I've been looking at ATVs on http://www.encuentra24.com and I see license plates (as opposed to dead people...) so I assume they're street legal. Does anyone use an ATV / UTV for local errands or transportation? What type of driver's license is required? They look like a pretty good alternative to an automobile, especially if it's a short trip.

Your thoughts & comments are eagerly awaited.

They are street legal with plates. I know you have to pay marchamo, just like a car, & I think the marchamo would be the same as for a car of the same value. I don't know for sure if the ATV must go through RITEVE but my suspicion is that it probably does. I see people use ATVs in Parrita as well as in Jaco as far as running errands & such. It wouldn't be practical for us as we live too far away to consider it safe to use in that way (not to mention the 4 kids I generally have with me most of the time!).

Jessica

I've been looking at ATVs on http://www.encuentra24.com and I see license plates (as opposed to dead people...) so I assume they're street legal. Does anyone use an ATV / UTV for local errands or transportation? What type of driver's license is required? They look like a pretty good alternative to an automobile, especially if it's a short trip.

Your thoughts & comments are eagerly awaited.

It might be fun, but it's not a replacement for a car.

Jim

gaaahhh, HATE those things! They are so freaking LOUD, they practically give me a heart attack everytime they scream by on their souped up super-mosquito engines. I always wonder how they can be legal on the roads, and I confess to fantasies of having a magic remote controller that will immediately and permantly kill the engine ...

Sorry. That's off my chest now.

My stepson says they're legal, by the way.

Edited by stewart.tb

gaaahhh, HATE those things! They are so freaking LOUD, they practically give me a heart attack everytime they scream by on their souped up super-mosquito engines. I always wonder how they can be legal on the roads, and I confess to fantasies of having a magic remote controller that will immediately and permantly kill the engine ...

Sorry. That's off my chest now.

My stepson says they're legal, by the way.

stewart.tb I agree with you about the noise thing. There will ALWAYS be idiots that ruin things for more responsible citizens. I hate the loud pipes on Harleys & the ironic thing is that the "average" Harley owner is probably an otherwise law abiding Doctor, Lawyer, or Indian Chief. I think a lot of the middle-aged Harley owners think they're bad biker dudes once they pull on their leather pants. Sort of like when I was 10 & used to pretend I was an Astronaut.

It's just me, myself, & I so I think there's probably room for all three of us to fit on one ATV.

Up until recently we used 2 ATV's to move around locally. One was a legal 2 seater and the other was just for one individual. We did use them occasionally on main roads, but with traffic the way it is, we mainly used them locally as we are in a rural area.

They do require both marchamo and Riteve for legal road use. You are required to have a motorcycle license.

I enjoyed them, until we had an accident, then I felt very vulnerable on the gravel roads.

Like motorbikes, some owners like them loud....

Edited by costaricafinca

There's another thing you might consider for Costa Rica, PDX, ad that's one of the 3-wheeled Piaggio's, like the Ape.

Some Piaggio models are sold in CR. You would also need a MC license to drive one but with part of the year being rainy (or very rainy), that these vehicles have an enclosed cab would help a lot in wet weather.

And there are diesel models avaiIable in CR. I once saw an ad in La Nación or the Tico Times, more likely, touting that the 3-wheeler could get up to 80 mpg. One drawback is that they are not the best on steeply inclined roads.

If I were going to buy a lightweight vehicle to run around town in I'd plunk down the moolah for one of these 3-wheelers. Last I was told they were running around $4G.

Solamente mis dos granitos de arena . . .

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Try looking into a UTV that can be covered for the rains. They are great for transitioning from dirt to pavement and handle the inclines well.

You just have to make sure, they are indeed, street legal. Most have to have alterations to make them legal.

We made the alterations ourselves with the advice of a mechanic and all went well.

I opted for a diesel which is a bit more pricey so hopefully it pays off in the long run.

A neighbor bought a electric John Deere Gator. I wouldn't recommend that unless you may be on flat level terrain.

The people who purchased our property brought one with them, and they were never able to get it 'street legal'. Another friend in Playa Samara purchased one locally and the dealer told him 'don't worry...we'll make it legal' and still his isn't 'legal' either

My husband is a heavy duty mechanic, so if we get one , he can do what it takes.

I was just trying to point out that not all are 'ready to roll'...

CRF, I'm a little curious. What does it take to make an ATV street legal? A horn, lights and turn signals? Or is there something more complicated?

Not that I'm considering purchasing one, just is that I see these things on the road with plates so I was just wondering why some can be made legal and others not.

I'm still runing my Piaggio APE 3 wheel (this is the second one I bought). I use it constantly to get to San Jose from Miramar. Gets over 80 mpg on diesel. very reliable. One thing I did was rig an oil cooler on it. Pur a temperature gauge on the back of the block to monitor the temp. This was a bunch of work (hours and hours of tinkering, fitting tubeing, etc.) but boy was it worth it!! These things are built very, very tough! Some things are required to be modiried if you buy one though. In my opinion, anyone buying the Piaggio APE would not regret it. They are very stable on the road, and are not affected by large trucks passing, etc. Being small, and 3 wheel though, caution should be used. Never had a problem with the two of mine. If anyone buys one, drop me a line for advice on what to watch for, and SMALL, INEXPENSIVE changes that may be needed, if you desired!! Respectfully

Mark, it can be the import paperwork that causes most problems, as was the case of the one brought into the country of our friends. In fact, these are the folk who I recently mentioned had just listed the property for sale and have returned to Arkansas and decided to take the UTV back with them!

Yes, the three points you mention plus tow hitches and winches. With a UTV it is also windscreen/wipers Minor points but for some reason major ones with Riteve.

I should have added that the ATV's went with the farm. And just last month, when the Riteve inspection on one was due and someone new took it in, it failed! 'Someone' had welded a piece on the exhaust to make it louder, so the probe couldn't be inserted. Seemingly, nobody would own up to who did the work....

Edited by costaricafinca

There is a UTV/vehicle from Polaris called the Gem that meets road standards. They are compact but not really rugged as a true UTV. I test drove one in the United States and I wouldn't be too bad for most street use.