Sign in to follow this  
lucybelle

Share Christmas pictures!

A Costa Rican Christmas is centered upon the Christ child, so both the Posada (the Inn) and La Porta ( the manger) take a very important position in the family Portal. It is decorated with a variety of mosses, grass and figurines of all sizes and species, which are placed carefully around in this scene representing the birth of Jesus. The baby Jesus is not placed into the manger until Christmas Eve.

This photo was taken last year, so the manger holds baby Jesus

portalcr.jpg

Mangerce.jpg

¡ Feliz Navidad y Próspero Año Nuevo!

Edited by costaricafinca

We have a little family bbq restaurant just around the corner from where we live in Texas. During the Christmas season there is a Mexican lady that makes homemade tamales for the restaurant. We ordered a dozen Thursday night and I made rice and beans to go along with it. Probably not the healthiest meal, but it was delicious and I way over ate!

For many years I collected the Dickens Village houses and brought them here with us. For our first Christmas here, I felt really humbled by my rural neighbors Portals that they lovingly set up after collecting the moss, lichen and wood to make them, so now the 'collection' is kept in their boxes, with the exception of a couple of pieces and these are displayed because our friends children love to look at them.

I have seen many that have plastic rubber ducks, elephants,T-rex dinosaurs that the children had added.

One more

IMG_7531cr.jpg

a tica friend showed me all her decorations, and where each had come from (multiple generations back), and which were going to which of her children eventually

My suegra sets up a pretty bangin portal every year. Here is the one from last year (she doesn't wait to put baby Jesus until the 24th)

P1050541.JPG

Edited by lucybelle

Paul, you should be able to find Mexican tamales in Tampa, I would think. They are as much a tradition among the latinos in the U.S. for Christmas as CR's version is here. Have you checked around? Some restaurants will sell them to take out. At least that was the case in Seattle.

I'm sure you're right, Shea; I'll have to check around. There was one restaurant (Cuban) here that used to serve a marvelous tamal en cazuela but they only make it occasionally now.

Not only do we have a lot of Cuban restaurants here in Tampa, we also have a number of Mexican and Colombian ones, so it should not be too difficult to find some.

And you can find GOYA brand Mexican style ones done up in corn husks in the freezer case in some of the larger grocery stores here.

Hope you find some Shea.

Paul M.

==

My wife and I are making tamales today. For about 120 tamales she has spent approx. 40,000 colonies. I don't know how you could make 100 of them for 6,000. FYI Paul, they are tamales, not tamal. Tamal is more or less pudding.

Actually, tamal is singular, tamales is plural. At least that's the case in most Spanish-speaking areas. On the other hand, tortilla is an egg dish in Spain, so who knows what is right or wrong?

Nice pics, all!

OK, this is going to be the ultimate dumb question, especially from someone who's been around for a little while, but ... how the heck do you post a pic anyway? When I click on the "image" button, it only had space for a URL ... no way to post from folders on your computer?

Maybe Mark can advise us, Tiffany.

I had the same problem the other day when I tried to upload something fro my computer. It wouldn't recognize any file from my computer.

Fingers X-ed.

Paul M.

==

Nice pics, all!

OK, this is going to be the ultimate dumb question, especially from someone who's been around for a little while, but ... how the heck do you post a pic anyway? When I click on the "image" button, it only had space for a URL ... no way to post from folders on your computer?

Nice pics, all!

The way that I post pictures is by selecting the More Reply Options located to the lower right of the reply window. This opens up the old style reply window which has... more options.

Below that window to the left is a button to Attach Files. After selecting this a dialog opens where you can browse your computer to find files and pictures to add to your reply.

There may be other ways to do this that I don't know. In the old days, with the earlier versions of the forum software, there used to be an easier way to add a photo. It seems to have disappeared with an upgrade.

You need to post your photo elsewhere first, such as 'Photobucket' Then you pick out the 'choice' that shows the 'direct link', copy that then paste that onto the space where you see on your computer with the 'image'

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/costaricafinca/Christmas2012-1.jpg

Click 'OK'

It will show like this

Christmas2012-1.jpg