I've thought about this for a while now and I think it would be nice to have a women's section in the forum. I suppose everything could still go under "living in Costa Rica" but it might be nice to have a sub-section or something. Topics like- contraception, giving birth, reproductive choices and rights in the country, OBGYN doctors, supplies, clothes, dealing with machismo, traveling as a solo woman, different issues, etc.

Would there be anyone else who would support this idea? There's been a few times I wanted to post a question but thought it would be weird to post it in the general "living" section. Obviously anyone would be able to answer, but I think it would be nice to have a separate area for those types of questions.

That's not a bad idea, although I usually bristle at the idea of separate sections for anything based on gender, jaja. But seriously, I've had questions/thoughts too about some of the topics you mentioned, and yes, also just felt a bit weird posting it in the Living area. I once posted a question about BC pills or OB/GYN docs or something, and it did feel a little odd.

Comment from the "other side"... :)

On the other hand, if guys didn't read the questions about finding BC pills etc, and their wives/sig others didn't get on the forums, you'd miss the "my wife gets hers at XYZ" or "I asked my wife and she said..."

And of course if you post shopping, how-to, where-do-I-find type questions in the Women's section we (guys) wouldn't have the benefit of your guidance and experience...

Alternatively, in any section of the forum you could use a consistent "tag" or even a prefix (e.g. "Women: ") in the topic... Just suggestions from the peanut(-loving) gallery...

Colin

Edited by CMinCR

. . . in any section of the forum you could use a consistent "tag" or even a prefix (e.g. "Women: ") in the topic...

Thanx Colin! Exactly what I was gonna suggest.

A 'tag' would serve to make such topics easily searchable.

Paul M.

==

I guess I just feel in general that the "living in CR" section is too wide of a section. Although the forum does not get a lot of traffic, I think it would be much easier to have sub-sections underneath the "living in CR". Like food, health, women (to my suggestion), transportation, "where to buy...", etc. The search function works well, but I think it would be nicer to have things a little more categorized. Maybe that's just the German in me.

I mean, should I really go ahead and start a tampon and lingerie thread in the living section?

Exactly. And thus the awkard feeling when just posting something right out there. Just to be clear, I'm not on any kind of "women ONLY" kind of bandwagon - as Colin said, some of the guys might have info via wives/girlfriends, or might be interested for the same reason, but if there were a section, then at least the guys would know what they were in for before making that click, hehe. I tend to like organization and categories, too - no German in the veins, but I did live there for 6 years - but I don't know, maybe tags would be OK.

Edited by stewart.tb

I am completely in favor of more sub-sections within "Living." Not so much for sensitivity issues (I have no shame - will say anything anywhere, ha ha), but the section encompasses a whole lot of topics!

I mean we should at least have regional sections. How many times do we see posts that say "WELL IN PUNTARENAS IT'S THIS WAY" and "IN THE CENTRAL VALLEY IT'S THIS WAY!" I can only comment about living in San Jose, because that's the only place I've lived. Usually I just don't reply to beach questions, but still these arguments happen all the time.

In my opinion the "tag" thing is useless. I never even look at them.

Off the top of my head this is how I would organize the site:

Living in CR, regional questions

(sub sections) - San Jose

-Cartago

-Limon

-Puntarenas

-Heredia

-Alajuela

-Guanacaste

Living in CR, other issues

(sub subsections) -where to buy...

-technology

-women

-health

-food

-transportation

-entertainment

-other

Edited by lucybelle

If you like those categories, you should check out expat-blog. I personally detest that organization, because so much of what I post and read are not region specific. Also (on that site), it is awful trying to navigate - click up, down, around, check all the separate sections. ugh.

I also don't pay any attention to the tags...

If you like those categories, you should check out expat-blog. I personally detest that organization, because so much of what I post and read are not region specific. Also (on that site), it is awful trying to navigate - click up, down, around, check all the separate sections. ugh.

I also don't pay any attention to the tags...

Well you can still always go to "what's new" (at least on this site, I've never been to expat-blog) which lists all new posts in all sections and that way you don't have to go through each and every section to check for new posts. Plus, in other forums, and how I assumed it could be done here, you can still post under the general large section such as "Living in CR- regional" (like I suggested) instead of putting it into the smaller sub topics. I just think it's nicer to have more sub categories to organize stuff. Plus that way I think we would get less topics posted over and over again. People can go to "Living in CR" then "transportation" to see if a question about driving at night has already been answered.

Plus that way I think we would get less topics posted over and over again. People can go to "Living in CR" then "transportation" to see if a question about driving at night has already been answered.

Or, perhaps less sidebars/off-topic discussions with your suggestion. I usually have to go to my profile to see, hmmm - did I post to the thread about cars to comment on crocodiles, or was it the thread on the Spanish language? I know Paul works hard to herd threads into their proper place, though.

People drive at night in CR? Yikes.... :)

... In my opinion the "tag" thing is useless. I never even look at them.

While you may not look at them, if they are used on posts, then when the time comes to search for tagged topics by tag name, they makes searching on the Forums a breeze.

Incidentally, I added a tag 'Women' to this thread, so now it can be searched.

Just FWIW . . .

Paul M.

==