Can anyone tell me if older 5000. colones and older 10,000. colones paper bills are still being used?

My aunt and uncle just gave me a nice gift but we are not in Costa Rica yet and I know that different

bills are out of circulation.

Thanks

Beverley

Yes, but after December they will no longer be accepted by most businesses. You will have to take them to a bank and exchange for the new notes starting January 2013.

Dana

Edited by DanaJ

I have been looking for the article that I read but cannot find it. I thought it had a date of November 1st for circulation removal and after that it had to go to a certain bank in San Jose <still looking>

the bank to exchange old for new is the central bank - it is near the central post office in SJ - has all those statues of "ordinary people" in front of it

I exchanged old notes at BN last week in San Jose and at the air port. No problem.

Rudy

I got the old 10,000 colón notes from the ATM at BN a few days ago, mixed in with new bills.

I got the old 10,000 colón notes from the ATM at BN a few days ago, mixed in with new bills.

Ah, Costa Rica inconsistency. The banks are supposed to only be dispensing the new notes now. B)

Dana

A teller (not ATM!) gave me a combination of old and new bills last week. Would it be considered a breach of etiquette if I asked for only new bills? (If they're going to be obsolete, or at least hard to exchange, in a month or so, I'd hate to give them to people who do work for us or to small businesses.)

regards,

Gayle

Edited by salish sea

...or you could spend them. The old style bills still work.

If it was near the end of the month when the old bills are supposed to go out of circulation then I would definitely ask for the new style bills whether at a bank or store. They should understand why.