Over the past few months I've been slowly putting together my esposo's application for his residency to the USA. I think we're ALMOST READY TO SUBMIT!

I'm super super nervous. I know there's no good reason for them to deny us since we've been living together for so long, have tons of pictures, our families have met, etc. But I'm worried they'll find a way.

What actually worries me the most is that we'll make a mistake on our application. And while everything else is digital, if you have a mistake they send you actual mail to tell you the mistake. I'm freaking out about that the most since we never get ANY mail that is sent to us. 90% of it is lost. So if we have a mistake, and the letter gets lost... ugh I don't even want to think what we would have to go through.

So *fingers crossed* that I don't make any careless mistakes and that they don't carelessly lose anything.

We'll probably send the big package next week or the week after. Send us good thoughts!!!

:D:D

What actually worries me the most is that we'll make a mistake on our application. And while everything else is digital, if you have a mistake they send you actual mail to tell you the mistake. I'm freaking out about that the most since we never get ANY mail that is sent to us. 90% of it is lost. So if we have a mistake, and the letter gets lost... ugh I don't even want to think what we would have to go through...

Lucy,

Have you considered just renting an apartado for where to receive your mail?

That way you may have a much better chance receiving a notification if there should happen to be a glitch in your application.

That cost of renting a PO Box sounds to me like I would be good insurance!

Just a thought . . .

Paul M.

==

Lucy,

Have you considered just renting an apartado for where to receive your mail?

That way you may have a much better chance receiving a notification if there should happen to be a glitch in your application.

That cost of renting a PO Box sounds to me like I would be good insurance!

Just a thought . . .

Paul M.

==

My apartado is exactly where we get no mail. I've rented one for a year and a half. Nothing ever arrives. Even stuff sent with tracking numbers. Both packages sent to me had tracking numbers and when I went to the correos office they told me those numbers were only good in the USA and I needed a different one for Costa Rica. <_<

Packages I can understand could have been stolen, but I don't even get letters and postcards. I've verified the address multiple times.

Nothing makes it. Ever.

Actually, about a week ago I got a postcard marked with a time stamp date of July 2012.

My apartado is exactly where we get no mail. I've rented one for a year and a half. Nothing ever arrives. Even stuff sent with tracking numbers. ...

Hmmm... I wonder, Lucy, whether it's worth opening another PO Box in a different Post Office (assuming that there is one near enough to you to try that) to see if it turns out that the particular P.O. where you currently have your box proves to be the problem. I have heard of a similar situation in the past.

Fingers X-ed...

Paul M.

==

Hi Lucy,

And I'd add: St Brendan's Isle in FL. For additional cost, in addition to being able to view the envelope online, they'll scan the contents, so if you get a letter from USCIS (the former INS), you can email them to scan the contents. IMO, it's not expensive, and you can choose "shred," "hold," or "send" for anything you have, but they won't send anything until you give them an address. We've used them a lot as we've been sailing and been in CR.

https://www.sbimailservice.com

Good luck to you and esposo!

regards,

Gayle

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! The thing is we have to put down our actual address. Since I'm a USC living abroad, our case will most likely be expedited. So we want to use our abroad address, but of course it runs the risk of actually losing the mail. I just have to make 100 million % sure that everything is correct.

We'll hopefully be turning in the packet this week!!!!! :D

Hi Lucybelle,

I can’t remember ever using a CR mailing address for
any of our OFFICIAL US government applications or correspondence. We’ve always
used CR (100 meters this way and that way) as our PHYSICAL address but then use
a US mail service address in the US as our MAILING address.

I second the recommendation (about using St. Brendan’s
Is.) made by Salish Sea (Gayle) in the post above. I’ve tried numerous mail
service options. St. Brendan’s Isle is the latest and has worked out especially
well for us. And as she said you can scan anything you want and get the info
immediately and never have to worry about losing anything. Currently I combine
the services of St. Brendan’s Isle and Aerocasillas which costs a little more to do that way but
ensures 100% reliability. All of my official correspondence and everyday letter
mail goes first to St. Brendan’s Isle. I then enter my account on line at St.
Brendan’s to check my mail and categorize it, shred, etc. If something is
critical, important, or time sensitive I just have it scanned (no worries).

But what I usually do for everyday mail is copy the
image of the envelopes of all of my letters on line and then have the letter
mail sent to me about once a month as a batch. I have it sent through my Aerocasillas address
in Maimi for letter mail which is then delivered to me here in CR. If anything
gets lost I have photos and the date time it was sent. But nothing has been
lost yet thank God going this route. I could even have it sent with a tracking
number but that would be an unnecessary expense since the real important stuff is
scanned.

This system has worked when we applied from CR for my
wife’s immigrant visa to the US (twice) as well as tourist visas to the US. I
use this system for everything US related, taxes, applying for US bank accounts,
voting, driver’s license, etc.

The application(s) for US VISA may have changed over
time since we did ours, but check to see if there isn’t two options for an address,
one for MAILING and one for PHYSICAL.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! The thing is we have to put down our actual address. Since I'm a USC living abroad, our case will most likely be expedited. So we want to use our abroad address, but of course it runs the risk of actually losing the mail. I just have to make 100 million % sure that everything is correct.

We'll hopefully be turning in the packet this week!!!!! :D