Affirdable healthcare act "Obamacare"

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what anyone has to says about the Affordable healthcare act or "Obamacare" and US Expats living abroad, are they exempt from this Tax?

Is having the Caja enough? I know people that couldn't afford insurance in the US, came here because of the cheap healthcare system.

Missy

Edited by missy

It's my understanding that if you are living full-time in Costa Rica and thus have access to health insurance, you are not required to participate in the new health initiative.

Thank you eleanorcr that is what I thought also, but have been told by some that I have to pay for insurance in the US also or I will be Taxed.

Not being an American, I won't answer the 'Obamacare' part of your question... :rolleyes:

Regarding the other part, ' ís CAJA enough'? I would say 'no'. You should have a Plan B, to fall back on, either some another health plan or finances in place to pay for private health care when neccessary.

Thank You costaricafinca, I do have a plan B. I was just wondering if the Caja would be enough as of being insured and not being fined.

It's my understanding that if you are living full-time in Costa Rica and thus have access to health insurance, you are not required to participate in the new health initiative.

Wishfull thinking as CAJA is not Medical Insurance! I have given MY UNDERSTANDING on this matter many times on other threads.

Edited by tibas9

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering what anyone has to says about the Affordable healthcare act or "Obamacare" and US Expats living abroad, are they exempt from this Tax?

Is having the Caja enough? I know some people came because they couldn't afford insurance in the US.

Missy

NOPE!

I don't agree with you, Tibas9. There was another discussion about this and maybe you should refer to that.

If you have some kind of reference for your negative statement, I would like to read it.

Just because I do not agree with you does not make it a negative statement and as I recall regarding the other lenghty discussions on this matter I did not agree with you and others either.

Time will be the judge who was right on the money.

Edited by tibas9

Well, I guess that in my mind, "NOPE" tend to be a negative. I guess I'll have to look for the other discussion.

Do you have something I can read that says that all US citizens living abroad will have to pay?

Update: After writing that, I googled "obamacare for us citizens living abroad" and found this: http://americansabroad.org/issues/healthcare/obamacare-does-not-apply-abroad/

So it looks like whether you agree with it or not, Tibas9, Caja coverage is considered "minimal" so we won't have to pay.

Edited by eleanorcr

Well, I guess that in my mind, "NOPE" tend to be a negative. I guess I'll have to look for the other discussion.

Do you have something I can read that says that all US citizens living abroad will have to pay?

Update: After writing that, I googled "obamacare for us citizens living abroad" and found this: http://americansabroad.org/issues/healthcare/obamacare-does-not-apply-abroad/

So it looks like whether you agree with it or not, Tibas9, Caja coverage is considered "minimal" so we won't have to pay.

As I stated above only time will tell.

In fact, it has been posted many times on this forum that expats living outside the US for 330 days per IRS regs, are exempt from having to pay for 'Obama Care'. I think this info is also posted on the US embassy site as well.

So, those who live "full time" outside the US -DO NOT- have to pay for US health insurance, or Obama Care.

BUT, if you do travel back to the US on a regular basis, it will necessitate keeping this time limit in mind.

Dana

Edited by DanaJ