Hi all,

We're soon to run out of the high quality cat food we brought with us from the States for our beloved 17-year old cat. None of the vets in San Ramon has anything we want to buy. We'll be in Alajuela and San Jose next week and wonder if any of you have any sources for high quality cat food.

Thank you!

regards,

Gayle

Hi all,

We're soon to run out of the high quality cat food we brought with us from the States for our beloved 17-year old cat. None of the vets in San Ramon has anything we want to buy. We'll be in Alajuela and San Jose next week and wonder if any of you have any sources for high quality cat food.

Thank you!

regards,

Gayle

The vets here in Atenas have Science Diet, call El Encanto (Dr Natalia) at 2446-4236, she also has a wide selection of other kitty foods.

DR. Solano (only open eves & Sat) carries Virbac & Sci. Diet.

p.s. The SD and other imported pet foods are also much more expensive than say the Nutrisource.

But we buy the SD Longivity for Mr (Sr) Sam as he eats so little it lasts almost a month.

Edited by DanaJ

I buy the Kirkland brand for my dog,they also have it for cats. Long before moving here, I'd researched the premium brands in the states, really investigated the ingredients and what was good for dogs and how dog food was made. Kirkland kept coming out on top, and in the states, it was much cheaper than the "premium" brands. Here in CR, I buy it at Pricesmart. It's about twice the price here, but a 40lb. bag lasts my Lab about 2 months. I think it runs around 19,000 colones. I don't have to feed my dog as much of the Kirkland as I would the other brands, and also his, er, droppings, are firmer and he seems more "regular". I can't tell you specifically about the cat food, but I'd assume Kirkland has the same ingredient and quality standards for their cat food.

Edited by stewart.tb

Hi Gayle,

Is there a particular brand you'd like to find?

Based on a lot of research, I've been feeding my cat Innova food, which is highly rated. This is some info I posted a couple of years ago: http://forums.arcr.n...ica/#entry32986 (skip down to the "cat food" section.) Most of the places that sell Innova also have other food from the Innova line. (http://www.naturapet.com/)

Some updates:

- El Salitre Ferreteria now has the Innova cat food

- it's now possible to find the large bags of Innova, which are a much better buy. They're not always in stock, however, so you best bet is to call the store and ask them to order and/or save one for you. Zoo Mascota gets it for me within a few days of a request.

- another source of high quality cat food, even Natura's Evo line which is really hard to find, is a new "holistic" vet hospital next to the Bagelman's in Escazu (map here: http://puravidaguide...rant-in-escazu/). When I was there a week ago they had a very good supply of premium cat food, both dry and canned, including the large Innova bags.

And if your shopping trip includes delicacies for the humans in your household, both Zoo Mascota in Lindora and the new Ezcazu hospital are very close to Automercado stores.

As for PriceSmart, I'm pretty sure they don't carry the cat version of Kirkland's food. I'm at their Ezcazu location fairly often, including a trip this week, and always check out the pet food section and I've never seen it.

UPDATE, Oct 12: Today the Escazu Pricesmart had giant bags of Kirkland cat food, as well as the Kirkland dog food.

Edited by pro-bono

There is a place in Alajuela with the most veriety that I have seen anywhere. I had to go there for my dogs food as well.. I can't remember the name, but if you drive by Wallmart (on right) towards town (going away from airport) it is the first or second left, about 2-3 blocks down. There is a big warehouse/garage like pet store on the left with tons of brands and all kinds of pet stuff ...more than I have seen anywhere else.

At least if you get in the general area you will find it with some help of people around.

Good luck

Great info, everyone! I suspect Innova would suit CRC (Costa Rica cat) more than Science Diet, but another member sent me a PM about a pet food megastore in Alajuela -- maybe that's the place that's near Walmart? -- and I'll post here about what they have.

regards,

Gayle

It is on Calle Ancha and tho not next to MalWart, not that far away, either...

When you come from the airport and pass MalWart and Mall Internacional northbound, at the 3rd stoplight -where KFC is- turn LEFT onto Calle Ancha.

Then you go about 2 to 3 blocks west and this big pet food place in near Arpe, a big hardware outlet, and just before Calle Ancha turns north.. It should be just before you get to Arpe and both are on the left side of the street.

If you haven't found it and see Arpe, pull in and ask.

Shouldn't be hard to find, at all.

Good Luck!

Paul M.

==

Thanks, Paul, for the directions. How do you know ALL this stuff?

It's a secret, Gayle...

Or maybe it's cuz I live in Alajuela Centro.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Update on the premium pet food: we found the place Paul and Joe mentioned, and it is as good as they have said! I found Taste of the Wild dog food, which we used to feed CRD (Costa Rica Dog, just as we have CRC, Costa Rica Cat) when we lived in western WA. And Evo brand cat food looks to be just perfect, so many thanks to all of you!

regards,

Gayle

There is a place in Alajuela with the most veriety that I have seen anywhere. I had to go there for my dogs food as well.. I can't remember the name, but if you drive by Wallmart (on right) towards town (going away from airport) it is the first or second left, about 2-3 blocks down. There is a big warehouse/garage like pet store on the left with tons of brands and all kinds of pet stuff ...more than I have seen anywhere else.

At least if you get in the general area you will find it with some help of people around.

Good luck

Coming into Alajuela from the airport exit, you will go past Walmart. You will want to be in the left lane at that point, since moving over will be an impossibility. You turn left at KFC, then go 2 or 3 blocks and you'll see it on the left. Open front, pull in parking almost like you're driving into the store. It has a not-very-big sign up high with the name of a popular pet food (I think), but I can't remember which one.

And I don't even have a pet! lol