SunnySoleil

What to believe about buying real estate in Costa Rica?

Thanks so much, yes the time factor is relevant. I am hardly young (43) and saying we have "deep pockets" made my husband and me both chuckle, but I appreciate your input. It was fun to ask our local friends in our pueblo about their direct experiences. Heard mostly positive, some warnings. But this topic has definitely warned us to be aware and maybe even a bit vigilant, which I think is a good thing.

I like this part: "My advice would be to have an eye that what you buy is rent-able."

My advice about what to believe is this: If what you hear or read comes in the form of a warning, believe it! Better safe than sorry.

Regarding rent increases: Our lease was for 3 years, and paid in dollars. We have had no raise in our rent, but it is due this year, so we will see how it goes. Our landlady really just wants a regular, stable longterm tenant.

Dana

There are advantages to buying.

1.The landlords may want to use their property at a time when it is inconvenient for you to move.

2.You get to know your neighbours and your community. ie. grocery stores, hardware stores, taxistas, routes to take to favourite places.

3. Stability for family. ie. schools, sports, local activities

4. You get to plant a garden and watch it grow. The joy of seeing a Heliconia bloom where you planted it or the satisfaction of picking ripe fruit from a tree that you planted as a sapling cannot be measured.

AnneLise

Annelise planting another garden, this is the main reason we are currently considering purchasing another property here.

Although I have many plants that we have moved with us, I need more... :rolleyes: ...although this isn't always the case with others.

1. Very true. You may need to vacate a rental property. But there are really no guarantees in life.

2. Whether you buy or rent doesn't have anything to do with getting to know your neighbors or local stores, etc.

3. Renting does not equal instability. This is just a kind of propaganda. Renting doesn't mean that you move every 6 months or every year. Many people have rented the same property for a long time. I've rented the house I live in for more than four years.

4. Last week, I picked the first lemons from a tree I planted 3 years ago. Renting doesn't necessarily mean you can't have a garden. Again, you are not going to move every 3 months or 6 months or every year just because you are renting a place. I have planted many things where I live now - a rental house - and quite a few of them are in containers. If you are wanting to plant a garden for food, most things are ready to harvest in 90 days or so. Once again - you're probably not going to be moving every 3 months.

Only advice I can give is do not assume anything. Do not assume the seller, realtor or lawyer is always telling you the truth.

Case in point. We bought in a gated community. It was advertised as having ready to use power to the property line, and crystal clear drinking water. There was no power and the water had high sulphur and minerals. We assumed the advertising was correct, and never investigated for ourselves.

Double check everything before signing.

If you are in the planning stages, stonworks, what makes you think your attorney is "competent?" What experience have you had with him/her? Many people have felt the same way only to find out at some later date that the attorney they were using did not do what he/she was supposed to do. I would prefer to take advice from someone who has gone through the WHOLE process and has their property registered at the public registry in a correct way and has had their house already built.

stonwrks, this was also my impression of your post.

I never recommend a person or business that I have not first hand dealings with and the business is completed to our satisfaction.

A few times here, if the job was never properly finished and if you have paid, you are probably out of luck. Residency Lawyer included. That being said, we have had good work done for us by many honest workers and professionals.

I, for one, love owning our house. I know it would not sell in a day, but I have no plans on moving. We went slow and careful, had no issues and are VERY happy.

No regrets here. Well, not many!

Over three years now. It has gone fast, have learned lots, and still pinch myself after a morning surf.

We did go slow and careful, and it worked...for us.

Life is good!