I read a tread about a month ago that had a link to a 'news paper' article. The article had to do with a change in the permitting system and that the process was being sped up.

I went to look for it again today and can not find it.

Could some one please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Edited by fpapia

no, i think you did not read wrong. i recall that, too. was in one of the blogs i am subscribing to or in tico times or costarica news or icr news..... but cannot find it either. as far as i remember the article stated that san jose would be the first province in c.r. where one will be / or is able to obtain a building permit within a couple of days (a week max). had a very positive experience with the muni de osa lately: building permit within a week - hats off!!

I read a tread about a month ago that had a link to a 'news paper' article. The article had to do with a change in the permitting system and that the process was being sped up.

I went to look for it again today and can not find it.

Could some one please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Hi there.

Just adding a brief info, I guess you are talking about housing building permits. If we were talking about other kinds of projects, you should consider extra requirements, for instance for condos, apartments, offices´ building, restaurants.

But talking about housing projects, since some time ago, there is a unified simpler process before CFIA (Colegio Federado de Ingenieros y de Arquitectos de Costa Rica, that is the architectural and engineering bureau in the country). In the old times, you had to go even to INVU, the housing institution, then to CFIA, then to the Ministerio the Salud (the bureau in charge of health), and finally to the local municipality. Now, your architect or engineer presents the design (the blueprints) directly to CFIA; there, all the institutions involved check the design and give the approval, so you can go the the local municipality to get the building permits. This process, that now is digital too (sending the blueprints by email), is saving a lot of time.

You have to pay the professional´s fees, plus around 0.3% for CFIA´s approval and 1% for the municipality permits, according to the general investment for the work. But be careful in deciding how big your house would be, because if it is more than 300 square meters (3230 square feet), the municipality could ask for SETENA (the national environmental department)´s approval, that is an extra cost and could take from one more to a half year or more, according to the project´s complexity. For instance, in one client´s case in Guanacaste, whose house was a 4000 sf residence, it took two months to get that approval and he had to pay 1200 USD more, but he wanted his house that large.

So, I suggest to discuss with your architect or engineer about your needs and if it is necessary or not to get more than 3230 sf for the total area, in order to save time and money.

Buena suerte con sus trámites al respecto.

Edited by Rodrigo

Excellent information as usual from Rodrigo.

However -- in general, keep in mind that what is written in the newspaper often has little to do with the reality. What is important is the person sitting across the desk from you. Most of us have had occasion to try to accomplish something and the process for accomplishing it will depend on the person across the desk from you, no matter what has been written in the newspaper or no matter what someone else's experience has been.