Sign in to follow this  
demgems

First Trip To Costa Rica!

YEAH!!! I just bought my airline ticket and I will arrive in CR on Tues, Jan 22nd! ... if Hurricane Isaac doesn't blow me away tomorrow! Actually it's not that bad of a storm. It's just eerie and hard to suppress the memories of Katrina which struck here on 8/29/05 - almost 7 years ago to the day. Anyway, I can't wait to get my first taste of pura vida!

I'll be staying in Grecia and have looked at both the B and B Grecia or the Hotel Mango Valley. I heard that the B and B Grecia is under new management since July.

Has anyone had recent experience with either of these properties? Your comments or other recommendation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

dem

Yay, congratulations!

I meant to tell you in an earlier post (about football) that I had a good friend from NO, and actually went to visit once -- like nowhere else, that's for sure -- and I learned about "futbol americano" via the Saints. Had an official Ricky Williams jersey and all, jajaja. I remember watching the Saints on a tiny 13" tv in the satellite shack on the base in Hungary in the middle of the night to see the games live. I remember what my friend and his family went through with Katrina (no deaths or bad injuries, but his mom's house, which had been the family gathering spot for ages, was on the beach in Waveland, got wiped out.) My second favorite football team is still the Saints, but gotta go Seahawks for my number one. Anyway, welcome from a kind of newbie ... just celebrated my year about a month ago.

January is summer here, yay!

Yay, congratulations!

I meant to tell you in an earlier post (about football) that I had a good friend from NO, and actually went to visit once -- like nowhere else, that's for sure -- and I learned about "futbol americano" via the Saints. Had an official Ricky Williams jersey and all, jajaja. I remember watching the Saints on a tiny 13" tv in the satellite shack on the base in Hungary in the middle of the night to see the games live. I remember what my friend and his family went through with Katrina (no deaths or bad injuries, but his mom's house, which had been the family gathering spot for ages, was on the beach in Waveland, got wiped out.) My second favorite football team is still the Saints, but gotta go Seahawks for my number one. Anyway, welcome from a kind of newbie ... just celebrated my year about a month ago.

January is summer here, yay!

WOW Tiffany! That's so funny ... so much connection you have to the Saints and my area! We love our Saints. We waited a LONG TIME for a quality team. We got Drew Brees right after Katrina and he and Sean Peyton have done so much for the morale of this area. We'd like to make one more "first" for the record books ... to be the first team to ever play in the Super Bowl in their own hometown. I know it seems impossible but if any team can do it, WE can!

Yes - summertime in January - sounds GREAT to me. Tiffany, you're all running together in my head; refresh my memory. Where do you live in CR? It would be great to meet some of you while I'm there.

Hasta enero!

Darlene

We're in a little town called San Lorenzo, it's sort of in between Alajuela and Heredia in the central valley. It's near San Joaquín de Flores. It's a nice little area, quiet, coffee fields, horses, but it's not "country" like we'd think of it in the US. We're always up for meeting folks, and the esposo is always up for practicing his English, so you won't even have to Gringo Pinto it, hahaha.

yay! hope to see you then!

We stayed at a B&B in Grecia, but it was several years ago - it was only a block or two from the central park, had a very nice common area.

Another place in Grecia that we stayed in a few years ago was the La Terraza Guest house (http://www.laterrazab-b.com/)

Its very nice an quiet, and the owner, Jeanetta Owens make you feel like family. Its not right IN Grecia, but its very nice.

Dana

Yes, I did see La Terrazza. It looked GREAT - until I saw the rate!?! Also I would prefer to be close in town for easeier mobility. Is there any other decemt B & B in the center of Grecia?

Thanks,

dem

yay! hope to see you then!

We stayed at a B&B in Grecia, but it was several years ago - it was only a block or two from the central park, had a very nice common area.

Hey,Julie,

Yeah, hope my travel itinerary will bring me close enough to your area. Would be great to swap stories and enjoy the balmy air of Costa Rica as you said!

Hasta enero!

dem

How exciting!

Never stayed in Grecia, but I'm sure either place will be great!

I'm laughing, Lucybelle, I definitely picture you as a big city girl!

Me - I'm a peace and quiet, quaint little country town gal!