How many continents are there?

Hi everyone,

Okay, this may be one of the odder questions on the forums, but I'd like to ask Canadians, in particular, for their answer. (crf, Terry, micolo, Carol, jesse and ventura -- but not Jesse Ventura! -- I'm looking to you.....) I'd also like to hear from others who aren't originally from the US. Those from the EEUU/USA, please do NOT respond. In a few days, I'll explain the reason for my question. Those of us from the US may find this somewhat interesting (at least I hope so.)

When you respond:

--How many continents are there?

--What are their names?

--What country are you from?

Many thanks to all who respond!

regards,

Gayle

ps to Tiffany: if you ever asked Hungarians this question when you were in Hungary, what did they say?

Edited by salish sea

I was taught in school that there are seven continents in the world. They consist of Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia. I am not saying this is right or wrong, merely what I was taught.

There are some people who say there are six continents, they are Africa, America, Antarctica, Asia, Australia and Europe.

There are also two versions of five continents, the first being Africa, America, Antarctica, Eurasia, and Australia/Oceania and the second being Africa, America, Asia, Europe, and Australia/Oceania.

Of the above I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as all the land mass of this planet we call earth are included.

What country am I from ………. Canada !!!

Thank you all for your responses!

Here's why I asked: My spouse and I go separately to an excellent teacher to learn Spanish. He gets into all kinds of interesting conversations with me and neither of us knows exactly where things are going to wind up. (He's also very political and we often discuss both CR and US politics.) He is a Tico and at my last lesson we talked about the number of continents and the political world-view that results. He said that there are five:

Africa

America

Asia

Australia/Oceania

Europe

He said that when Americans talk about being "American," as if they're the only Americans, it's an issue for him and many others in Latin America because they all see America as being one continent, not divided into North and South. I was very surprised because it's one of those things I never thought about, assuming in my American-centric way that everyone everywhere was taught the same thing. (And for the record, like Canadians, I, too, was taught there are seven continents, though even as a kid thought the artificial division between Europe and Asia at the Urals seemed a little silly.)

I thought it was pretty interesting, and when I go back for my next lesson, can tell him that Canadians see the world in the same way as Americans do!

regards,

Gayle

Edited by salish sea

It's always a difficult thing to know what to call people from the USA. While it seems rather narrow to call them "Americans" and yes, everyone who lives in the Americas can be called "Americans" - it's really the unhandy nature of the name: United States of America. What then do we call them? US-ers? USA-ers? I've never quite found a satisfactory answer to this.

I just asked the esposo, without explaining why. He answered: "Ámerica, Europa, Asia, África, Oceanía, Antártica." So six for him as well.

I learned seven as a child, North and South America being separate. When I told this to the esposo, he shook his head and said, "No me sorprende," and launched into the usual discussion on this subject about how ALL people who live in "Ámerica" are Americans, meaning all people on the North and South American continent(s). For him the term "American" to refer to an estadounidense is really offensive.

As Eleanor says, it's kind of awkward and clunky trying to respect this in the English language, as we have no "United Statesian" designator, but I've met enough people who are offended by it, that I've wiped it out of my vocabulary. I usually just say "someone from the states", or, if I'm talking to a Spanish speaker, I'll say "estadounidense" even when speaking English.

Anyway, interesting poll, Gayle!

I was taught that there were 7 continents also. Both a North and South America.

I don't think that we "Americans" are the only ones to blame for calling ourselves that. People in most other parts of the world refer to people from the US as Americans. I think that they started the whole thing by calling the colonists "Americans" in "America" and the names have stuck.

. . . . it's kind of awkward and clunky ... in the English language, as we have no "United Statesian" designator, but I've met enough people who are offended by it, that I've wiped it out of my vocabulary. I usually just say "someone from the states", or, if I'm talking to a Spanish speaker, I'll say "estadounidense" even when speaking English.

Tiffany,

In CR I never refer to myself as an American to ticos and tend to use 'North American / norteamericano' or 'estadounidense', instead.

And if neither of those options appeal to you, then you can always fall back on 'gringo'.

¡Pura Vida!

Paul M.

==

Who's still amazed that the wifi here at rehab is working this late! Guess it's feast instead of famine for a rare change.

==

My esposo says:

- Europe, America, Asia, Oceania, Africa, Australia, Antarctica

- From Costa Rica

Well now that we've been given the answer I'll give my Ameeerican view.

I learned 6 or 7- Europe, Asia (for the 6 we called it "Eurasia") S. America, N. America, Africa, Australia, Antarctica

Never knew that other people learned it differently.

I think the whole "American" thing is stupid. There's not a goddam tico in the entire country who would ever say "I'm American" when asked. I feel like it's just another reason to hate Americans. Let us have that word. No one else uses it.

At the same time, I do always say I'm from "the states" when people ask me. But, when I did that in Spain people looked at me like I was crazy and was like "wait, you mean American, right?" I even remember I said "the states" to some guys from Mexico and they got pissed and said "states of what? Mexico is the United States of Mexico" Man, leave me alone. You know what I'm talking about. Get over yourself. Good god.

Edited by lucybelle