Sign in to follow this  
lucybelle

Share Christmas pictures!

Post your Christmas tree or other decorations! Share the spirit!

We just got our tree last weekend from the tree guy in front of Pali. Also convinced my novio to buy me one of those straw reindeer. I made him a bow and it's adorable.

Here's Perlita and our tree (you can see the reindeer at the bottom right)

375513_10100311951748103_1570442644_n.jpg

Instead of an angel or star, we have two birdies at the top.

61333_10100311950735133_401670500_n.jpg

And here's the stars we put on our gate

382057_10100311595262503_1195231920_n.jpg

Which reminds me, let me go turn everything on!!!

Pretty tree, Lucybelle! Nice doggie and I like the "love birds" on top of the tree!

Thanks for sharing!

Edited by demgems

It wouldn't be Christmas in Costa Rica without tamales!

I buy mine at a local restaurant, Molino Central. At ¢1 mil per pair of tamales they sell tons of them to people to take home for Christmas dinner. YUM!

post-8422-0-54094800-1356189812_thumb.jpg

a friend made tamales w/ her neighbor - took 6 hrs for 100, all the way from picking the banana leaves to steaming the tamales. Her half of the cost was c3.000. :-)

a friend made tamales w/ her neighbor - took 6 hrs for 100, all the way from picking the banana leaves to steaming the tamales. Her half of the cost was c3.000. :-)

Mmmmm.... Such a deal! About $4.00 an hour for 100 tamales or 16.7 tamales per hour . . . (I couldn't eat 'em that fast, I don't think.)

Darn you, Julie! Now I'm rilly hankerin' fer a tasty tamal, but nowhere to get one like that here in Tampa! [sigh]

Cheers Anyway!

Paul M.

==

My wife and I are making tamales today. For about 120 tamales she has spent approx. 40,000 colonies. I don't know how you could make 100 of them for 6,000. FYI Paul, they are tamales, not tamal. Tamal is more or less pudding.

Concierto de Navidad with Coro de Cámara Quadrivium.

The choir sang Christmas carols in the Salón Comunal of my barrio last night. I actually like this better than having carolers stroll through the neighborhood. You get to hear all of the carols.

Afterward there were some fireworks and bocas made by some of the neighborhood abuelas.

post-8422-0-04855200-1356267226_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking about making tamales but don't know if it will be worth the effort since I'm by myself. I can't stand CR's version of tamales, so I make Mexican-style tamales. I have a pork shoulder waiting ... I cook them in corn husks because I don't like the taste of banana leaves.

If you like sauces on your tamales, Walmart now has a variety of dried chiles to make them. Guajillos, anchos, arboles, can't remember what else.

Paul, you should be able to find Mexican tamales in Tampa, I would think. They are as much a tradition among the latinos in the U.S. for Christmas as CR's version is here. Have you checked around? Some restaurants will sell them to take out. At least that was the case in Seattle.

I can't tell you how much I miss Mexican food.

I can't tell you how much I miss Mexican food.

Isn't that the truth? NO good Mexican food in Costa Rica. I asked my novio how come there aren't any Mexicans here to open up a good Mexican restaurant. He says "they all went to the USA!" :lol: