Sign in to follow this  
FredS

Just curious, any musicians here?

I used to be a rock n roll drummer the 60s - 70s. Haven't played a set of drums for decades.

Been playing at trying to play the uke for the last year and a half.

Any jammers out there?

I have never done so in public, Fred, but I do play the radio and the phonograph -which surely dates me!

But seriously there are a number of people who do get together to jam occasionally. Julie Hill's other half, Rick likes to when they are in CR. Actually they moved to San Pedro, east of downtown San José to be near UCR where there are a lot of students who like to get together and jam.

There are also some folks I know of who occasionally rendezvous casually at Jalapeños and then once it is closed for the evening will break out their instruments and swing for a while! I've never attended one of those set, but they apparently have fun, so it keeps happening from time to time.

So I wouldn't worry about finding someone to do this with in CR. There are peeps around and once you settle in you can put out feelers.

HTH

Paul M.

==

There are peeps around and once you settle in you can put out feelers.

Thanks Paul, good to know. I guess my intent was to inquire if any of the regular posters here were musicians of any sort.

I see the band may already have a trombone player... hey lucybelle! I'll be sure to march behind you. :D

Fred, no musician here (hey! I once played violin in elementary school and I was so bad the teacher made me play OUTSIDE), but your comment made me laugh. I'd be happy to cheer you and Lucybelle on ...

regards,

Gayle

I'm moving to CR and bringing all my gear in order to set up a home recording studio. Puriscal area I think. Will be looking for other musicians too.

we searched and searched for the equivalent of an open mic - no luck. you basically have to depend on collecting musician friends for jams/private parties.

Joe Anello is a drummer, and plays regularly (Sundays) at a place outside of Grecia - can't remember the name just now - anyone else remember?

we searched and searched for the equivalent of an open mic - no luck. you basically have to depend on collecting musician friends for jams/private parties.

Joe Anello is a drummer, and plays regularly (Sundays) at a place outside of Grecia - can't remember the name just now - anyone else remember?

Hi Julie,

Isn't that Jo's place, and called Vista del Valle, located in Rosario de Naranjo?

I'm pretty sure that's it.

Paul M.

==

If I were looking for musicians, I would go to places where they are playing professionally (bars) and ask them what the casual music scene is like and how you could be included.

I played in a band with one of the Manhattans years ago. I think I played sax and sang. Played in jazz band for a while in college sax and wood wind. Have not played for decades but sang in not to distant past did not get a standing ovation.

Gambler

There is a place called Motor Psychos Bar and Grill in Santa Anna. Sometimes they have poeple jamming on the weekends.

There is another place that I'm planning to check out next year.It is Roadhouse 169 it is down South of Playa Dominical, Southern Costa Rica. They have local bands playing. Maybe you could fill in sometimes.

Used to sing, but now only in the shower and with the iPod. I could bust out a mean kazoo, though. I basically kick ass on kazoo.

Hmm, it seems I'll have to keep my ass protected from all manner of instruments. Trombones. Kazoos...

Edited by FredS

I played in a band with one of the Manhattans years ago. I think I played sax and sang. Played in jazz band for a while in college sax and wood wind. Have not played for decades but sang in not to distant past did not get a standing ovation.

Gambler

Cool! I love the sax and jazz in general. My dad was an awesome sax player and I tried it early on but had a heck of time with my short, stubby fingers trying to reach all the keys. Hence the drums!