health care (jws, if we remained in the US, we'd be among your 40 million uninsured, alas) ... climate (at 4000' or around 1175 m) ... wildlife (who knew that hummingbirds are so mean to each other or that a dragonfly would prefer perching on the end of my finger to the flower I offered it?) ... people ... culture ... being able to get gasoline for the same price everywhere (yes, the cost is high, but that keeps us from wasting it: do we really to make that trip into town?) ... etc, etc.

And, Jim, some people are always chasing the "best" or "cheapest" location to retire. I've made the comment before about (to me) the importance of forging connections within the local community, but that's important to me, probably not to some others. It all depends!

regards,

Gayle

Saw the title and thought it was about the recent futbol match.

We beat Panama 2-0!!!

GO TICOS!!!

I have spent time in both Costa Rica and Panama. Health care is a major consideration in my decision to come to Costa Rica. The incentives benefits can quickly be erased with one major medical event out of pocket. It is harder to budget when you have no real idea as to something that you cannot control. You can chose to drink box wine or cook in or go with out a new cell phone but the health care cost are not so adjustable. CAJA is a safety net. Please spend some time in both before making a choice. Best wishes

Ed

I have spent time in both Costa Rica and Panama. Health care is a major consideration in my decision to come to Costa Rica. The incentives benefits can quickly be erased with one major medical event out of pocket. It is harder to budget when you have no real idea as to something that you cannot control. You can chose to drink box wine or cook in or go with out a new cell phone but the health care cost are not so adjustable. CAJA is a safety net. Please spend some time in both before making a choice. Best wishes

Ed

Ed, Your post above is right on and I shake my head when I read some Forum Posts of EXpats that move to CR and right-away buy property, one or two cars, etc., and do not have a Health Insurance Plan or monies to buy one to cover the medical needs of their family.

Edited by tibas9

If your concern is living in a country where the country's economy is growing here is a list to consider. Of course, these lists are just someone's opinion. If you are retired with outside income, you may care less about the economy of Costa Rica and only care about the weather than it may not concern you that CR is not on the list of for economic growth.

The Index of Attraction of Urban Investments (INAI) analyzes forty-eight cities in Latin America, and their performance and expectations for growth for the following year.

Panama’s City rises from thirteenth to eighth place, being the only Central American city in the top ten of the ranking.

Edited by jimvignola

This may be out of topic, but would like to know about discounts allowed if any to retires over 65 applying for their cedula . I read an article that when you receive your cedula and our over 65 that you could use your card on buses up to 25klim for free and that they have similar discounts for seniors as they have here in the USA.

Once you have your cedula, and if you are 65 or older, you can go to your local (Costa Rican) Social Security office and request a gold card which affords you discounts at many retail establishments. I've applied for mine here in Grecia and was told that it would be available in six short weeks thereby bringing a whole new reality to the term "snail mail".

We're not bus riders, but I think I know that you can ride up to 25km for free just by showing your cedula.

Thank you for this information, we are going to do our do diligence and we will be meeting a tour guide in Oct. Ours plans are to check out Grecia and Atenas and decide on which suits the best.

Hey, Jerry, just don't commit yourself to anything! Oct is the rainiest month in the Central Valley, and weather in Atenas and Grecia are very different from each other.

Good luck.

regards,

Gayle

Hi Salish sea, Pura Vida! When you say that they are different from each other, what exactly do you mean? My wife likes it less rainy and maybe a little bit warmer than San ramon. We do plan on staying at a B&B for at least one month before we make the final decision, any suggestions?

This may be out of topic, but would like to know about discounts allowed if any to retires over 65 applying for their cedula . I read an article that when you receive your cedula and our over 65 that you could use your card on buses up to 25klim for free and that they have similar discounts for seniors as they have here in the USA.

Yep, free bus rides and seating priority to one of the four seats reserved for us "OFs" You must present your CR Cedula to the Bus Driver and there is a discount if you take a bus over beyond 25 K which is around 25%.

Discounts at the Supermakets, movies, many resturants and the Biggie of special lines at banks, Ministry Offices, etc. I live in Wonderful Santa Ana, CR, so I do not know if some of these discounts are available in the Guanacaste area or out in the Ticoland boon-docks.

Edited by tibas9

Hi Jerry,

Sorry, didn't look at this thread again until just now. Atenas is much lower and much warmer than Grecia. Maybe Dana, who lives in Atenas, can talk more about it, and David about Grecia. I've never lived in either, so can't comment. All I know is that when we've gone to Atenas, it's been quite a relief for us as we head up the hill toward San Ramon and the temperature cools down. (We are from Seattle, though, so YMMV.)

Good luck!

regards,

Gayle

Jerry, we live up the mountain above Grecia (at about 5000'). We find that temperature range is best for us and too cool for others. Downtown Grecia (3300') is comfortable but can be a bit warm during the day. Atenas is also quite pleasant, although at 2300' it can be quite a bit warmer. Depends on the time of day, what you're doing, and whether you're in the sun or shade.

It rains quite a bit up the mountain. Grecia gets a fair amount too and Atenas gets a bit less. That's not to say it doesn't rain, and rain very hard in each place. But the frequency and durations are different.

Caveat: localized weather varies greatly. For example, last week an area near downtown Grecia (called La Arena) had an hours-long torrential downpour, and has had them regularly (viewed from our perch), while downtown Grecia and up here there was little to no rain those days. On our drive home we often pass heavy, localized rain in another particular short stretch of road. Not raining downtown nor up the mountain.

If you have a temperature range that you consider comfortable, that's a good starting spot. More important in picking the place is what you need, plan to do, and how you'll get there. Those differences can be substantial between towns like Atenas and Grecia.

Edited by CMinCR

I know there is a lot of concern about cost of living rising in CR as it is everywhere and folks are wondering about how much it cost to live different places .... well, here is a nice summary of lots of folks who live in Panama from old to young, city to off grid that might give people an insight in the cost to live in Panama depending on how and where they live ...

http://richarddetrich.com/2012/07/26/what-does-it-cost-to-live-in-panama/