The way topics change/get hijacked within a thread, you might miss some important information just by only checking specific subjects. I think it would just get more complicated. In this day and age what is wrong with asking about tampons or birth control? Many men know about such things!

In this day and age what is wrong with asking about tampons or birth control? Many men know about such things!

"Many?" Ha ha, every man outta know about such things. I am somewhat past the age of personally worrying about either, but would love to have a section for shopping and also travel/living/dating for single women in CR.

I've mentioned before a need for a forum on shopping/where to find things. Got no response. I try to mention things I find that people might be looking for. One problem is that about the time I locate something I've been seeking, the store discontinues it!

I've mentioned before a need for a forum on shopping/where to find things. Got no response. I try to mention things I find that people might be looking for. One problem is that about the time I locate something I've been seeking, the store discontinues it!

It seems to me the people in charge of the forum are somewhat set in their ways and have no desire to change anything.

The way topics change/get hijacked within a thread, you might miss some important information just by only checking specific subjects. I think it would just get more complicated.

I agree with Shea and Paul, we don't need more forum categories to check. Using tags is the best way to categorize and search. Next the guys will be asking for a forum on Men's issues, or auto racing, or where to go to play football/fúbol.

I truly don't believe the forums moderators are set in their ways, they have been here longer that most members and have seen what works for the forums. IMHO, expanding the forum topics, will just make it harder to find something. I think it works great as it is.

It seems to me the people in charge of the forum are somewhat set in their ways and have no desire to change anything.

Lucy & Shea,

As I wrote on here recently you can put a label on new Women's postings/threads and they will be searchable as such. That would be the easiest way to go about doing that.

Another option might be to start up your own discussion group and then you could put it together any way you liked.

I am only the Forums moderator, but if the Forums owners wanted to change the format of the Forums they would do so.

So, rather than kvetching about it, I would recommend that you consider using the labels as a tool for ID-ing threads/topics having Women's interests at their base. The labels function is in place already and easy to use and that will accommodate your desire to have a Women's section on the Forums.

And that goes for the remainder of the Forums membership who wish to flag topics of their interest(s). It's quick and easy to do!

Regards,

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

I'm not sure why you address your comments to me, since I'm not the one complaining about the forums categories. I'm fine with the way it is. I click on each category and see which posts are bolded to see what I haven't read. If it's something I'm not interested in, i.e. shipping pets, etc., I don't always read it. I mentioned my suggestion for a forum on where to find things, but I also mentioned my solution for that, which is just to post when I find something people want and to ask about things I'm looking for. This is not a need to reformat the forums.

Actually, I do read some posts that don't particularly relate to me, just because I hear people asking about things and I can tell them to check out these forums because there is a thread going on that subject. Not everyone reads, or even knows about, these forums, so that helps bring new people in.

Paul (and Tim!), here's one vote for a new section on "where to buy it." We don't go into San Jose very often, but if there were something I really wanted, I'd go to a store there. (And for that reason, I don't like the idea of separate categories based on geography. I don't choose not to read something because it's from Lucy or Tiffany about SJ or -- recent example -- a discussion between crf and eleanor about the road between Upala and (oops, I forget). It's all of interest!

regards,

Gayle

s/v Dragon's Wing

heading toward Daytona Beach

As to a new section on WHERE TO BUY IT . . . As with setting up a WOMEN'S section, we already have a tool to flag any topic as such. I would encourage members to use that tool. Then those threads will be EASILY searchable.

Just because some members say that they either never look at the tags or use them doesn't mean that they cannot be used to good end.

I suggest that you try using the TAGS function for a bit and see how they work. Not only will they make the topics searchable, but they will attract other posts to the thread. Then if a new topic is desired, the tag can be repeated with the new topic.

Regards,

Paul M.

Forums Moderator

==

Paul,

Can "Topic Tags" be added at anytime and can they only be added by anyone, or just the original poster?

It would be an interesting exercise to go back on some of these posts and add tags. A perfect example is the thread on "Life in CR: what is the one thing you cherish the most versus the coun". This has turned into a discussion on TSA screening and the CBP Global Entry's Trusted Travelers Network. I'm sure the topic has now been hijacked and it is no longer what the OP had in mind when she started the thread.

Paul,

Can "Topic Tags" be added at anytime and can they only be added by anyone, or just the original poster?

Topic tags can be added by the original poster either at the inception of the topic or any time later on by the OP using the 'edit' function on the fist post in the topic and then choosing 'use full editor'.

Likewise, moderators may add a tag.

HTH

Paul M.

==

I've noticed on lots of sites that the tags usually get waaay out of control ... what I mean is everyone thinks of his/her own way to word the tag, so you end up with tons of tags, instead of a smaller standardized list of tags. I've seen sites at both extremes, and the standardized small lists are definitely much easier to navigate. The sites with tons of tags ... it's even more confusing trying to find the appropriate tag and hope you hit one that's used for the subject you're looking for. They end up being kind of useless. A small list where everyone uses the same tags for the same (fairly broad) subjects works much better.

A sensible suggestion, Tiffany, the above.

But since we don't regularly seem to use tags on the Forums that shouldn't be a problem, especially if we use, say, only half a dozen standardized tags.

Members here are smart enough to figure out to do that, I think.

Regards,

Paul M.

==