Sign in to follow this  

speaking of the economy and problems in Costa Rica - I continue my ongoing wait (days) for a decisión from Clínica Biblica as to whether they want me to spend MY money in their establishment -

I am sure they worry about that every day :-)

speaking of the economy and problems in Costa Rica - I continue my ongoing wait (days) for a decisión from Clínica Biblica as to whether they want me to spend MY money in their establishment -

It's not clear to you yet?

this is the strangest thing I'vwe ever run up asgainst in my life - a business that doesn't want me to spend my money in??? ABSURD1!!!!!!!!!!!!

They should worry about that! Their country is failing, their government is bankrupt, no one wants to come here to invest, their infrastructure is crumbling, and they can't decide if they want someone to spend their money in their businesses??

Having spent part of my work life in the private sector, I can assure you that there is always business you don't want. And then there's business you wish you hadn't accepted.

Really, Newman you should take the hint and take your money some place else who wants your business.

Edited by jimvignola

Now, just a minute - I don't know how long any of you have lived here, and I don't care -what I do know is that I've lived here for 11 years and have run into this attitude since day one - what you need to know is that when I first came here 11 years ago, the first Gringo I met informed me of this problem (the fact that when you went into a store and needed help they wouldn't even talk to you), here in Costa Rica. Now this Gentlemen came here in 1962, owned and operated several hotels in San Jose, made a barrel of money here, and died at the age of believe 96, in 2008 after living here for 46 years (he was from Florida) He refused to even go look for supplies for his pool because of the attitude of the Ticos, towards their customers! Now, I don't know how many retirees are here on Social Security in Costa Rica, or how many of them frequent these forums? What I do know, is that most of them are living on a fixed income, and need medical services that they may or may not be able to pay for. The thing is if any of them have the funds, and are being jacked around because of a problem with a credit/debit card reader, this is not right!! It obviously has never occurred to you that have the "wise" comebacks, or to the ARCR that maybe we, those who pay dues to the, ARCR, and to those of us who freqeunt these forums, that we may be saving some guy or lady a whole lot of heartburn (and maybe even their life) somewhere down the road if everyone takes this subject seriously! Now, you can insult me, throw stones at me, ridicule me, but don't ever call me a liar!! I have always acted with the utmost respect and courteously toward all those involved with my business dealings at Clinica Biblica. I can assure you all that if you haven't run into this problem here in Tico Land previously, your day is coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, what I can tell you is that in the eight years that we've been here, during which time we've bought one new car and one used one and built two houses, we have never encountered customer service any more insensitive or indifferent than what you'd expect in your local U.S. Walmart, Sears, Best Buy or Home Depot. I've not patronized Clinic Biblica, but the care and the treatment I've received at CIMA have been on a par with what I experienced in Michigan and North Carolina.

I'm a firm believer in the notion that the response you receive is largely dependent upon the attitude you project. If you behave like a gentleman or lady, you'll be treated like one; behave like an ass and you know what to expect. Things will be different (ideal, that is) in American Samoa, of course.

Edited by David C. Murray

I have found "customer service" here to be a "mixed bag" - really just like anywhere else.

I have walked into a store where I was the only customer, 3 clerks talking to each other and after 3-4 minutes, couldn't be bothered to wait on me. I walked out.

I have walked into a store where people were reluctant to wait on me until I say something in Spanish and then they figure out they don't have to deal with the HORRORS of speaking English!

Yesterday, I bought a few things from a small store near my house: two "cartons" of eggs, a watermelon and a can of beans. After I paid, the clerk didn't put my stuff in a bag and started waiting on the next customer. Really? She finally looked at me and said..... "Una bolsita?" But I like the owner of the store, it's very convenient to my house and I'll shop there again, for sure since this is not the usual way I am treated.

On the other hand, I have had great experiences with most shops and stores and restaurants where people are helpful, smiling and seem happy to see me. I enjoyed my time in a tiny beauty parlor where the daughter of the lady cutting my hair was feeding arroz con pollo to the toddler granddaughter. They just included me in the conversation about this and that like ladies everywhere who chat.

What do I do when I have poor or no customer service? I walk away. They are not going to change and I then just go elsewhere with my money.

Yesterday, I bought a few things from a small store near my house: two "cartons" of eggs, a watermelon and a can of beans. After I paid, the clerk didn't put my stuff in a bag and started waiting on the next customer. Really? She finally looked at me and said..... "Una bolsita?" But I like the owner of the store, it's very convenient to my house and I'll shop there again, for sure since this is not the usual way I am treated.

Eleanor,

So, was that a new employee in the that store who did not realize that you were a regular customer?

Just guessing that that might've been the reason for her attitude/action.

Then again, maybe not...

Regards,

Paul M.

==

I guess I was kind of floored that ANY clerk would not automatically offer a "bolsita" for the items I purchased. Even with a couple more hands and arms, I would have been hard-pressed to handle what I bought without a bag.

No, she's not new. Maybe just having a "brain fart?" Yeah, it happens to all of us.