lucybelle: if all the babies in costa rica being fed coca cola and liquid jello in their bottles already have diabetes, you already have high blood pressure! tranquila, muchacha! :D

Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because they don't agree with you or their experience doesn't match yours doesn't make anybody stupid or needing to "get over themselves."

PS: Lots of babies in the US get fed bottles of coca cola or kool aid or other drek.

Edited by eleanorcr

Remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because they don't agree with you or their experience doesn't match yours doesn't make anybody stupid or needing to "get over themselves."

I agree, but at the same time it frustrates me because it directly impacts me. I can't say where I'm from without people assuming I'm a stuck up American who doesn't know anything and assumes we rule the world. I have been directly confronted about this numerous times. I wish that they would just let it roll off their shoulders, because honestly, there are way more important things in the world for which to get panties bunched. The word I use to describe the country I'm from should fall fairly low on that list.

I've also run into the "stuck up/know nothing American" thing. I once asked a Costa Rican friend why so many people treat me as if I were stupid and his answer was: "Well so many are." This is the "I don't know how to do that" kind of thing like using a machete or mixing concrete or laying block or fixing a car or cooking a meal from scratch for 30 people. I know that some Costa Ricans feel that people in the US don't know a lot about other countries (they don't) and some DO have an air of entitlement. ("What do you mean I have to speak Spanish!") If you re-read a recent post about how the US protects Costa Rica and therefore "allows" the country to not have a military -- you will see what I mean.

Anyway - I thought you were referring to people on this forum! Lol........

Gee, you learn something every day....

All this time I had thought continents were determined by the movement of tectonic plates. See how wrong I was?

Jim

I never could figure out why Europe and Asia were considered to be two continents. And now I'm having trouble comprehending why they are two continents and North and South America are one! In my mind it should be just the opposite.

I've also run into the "stuck up/know nothing American" thing. I once asked a Costa Rican friend why so many people treat me as if I were stupid and his answer was: "Well so many are." This is the "I don't know how to do that" kind of thing like using a machete or mixing concrete or laying block or fixing a car or cooking a meal from scratch for 30 people. I know that some Costa Ricans feel that people in the US don't know a lot about other countries (they don't) and some DO have an air of entitlement. ("What do you mean I have to speak Spanish!") If you re-read a recent post about how the US protects Costa Rica and therefore "allows" the country to not have a military -- you will see what I mean.

Anyway - I thought you were referring to people on this forum! Lol........

I think for the most part, I earn a bit of respect from the ticos when I pull out my pachuco! My esposo has taught me well ;)

I do not say I'm American, I use estadounidense instead. I have done that ever since I moved here. Also, I have never encountered a negative response when I say/answer that I am from the United States. It usually starts a good conversation, either because the person is curious about the state where I came from or because they lived inor visited the U.S.

I know people have a lot of different views on the "American" moniker. A good friend of mine once told me something that I've remembered ever since: people who want to use a particular word that is offensive to another group of folks do not get to decide what is or is not offensive to that particular group, nor do they get to judge whether that group is "justified" in being offended. That made sense to me. Usually the offense comes from something in the history, which is probably not part of my history, or maybe it's a history that I was on the other side of, so that person has a different life experience and world view from me. For me, if it offends another person, the tiny inconvenience of adjusting my language to respect that doesn't measure against another person being offended by my words, especially if it's due to a historical/cultural thing that isn't part of my experience. Works for me, not trying to change anyone else's language, just saying it makes sense to me, and doesn't cost me a thing.

Lucybelle, our esposos may have a different view on the subject, but that doesn't mean Jorge (or anyone else from a country south of our border) has a stupid opinion, or that he should get over himself, just because it's more convenient for us if they'd "let us have that word". He actually has put a lot of thought into his opinion. If it doesn't bother your esposo, cool, I'm not going to get annoyed and say that's stupid, or that he's wrong for not having the same opinion as my esposo or a lot of other Latin Americans I know.

Well, there is a scientific basis to the enumeration of the continents that is based upon an analysis of the plate tectonics and not politics. Be that as it may, it might be helpful to remember that Central America was always a part of the North American continent and not the South.

In my opinion, the word 'American' is fine for naming citizens of the U.S. in the English language. Spanish has another word for this purpose, estadounidense, as has already been pointed out.

It's always a difficult thing to know what to call people from the USA. While it seems rather narrow to call them "Americans" and yes, everyone who lives in the Americas can be called "Americans" - it's really the unhandy nature of the name: United States of America. What then do we call them? US-ers? USA-ers? I've never quite found a satisfactory answer to this.

I shouldn't post this but I find a great majority of them to be blank-blanks. Those that have joined you in CR are, hopefully, not... or much less so.

Not a blanket condemnation, and probably says more about me than them, but what a bunch of self-important, self-entitled, ill-informed homo sapiens.

Edited by FredS

I agree Fred. Those from the US have a reputation for being "Ugly Americans". I think that many of them are. Those "Americans" are usually completely ethnocentric and have no business leaving home. Unfortunately some of them manage to escape from time to time so the stereotype persists. I try to break the stereotype whenever I can.

Ah, Mark (fellow northwesterner) and Fred, there are "ugly" (countrymen) everywhere, people who have the attitude of being in a foreign country, "Why don't those stupid people speak MY language?" And then, of course, the same people get huffy about all those foreigners who vacation or move to their country, and then it's: " Why can't they speak (language)?" It's not exclusive to Americans. I think it all comes down to a sense of curiosity/interest about other people different from you.

I've encountered it in Montreal (many people there had quite the attitude about our not speaking French, despite our obviously being on vacation there), in Russia among a few people, in several European countries (and, no, not in France, where everyone we talked to was nice to us), and even here in CR, ironically, when we came here on our "due diligence" trip.

I think all of us on these forums can foster a sense of good will and curiosity about people who are different from us. Most Ticos, as has been pointed out many times, are welcoming and gracious about people's bumbling attempts to speak Spanish. Regardless of where you are, consider that and when people speak English less than perfectly, be gracious every chance you get. We're all, all of us, strangers in a strange land.

And am I way, way off topic, or what?

regards/saludos cordiales,

Gayle

A guy I know was talking about an experience he had dealing with a business person or attorney, doc or whatever. He was telling someone about it and said that "the guy didn't even understand enough English to know what I was talking about!" WHAT????

Maybe we should develop another continent just for those jerks. And float it off somewhere far far away.