I think it bears noting that property tax rates in CR were .25%, in Texas they are around 2.6%. I have never intended to own in CR as the rentals are so inexpensive and I hate home maintenance. However, those rates will also affect rental costs as they are passed down to the renter. Although, if you're renting a $300k house doubling the property tax rate would add only about $62 a month to the rental rate, it certainly is something to consider! Thanks for the link, Beachlife4us.

Hey, Beach, so I'm curious: you initially posed the question about CR/Panama/Ecuador, then you keep posting disadvantages about CR, advantages of Panama.

In terms of property taxes, we don't live in a luxury home. I went with my neighbor (fluent in Spanish, but it turns out that I could have handled it even if she hadn't been with me) and we both had our properties revalued because it was time for the assessor to do it. Our house was assessed for more because it turns out that we have frontage on two roads. The total cost for 2013 is about $278. (In contrast, our last property tax bill in King County, WA State, for a very modest home was around $3400.

Property taxes have gone up, Marchamo has gone up, ICE has gone up, but I cannot begrudge CR this. CAJA I only wish my spouse and I could pay into so we, too, could comment about our increases..... Look at various jurisdictions in the US, and I think you'll find that taxes have gone up there as well.

Most of us like our government services. I don't mind helping to pay for infrastructure, etc. Roads need repair, bridges need repair, CR is trying to be "green," and generating electricity is more expensive. So it goes.

I regret to say that CR may not be the right place for you. As others have said, it's not as cheap as it used to be, Panama has incentives for people who move there. I'm with Jessica on this: the positives (far) outweigh the negatives, IMO.

regards,

Gayle

Edited by salish sea

I also note that the OP was asking

Please post any advantages/disadvantages of living in each location above, approx. cost estimates to live each month and to become a 2013 Resident there.

To date the OP has provided almost all the input. Sounds like he/she is making their own list of pros and cons?

I guess it's just that no one seems interested in playing beachlife's "game."

I have absolutely no interest in doing any kind of study of the various places to live. For anyone who is contemplating moving to another country, it might be a useful exercise.

But I, for one, refuse to get sucked into some kind of quasi-intellectual, hipster kind of discussion about the "merits" of various countries.

Everyone needs to just visit the country you are thinking about moving to. Go there. Look around. Do some research. Then make up your mind. Is it for you? Fine. Is it not for you? Fine.

<tongue in cheek> Gee thanks Eleanorcr ....... I was contemplating that my post was not all that useful and rather just an observation that may make the OP wonder why I wrote it. I feel better now :rolleyes:

In terms of property taxes, we don't live in a luxury home. I went with my neighbor (fluent in Spanish, but it turns out that I could have handled it even if she hadn't been with me) and we both had our properties revalued because it was time for the assessor to do it. Our house was assessed for more because it turns out that we have frontage on two roads. The total cost for 2013 is about $278. (In contrast, our last property tax bill in King County, WA State, for a very modest home was around $3400.

Property taxes have gone up, Marchamo has gone up, ICE has gone up, but I cannot begrudge CR this. CAJA I only wish my spouse and I could pay into so we, too, could comment about our increases..... Look at various jurisdictions in the US, and I think you'll find that taxes have gone up there as well.

regards,

Gayle

So true! You put it all back in perspective. We live in a modest house in west Texas and our property tax is around $2,500.

This topic has been relocated to the Open Forum where it is more appropriate and which will better allow for non-CR discussion.

Just a polite suggestion at this point to say that, if there are any Forums members who are not interested in this topic, as appears now to be the case for several of you, then you need not respond to it and let those who are contribute to it.

¡Puros Duendes!

Paul M.

==

The link below is stating Pensionado's in Ecuador need $8000 per year min. to qualify. Costa Rica is $12,000 yr. min.. One advantage for Ecuador. Appears they are really trying to attract new retiree residents, the $1.00 per gallon or less gas fuel is a big advantage as well.

http://www.goecuador...o-ecuador5.html

By the way, not trying to discredit or snipe Costa Rica or the current residents there, the advantages, disadvantages are what they are at this point in time and laws and benefits are subject to change, as we are seeing lately. Love Costa Rica and the people there, know there is a great future for Costa Rica, would not own property there if that was not the case.

Isn't just like a business that offers enticements to gain market share? I am guessing CR has enough customers wanting in and so they don't worried about attracting any more. The new kids like Ecuador are trying to steal new investment from CR. Eventually, CR will reach a point where they get back in the game. Beach ... I am putting less stock in the numbers (how much you can bring, how many cars you can import, the pension number) and concentrating on what the government can not change which is the climate and people. Governments and parties come and go but the weather and scenery will remain beautiful (until global warming really hits). So, my advice is find where you really really want to be and than work around or adapt to the inept governments, the ever changing rules, and various retirement packages.

I think nothing compares to actually living for awhile in CR and discovering within yourself that it is where you want to be. I have had more than my fair share of bad experiences in the country in the past year - lived in some seedy areas and struggled being alone and making my way around a country so completely different than what I knew, encountering difficulties ranging from bites, sprains, electric outages and hard walks with no car. My first trip to CR was Sept of 2011, living in a tiny apartment in Quepos for a month. I couldn't wait to get on the plane back to the US to escape the heat, humidity, noise, fear of being a single female living alone in a somewhat dicey area. The minute I got on the plane I thought: "Yeah. I can do this. Not in that specific area, but I can do this, and I want to find a way/place to be happy living in this gorgeous country" - and I instantly missed the mountains and people of CR. My advice is: if you aren't crying when the plane is taking off to leave CR, it's not for you!

There are many threads to what location is the 'best' from an expense perspctive as well as culture, activities, etc. I agree with many of these post, it is up to the individual and what they enjoy. From an expense perspective if you are looking to own a home, not rent, the math becomes really easy. Taxes and insurance are much less in CR than the US and I guessing Canada. I have been to Merida (have a great friend who has a 2nd place there now) Panama and Ecuador and CR tops the list for me!

And, with family living in the SE US, the trips are easy, frequent and in expesnive to get to CR. To us and many on this forum, CR, no matter where you are is a slice of paradise! I just paid my taxes for CR and got my 2013 tax bill for the US......it is 89% less in CR. The homes don't compare in size, but they sure do in location! So considering even inflation or $1 gas (and wow, that is nice!) CR wins for us after 5 years of research before we landed in the Southern Zone.....