• Announcements

• Epicatt2

IMPORTANT - READ BEFORE POSTING to SUPPORT FORUM   01/28/2011

Posts to this Support Forum are to be related ONLY to one's ARCR membership. Posts inappropriate to the Support Forum will be removed without comment. Please post all other types of questions to the appropriate Forum. Only Forums Moderators, Administrators and ARCR Employees ae able to make any replies to this ARCR Support Forum. Paul M. Forums Moderator ==

eleanorcr    0

Don't do it!

For rentals, you best bet is to find an area that you like, ask around and look around. Also check La Nacion for classified ads. Sometimes Craigslist has some good rentals - but mostly, things are done by word of mouth in Costa Rica so if you go through an agency or rent something online, you will pretty much always pay more.

ramsey    0

Eleanor is right on...

There are B&B's pretty much all over the Central Valley. I would recommend going this route until you find the area that is right for you.

Good luck!

Epicatt2    0

Pete,

Both answers above are on target. Also if you choose a B&B in an area you are interested in exploring, you can save some money by staying at that B&B at weekly or monthly rates and doing day-trips to interesting surrounding towns.

Once you have explored one area, move on to another area of interest and book a B&B as above and do more day-trips.

Because you stay at a B&B for a week or longer you will become better acquainted with each area and can start to ask around if anyone knows of something for rent. Most times the nicer places come open for rent and are snapped up almost immediately. They don't even bother to advertise them. It is word of mouth.

The are times you may hear about something that is going to be available in a week or two and to talk to the landlord as soon as possible after you hear about it. That way you get your foot in the door first, so to speak, and get choice of first refusal.

Hope this helps...

Paul M.

==

DanaJ    0

There are a couple in Atenas, but you can find them with Google. We never used them, but some people I know said they were helpful in finding an initial place to stay until they decided on a more permanent location. You will pay a premium going thru a real estate agent.

Dana

CanuckPete    0

Thank you all, but I am looking for a one-year lease, so B&B's are not practical. I just spend 3 months in the country, so know the areas in the central valley I would like to live.

Peter

eleanorcr    0

The point is: find a small hotel or B&B in the area you know you want to live. Then, look around and ask around about rentals. If money is no object, go to a realtor. But for the best rentals at the best price, word of mouth is where it's at. The other "best" choice would be the classified ads in La Nacion.

- Drive around or walk around or take a taxi and ride around neighborhoods you like and look for "Se Aquila" signs or even just empty houses that you like the looks of. Ask neighbors how to contact the owner. Most signs will have a phone number.

- Ask around: taxi drivers, people in restaurants, staff at your hotel or B&B. If you like a neighborhood, stop and ask someone living in the area if there is anything for rent nearby.

Epicatt2    0

Thank you all, but I am looking for a one-year lease, so B&B's are not practical. I just spend 3 months in the country, so know the areas in the central valley I would like to live.

Peter,

Please re-read my previous post. I was not recommending that you live in a B&B, only that you use one (or more) as a HQ to explore an area while you search for suitable longer-term rentals.

Eleanor just above has also restated my suggestion.

Remember you will not be 'in Kansas anymore', but in ticolandia, and things work differently there. That is why we (Eleanor & I) suggested doing what we did. It does work and you stand a chace of finding everybit as nice a rental but for somewhat less money. If you use a professional intermediary to help you you'll wind up paying extra in the rental price for having used their service.

Or.... You can choose not to believe us and do it your way. 'Nuff said!

Good Luck in either event.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

CanuckPete    0

Peter,

Please re-read my previous post. I was not recommending that you live in a B&B, only that you use one (or more) as a HQ to explore an area while you search for suitable longer-term rentals.

Eleanor just above has also restated my suggestion.

Remember you will not be 'in Kansas anymore', but in ticolandia, and things work differently there. That is why we (Eleanor & I) suggested doing what we did. It does work and you stand a chace of finding everybit as nice a rental but for somewhat less money. If you use a professional intermediary to help you you'll wind up paying extra in the rental price for having used their service.

Or.... You can choose not to believe us and do it your way. 'Nuff said!

Good Luck in either event.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Thank you so much -- I would not ask for advice were I then going to ignore. it. What you and Eleanor have said makes sense. It's just that I had little luck north of Alajuela in looking for a place. I recognize the costs associated with an agency, and would, of course, prefer to avoid them.

Peter

ps any recommendations for B&B's in the Escazu/Santa Ana area?

Epicatt2    0

Thank you so much -- I would not ask for advice were I then going to ignore. it. What you and Eleanor have said makes sense. It's just that I had little luck north of Alajuela in looking for a place. I recognize the costs associated with an agency, and would, of course, prefer to avoid them.

Hi again Peter,

Let me add to Eleanor's and my earlier suggestions for establishing a B&B as HQ to explore an area from . . .

As Eleanor mentioned (and I wholly agree with her), many things are done word-of-mouth in CR. So, until you start making some local acquaintances (and NOT necessarily gringo expats, though they might could be held apart as a last resort option) who may know a friend or relative who knows someone whose uncle or neighbor is going have a house to rent now, or soon. So once you start making some local contacts that way you will then have some resources whom you can inquire of.

And, it could even be the waiter or waitress at a local soda you start eating lunch at. Casually make a comment that you like the area and are considering renting a house if you can find one. Simple as that. But in the meanwhile you will be starting to acquaint yourself with the area you are in, which will be helpful eventually in deciding whether that area interests you as an place to stay in. . . . Basically, take your time and don't rush. (The cogs turn somewhat more slowly in CR.) Soak up the local ambience and it benefits and also try to see what are the drawbacks fo the area you're investigating.

You will find it amazing that once you drop that 'hint to rent' that offers will come seemingly out of the woodwork! And now, at this point is where having made a couple tico acquaintances whom you maybe can ask to come along with you to look at a place and maybe even help you bargain for a better rental price with the landlord if your spanish is not up to snuff yet.

Then if an area ultimately proves less desirable, try another area and repeat the process. in so doing you will be learning what's where and finding suitable areas, or eliminating them, but eventually thru this M.O. you'll find a longer term rental place which will allow you to slow down further and look for someplace that even more appeals to you as an even long(er)-term residence. And by having learned your way around various areas you should be able to make a wiser choice in a more suitable or convenient location for yourself.

I won't go on. You're an intelligent sort and can easily fill in the rest of the blanks pretty much, by using the above outline.

Anyway take your time and don't rush into anything. If someone urges a bargain on you that 'just won't last; hurry!', well, never fear... There will always be another good option to come along shortly. And if you have learned what an area offers, you will be better able to recognize whether a proffered bargain there is really a bargain or not.

Again, good luck!

Paul lM.

==

margotex    0

Peter.....Craigslist is ok......try also looking on Encuentra 24....lots of rentals on that site too! If you are looking for a b and b for a few nights and some help from great owners....stay at Vida Tropical in Alajuela...you won't be sorry! Also, post on Yahoo costa rica living ( like Arcr forum ) ........ and ask if anyone knows of anything.......... like you are looking for...ya never know..they are helpful and informative! Buen Suerte ! You could maybe find something in an area that you like...rent for a month...if you don't like it...you will hear of other places , while you have been there a month....there is lots of nice places..you need to be here to find them..though..so you can see them and NOT rent..site , unseen!

Margo

DanaJ    0

Not all towns have a "real estate" office that has rentals, most only have homes or properties for sale for the expats looking for such. As for the online listings, the landlords will probably be Costa Ricans, so be prepared to speak Spanish.

However, we know some people that are looking in the San Ramon area, and have found a RE agent that also has some rentals, so I will try to find out the info for you, if you are interested in that area, PM me. The rentals may be high end places tho.

Dana

It would be better to decide on which area you prefer before you look at rentals. This could take some time, but it is preferable than finding out your chosen area isn't what you really wanted.

Suggest you do not sign a long term lease until you are really sure you like the area.

Some of the 'agents' I have met over the years have made it perfectly clear, that they don't waste there time, showing houses in a variety of areas, if someone has not yet decided where they want to live. They called it 'playing tourguide'.

CanuckPete    0

It would be better to decide on which area you prefer before you look at rentals. This could take some time, but it is preferable than finding out your chosen area isn't what you really wanted.

Suggest you do not sign a long term lease until you are really sure you like the area.

Some of the 'agents' I have met over the years have made it perfectly clear, that they don't waste there time, showing houses in a variety of areas, if someone has not yet decided where they want to live. They called it 'playing tourguide'.

Having just spent 2 months in CR doing such scouting, I do know the area I would consider -- lower rental areas of Esczu, Santa Ana, Alajuela, and at a stretch, Grecia or Ciudad Colon. I know I want to be at some elevation, preferably on the south side of the valley. Also know I want "ground-orientation" -- no condos or fancy gringo resorts.

Thank you,

Peter

Although you mentioned in an earlier post that B&B's are not what you are looking for, a problem could be, finding what you want that is

1) vacant

2) ready for you to move into

3) a price that is acceptable.

Just recently, two members of this forum terminated their rental properties, for different reasons after finding out what they thought was the perfect accommodation, turned out to be 'not so perfect', for them after all.

This B&B's on the old road to Santa Ana, is owned and operated by a young Canadian couple. We have known them for years and have also stayed there.

If you contact them, they may make you a special deal...

Or less expensive, book a months rental, elsewhere, while you look around

I went back to one of your earlier posts where you say you intend to move in Oct. Now, you know that this can be the wettest month in CR :D but at this time of year many other Snowbirds will also be arriving.

Believe us when we say look around first, as you won't know if the neighbors have roosters, the dogs bark all night or the local the local Karaoke bar is nearer than you thought. :o

Edited by costaricafinca