luv2fish

here are facts of flying pets back to USA from CR

two of ours will fly inside cabin. these are our two smallest.

the other five will fly in cargo (petsafe) United,

i had to contact CR PET Services ( I GIVE THEM GOOD RECOMMENDATION)

you give them weight and flight details and they figure your charge.

sInce we have five pets in cargo, they had to make two air frieght.bills

cost for 5 . (4 cats) 8-10 pounds each and 2 dogs that weigh 16 pounds each

cost 650.00 just for pet services to do paper work and transfer pets to terminal and tag kennels and all that. THIS WAS DEPOSITED DIRECT TO THEIR CORP BANK ACCOUNT, 4 WEEKS PRIOR

Now the united fee totals 1550.00 for the five, BASED ON WEIGHTS AND DESTINATIONS.

125,00 each for the in cabin pets

SO ALL TOTAL FOR 7 PETS IS RIGHT At 2500.00

plus HEALTH CERTIFICATES FROM VET. MT VET CHARGED ME 40,00 EACH SINCE I HAD so MANY PETS. USUALLY 55-60.00 EACH.

so 2500.00

plus 280.00

2780.00 TOTAL TOTAL

RABIES MUST BE DONE WITHIN 30 DAYS TO ONE YEAR PRIOR FOR PETS GOING TO TEXAS

so dont wait til last minute.. FYI

pets get dropped three hours before flight at another bldg 1 km from passenger terminal

then they take them to airport.

they will be kept in climate controlled area and loaded last before we leave.

i will remind my stewardess. that i know well and love that they are on there and to remind captain

(as per my united pilot friend) :) so i feel good about it..

the flight area for them on the plane will have pressurized air and ac and LIghts

SOME THINK IM CRAZY

BUT MY FURKIDS ARE PART OF OUR FAMILY AND I WOULD NEVER LEAVE THEM BEHIND.

thanks ARCR. our journey together has been well. its just time for us to be back in TEXAS after five years.

God bless you all

laura

I don't think you are crazy. I flew back to Texas in 2008 with 2 cats, and 5 dogs but I did it all myself - didn't use a service. And then when we moved here permanently in 2009 I flew down with 5 dogs - 4 in cabin and 1 in cargo (I had friends that were dog mules for me). Again, didn't use a service.

they are my family. they are better than most people. :D

We only have two (un gato y una perra), but they go where we go: flew with us (from Seattle) to Halifax, sailed down the east coast, flew to CR, flew with us back to the US, and rode with us across country. Well-travelled and only a little traumatized, but, yes, they are family members and worth the extra hassle.

When we move back to the USA I plan on bringing my doggy! I'll have to drug her good. She gets motion sick really easily. Poor doggy :(

Just an FYI, airlines will not accept pets for travel as checked baggage/cargo if they have been given any type of tranquilizer, because they do not want to be liable if the animal has a bad reaction to the medication. They will make the shipper sign a document stating the animal has not been medicated. I assume these regulations would not apply if the pet is small enough to travel "in-cabin", but I would check with the airline anyway.

Yeah, the vet told me it was because at higher altitudes, the drug could have unknown effects. (Like back in the day when you could still get free booze on flights, I always wondered why those little mini bottles packed such a punch ... someone told me the effect can be stronger at higher altitudes.)

That being said, I did give my dog Mason a BIT of tranquilizer before sending him to daughter. He was an old guy, had been abused before we adopted him, and had separation anxiety. I gave him less than half a dose of the "norm" for his size. (he was a big dog) Even with that, he was noticeably out of it, so I worried, because although the vet had told me it would be better for Mason to give him a partial dose, I did not have that in writing. But the airline let him go through, although I wouldn't count on that. Poor guy, it was so very stressful on him.

I did find out that you can get a vet's recommendation in writing, and if it is displayed as part of his packet on the outside of the crate, you can do it. I don't remember if that was just my airline's rule or not. If your dog is the type where the risk of tranquilizer is the lesser evil over flying, you can ask the vet and your airline. I still wouldn't give a full dose, even with a recommendation. And I wouldn't tranq a dog unless the need was very severe. If Fifi is just goign to freak out a little,, well, Fifi will live. With Mason's history of abuse, his fear of new situations, his fear of loud noises, and the separation anxiety, he would've had a heart attack with nothing to calm him a bit. That being said, I did not like the effect of the tranquilizer on him, and was quite worried about him. It took him a while to recover.

Luckily I won't have to ship her for another year. But she's a freak show and I really worry about it. She's just a little too big to take as a carry-on (17kg). Though I wonder what the restrictions are. I'd 100 times over rather her with me.

Just get her used to the carrier. she sleeps there, eats there, it is her happy place. You might try a Thunderjacket (it goes by a bunch of names) for anxiety.

You can use other meds that are not tranqs - like benadryl, camomile, L-tryptofan. etc.

but the best you can do is desensitize her to the crate and other distractions before travel.