Sign in to follow this  
salish sea

"easy reader" chapter books for adult learners

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for suggestions for books for adult learners of English. Last Saturday, there was a massive book sale in San Ramon, and one of the items often requested -- and of which we had far too few -- was "easy reader" books for adults.

I'll be in Seattle in early July and will be picking up some used books. Titles I came up with:

"Charlotte's Web"

"Stuart Little"

"Island of the Blue Dolphins"

"My Side of the Mountain"

"Where the Mountain Meets the Sea"

the various Harry Potter books

Anyone have any other suggestions for similar books: interesting for adult learners, but not too difficult?

Thank you!

regards,

Gayle

Hi Gayle,

You couldn't go wrong with "Winnie The Pooh" for the adult english student. It's available in Spanish and English editions as well as in bi-lingual editions and is very good too, for an adult who's learning Spanish.

You might also look for a title "The Valley of The Latin Bear", by Alexander Lenard, pub. 1965, and which can be easily found on Amazon.com and ABEbooks.com. It's the story of how the author used WTP to teach english in backcountry Brazil. While not necessarily an ideal read for the beginning adult who's learning english, I found it to be a fascinating history myself.

HTH

Paul M.

==

When I was asked to bring books back from Canada I was told explicity not to bring Harry Potter. Something about "magic and spells" etc doesn't bode well with the catholic religion.

When I was asked to bring books back from Canada I was told explicity not to bring Harry Potter. Something about "magic and spells" etc doesn't bode well with the catholic religion.

They maybe told you that because witchcraft is considered to be illegal in Costa Rica, Kelly.

Now of course the 'witchcraft' and spells in the Potter books are most of 'em rendered as bastardized Latin puns, so go figure. And after all, they did show the Potter movies in CR, so I wouldn't worry too much about bringing in any of the Potter books. They would be nothing more than used personal items 'for your own reading pleasure' while in CR, unless you were bringing in multiple copies of any of those titles..

And for a very famous spell how about "Bibbity, Bobbity, Boo!"? No one ever complained about that, that I know of.

Anyway, where's Dobby when you really need him?

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

I also ran into the "Harry Potter" thing when I was teaching a small English class locally. One lady asked me about it, almost afraid to say the name! Next class, I brought in a DVD of the movie and played part of it. I explained that the stories were about the fight between good and evil and the magic involved was just a part of the story. They wanted to watch the rest of the movie after that.......

Of course, for a laugh you could include some Dr. Seuss.

You can also go to the Amazon website and generate a list there and make some choices. Don't forget: you can download Kindle software to your computer and then download Kindle books to your computer to read. Not sure if this will work for your purposes - but it's a thought.

I came here in 2002, and I believe that that law against withcraft has been changed since then maybe someone else can clarify??

There were Harry Potter books donated (again, only a few and mostly hard cover, so C2.000 each) and they went pretty quickly. I'm looking for used books to buy that we can turn around and sell (I'll donate the books) at next year's book sale. I was afraid that "Winnie the Pooh" would be too juvenile (haven't read it in many, many years), but I'll add that to the list.

Berenstain Bears? I'm not so sure about that. Too short, I think and subject matter too juvenile -- wonderful for kids, I agree, but I'm looking for books that will hold adults' interest. Dr Seuss, great suggestion. Other opinions?

Anyone else have any favorites?

Muchas gracias.

regards,

Gayle

Edited by salish sea

As a kid, I loved, kept and handed down, many books written by Enid Blyton. In regards to Harry Potter books, personally I think these are too difficult for a beginner reader.

Ann of Green Gables? Little house on the Prairie?

Hello Gayle,

I'm happy to hear about your activities with the adult learners of English. Although not recommended as great literature, I have found that the Harlequin Romance and adventure books are useful for several reasons:

1: the vocabulary is easy, contemporary and repetitive

2: the settings are familiar and comfortable

3: plots can be guessed, which speeds up reading

4: there are rarely situations, activities, ie. sex and ghosts that need to be explained or avoided.

5: they are really cheap at used book sales

Since you mentioned Canada, Barbara Greenwood's books are all great for historical accuracy and pleasant problem solving, as are Farley Mowat's stories.

Classic children's stories ie. Hans Christian Andersen, Brothers Grimm are as good for adults as for children, meant to be read out loud, and the stories are familiar which makes it easier to read them in a foreign language.

Keep up the good work!!

Gayle, I've got 2 good reading lists that I use for my ESL students, one of which I especially like because it has books representing various cultures and world views. They're on my other computer, but I'll post them for you tomorrow. I actually used the Spanish versions of quite a few of these books while working on my Spanish. (Wow, that sentence makes it sound like I'm finished working on it ... bwajajajaja)

Oh, Tiffany, that would be great! (and to eleanor and Anneliese, Louie L'Amour and Harlequin books are readily available at my local thrift store on Vashon, so 25 cents each, and, Jessica, maybe Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys, too. The price is right.....) The ARCR community comes through yet again!

with kind regards,

Gayle