anything that would accept a couple of rational, technical answers.

Actually, what I am thinking is -- Why do I keep participating in this forum?

Me thinks if your IP address were "somehow" blocked, the proverbial poop would hit the fan! Criollo is trying to understand why he cannot access the forum. I recently had the same type of problem and Tim was able to get me going again.

attention all fórum members - tonight on the National Geographic channel, they are airing a program called DOOMSDAY CASTLE - possibly those members who are interested can accumulate at the appropriate television channel to enjoy their hot chocolate and pop corn?