I really hope he does a public appearance of some sort I can go to! At the very least, I'll head over to the school where the helicopter will land when I hear it. ;) If my school gives us off. The Nacion says all these Cantons are closed yet my director somehow thinks we'll still be able to make it to school. We'll see...

At the present time, he has no plans to make a public appearance (according to what I have read). Security issues, doncha know. But... of course that could change. Good luck getting close enough to see him Lucybelle!

From what I read, the cantons are not really "closed" - they just gave their employees the day off. Are we saying the same thing? (It did say the part of Migracion will be open to serve people who already had appointments.)

Edited by eleanorcr

Yeah exactly. Not closed, but the day off because it'll be too freaking hard to get anywhere! I live about 700m from the USA embassy and about 300m from where the helicopter is going to land, you think I'm going to be able to get to work on Friday? Maybe if I leave at 4am :P

I'm hoping to get the day off! :D

Well, yeah-- I'm voting: DIA LIBRE!

He's arriving at 2 pm from what I read and going straight to conference and meetings mostly downtown, etc, so maybe not dia libre. Sigh. Not sure about anything after that......

This Saturday (coinciding with the Prez's visit) is the 103d anniversary
of the destruction of Cartago, which eventually resulted in the
transfer of the central government to San Jose. The catastrophic event
was documented nicely, in English and Spanish, by Leon Fernandez Guardia
and Amando Cespedes Marin the same year (1910): "The Cartago
Earthquake". I have this 60 page 4.6MB book as a PDF. If anyone is
interested in this part of Tico history, send me a private email to
dr.pharg[at]gmail.com and I will forward.

The last time a Prez (JFK) came to C.R. in 1963, Irazu blew its top. Coincidentally, both Democrats. I'm just sayin'.icon_wink.gif

My director (school in Santa Ana) is still having classes tomorrow! I've told her I'm not coming. Is she nuts? There were black hawk helicopters going overhead yesterday and Tuesday. If I try to leave my house they're going to put a little spot light on me and tell me to get on the ground! ;) Most of the kids aren't coming either. It just doesn't make sense. I feel bad for the teachers coming all the way from Curridibat and Tres Rios! They'll be home by... Sunday!

Yes, they will be closing the pista. Last week I saw policia every 100 m with little clipboards. Surely scheming on how to close the pista.

I'm mostly sad he's not making any public appearances :(

And it looks like from that article he *won't* be landing in Humboldt after all! Totally thought that's where his helicopter was going to land.

From the news that I have read, he will be landing at SJO and then a motorcade to the conference in downtown San Jose. So the autopista will be closed during the time he is "en route" (and probably a bit before and after that). Yeah, too bad he won't be making any public appearances. Maybe the security issues were just too much -- but -- it would have been nice to invite US citizens to the Embassy for a little 30- minute "meet and greet." Sigh.

I received a request to send a PDF of the Cartago earthquake from James Graham at jimesau1@yahoo.com

My response was kicked back to me as undeliverable. If 'Jimmy' sees this, try again or use another email address.

PEH

It should be jimesau without the 1

Thanks

From the news that I have read, he will be landing at SJO and then a motorcade to the conference in downtown San Jose. So the autopista will be closed during the time he is "en route" (and probably a bit before and after that). Yeah, too bad he won't be making any public appearances. Maybe the security issues were just too much -- but -- it would have been nice to invite US citizens to the Embassy for a little 30- minute "meet and greet." Sigh.

Yeah! I would have been there in a heartbeat.