Sign in to follow this  
newman

world wide travel alert

anyone heard of a worldwide mass E-Mail alert to US citizens living abroad? - supposedly issued today, 02 August by the US State Department - expires 31 August - doing further research I've come across internet discussions saying that the Emergency Action Message (EAM) traffic has been extremely active the last couple of days!! EAM is associated with Sky King broadcasts..........

just my personal opinión that everyone should be aware of this information!

Hey Newman,

That info has been pretty much all over the news the last several days and on many TV news broadcasts, as well.

The US State Department seems to be taking it seriously.

Just FIWI . . .

Paul M.

==

SKY KING broadcasts were used in the late 50's/early 60's for communication to nuclear armed B-52 bombers (CHROME DOME) aloft 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, flying on the border of the Soviet Unión! With the in flight fire, and crash of one of these B-52 bombers near Thule AFB Greenland, McNamara terminated CHROME DOME because of the increasing use of Minuteman missiles in underground silos. SKY KING broadcasts continue till the present! We are talking serious stuff here!!!!!!!

newman: Can you explain exactly what SKY KING is and what it does and who is in charge of it?

As far as I can tell from various news sources, the threat is mainly for the Middle East but in a total overabundance of caution, a more widespread alert was issued. I'm not sure what this has to do with anything in or of Costa Rica. Although.... my former neighbor built a huge house on his property and it's rumored he's from Iran and has a concrete bunker in his basement that will be used for storing arms and ammunition. This news comes from the tin-foil hat brigade.

Out of the clear blue of the western sky comes [/size]Sky King[/size], a WWII naval aviator-[/size]turned rancher, who flies his twin-engine Cessna high above the Arizona plains.[/size]

T[/size]

Yeah, yeah . . . Easy for you to say, but what were the names of the niece and nephew? "Penny" and ______ .

SKY KING is a US military Command and Control preformatted message issued to nuclear capable forces - see Wikipedia for SKY KING/CHROME DOME/Command and Control...........

with Israels concerns about Iranian nuclear capabilities, situation in Syria, Muslim extemist, and other belligerent countries around the world, all of us could very well be seriously harmed by ongoing events!!!!

I received the email. This is it:

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens to the continued potential for terrorist attacks, particularly in the Middle East and North Africa, and possibly occurring in or emanating from the Arabian Peninsula. Current information suggests that al-Qa’ida and affiliated organizations continue to plan terrorist attacks both in the region and beyond, and that they may focus efforts to conduct attacks in the period between now and the end of August. This Travel Alert expires on August 31, 2013.

Terrorists may elect to use a variety of means and weapons and target both official and private interests. U.S. citizens are reminded of the potential for terrorists to attack public transportation systems and other tourist infrastructure. Terrorists have targeted and attacked subway and rail systems, as well as aviation and maritime services. U.S. citizens should take every precaution to be aware of their surroundings and to adopt appropriate safety measures to protect themselves when traveling.

We continue to work closely with other nations on the threat from international terrorism, including from al-Qa'ida. Information is routinely shared between the U.S. and our key partners in order to disrupt terrorist plotting, identify and take action against potential operatives, and strengthen our defenses against potential threats.

We recommend U.S. citizens register their travel plans with the Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy through the State Department's travel registration website. We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens Traveling abroad enroll in the Department of State's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollment gives you the latest security updates, and makes it easier for the U.S. embassy or nearest U.S. consulate to contact you in an emergency. If you don't have Internet access, enroll directly with the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

For the latest security information, U.S. citizens traveling abroad should regularly monitor the Department of State's Internet website attravel.state.gov where theWorldwide Caution, Country Specific Information, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts can be found. Follow us on Twitter and the Bureau of Consular Affairs page on Facebook as well. Download our free Smart Traveler app, available through iTunes or Google Play, to have travel information at your fingertips.

In addition to information on the internet, travelers may obtain up-to-date information on security conditions by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or, from other countries, on a regular toll line at 1-202-501-4444. These numbers are available from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm Monday through Friday, Eastern Time (except U.S. federal holidays).

Hi Mark.

Your post above containing that DoS alert should help to put a large percentage of our Forums Members' minds at ease.

Thanx!

Paul M.

==

Newman: How does the message get to you - are you "signed up" for it or what? How does it affect those of us living in Costa Rica? I googled as you recommended but really got nothing. If this is so important to us, how about spending 5 minutes explaining?

Sorry, but to me, this seems like "Much Ado About Nothing." It reminds me of a time when I worked as Assistant City Clerk in a small coastal town. There was a huge storm that did a lot of damage in the area and there had been no notifications or warnings to anyone of the coming bad weather. After the City Council chastised the agency responsible for not sending a warning, the FAX machine in City Hall was busy all day long with incoming FAXES from that agency about potential weather problems and just plain weather forecasts. Finally, the Clerk called them and said, "Enough already! We got the point!"

And yeah, I'm all excited about "registering" with a government that is spying on its citizens on a 24-hour basis. Yeah.

And David, good on you for remembering Penny! I had to look up "Sky King" to see that the nephew was named........ Clipper!

Edited by eleanorcr

No, I'm not signed up for anything - I just do my homework - the situation in the Mideast is the most dangerous I have ever seen it - with Israel wanting to attack Iran, the Soviet Unión involved in it warning the US stay out of it, this could very easily go nuclear - the high increase in SKY KING traffic indicates the seriousness - a distinct possibility exists that we could be in a thermo nuclear war within days - an Elecromagnetic Pulse from a nuclear detonation would destroy a vast amount of our electronic communication, transportation systems, fuel supplies etc.

That's how it could affect us all