Sign in to follow this  
rennagentry

How can I become a real estate agent in Costa Rica?

I am an American who wants to sell real estate in Costa rica. How do I do this?

---I married a Costa Rican which is one-way to sell real estate in CR when you obtain your CR Residency.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

You have to have permanent residency in Costa Rica to work, like what Tom and Marcia said. Even if you could - why would you want to? Everyone and their mother and dog is a real estate agent in CR or so it seems. Plus, not much is selling like in the boom days.

You have to have permanent residency in Costa Rica to work, like what Tom and Marcia said. Even if you could - why would you want to? Everyone and their mother and dog is a real estate agent in CR or so it seems. Plus, not much is selling like in the boom days.

---I have read a few threads on this Forum that some ARCR Forum Members are married to Costa Ricans and recently obtained their CR TEMPORARY Residency. However, stated on their CR Cedula are the words "libre condition" which they interpret as being able to work in CR. I think their reasonsing on being allowed to work here in CR is that "family law trumps CR Residency law" in that they are helping to support their family.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

Rick if that works for you, more power to you. Having been married two times in the past - I consider marriage riskier than starting a business! I could potenitally sell my business but I couldn't give away my ex-husbands. :D

Wow, those are interesting answers considering that I have had at least 10 real estate agents wait on me (in the last three years) that were young Americans with the non status of perpetual tourist. I'm not sure how they get around the rules. I bought property from two of them and I am pretty sure they got paid by somebody. Possibly the status of an independent contractor, which they are, may allow them to not really be "employed".

They are not legal. "Independent contractor" is still a working (as opposed to "own-and-manage") position. Some people confidently assert that since the client is paying a corporation instead of the individual that it is legal because they "aren't being paid."

In reality most of those you encounter who are working illegally simply haven't been caught because the (real estate transaction for example) occurs via a lawyer and no actionable record of agent commission comes to light without someone pointing it out.

As with illegal work in other countries, it happens, but the worker has no rights and stands to lose a lot. I know many who work(ed) here illegally, and a few who ticked off someone (client, lawyer, another Tico agent, or expat) and were reported. Not a situation I'd like to be in.

So don't expect to be a "real estate agent" until achieving Permanent residency.

Edited by CountDown

There are many young ex-pats, legally selling real estate here who do indeed, have a cedula stating 'libre condition' due to marrying a Tica and /or having a family here.

Unless you ask too see the cedula, you won't know for sure...

Wow, those are interesting answers considering that I have had at least 10 real estate agents wait on me (in the last three years) that were young Americans with the non status of perpetual tourist. I'm not sure how they get around the rules. I bought property from two of them and I am pretty sure they got paid by somebody. Possibly the status of an independent contractor, which they are, may allow them to not really be "employed".

How do they do that? Its simple, RE is not controlled, licensed or regulated here like it is in the US or Canada. All you need to do is set up an SA, print up some business cards, open a web site, and rent an office somewhere and hang a RE sign outside with a familiar US sounding name on it.

Dana, I think that you are making things more difficult than they really are...

I am a Real Estate Agent

There, I am now officially a real estate agent!

Mark, you are right. It's that easy. That doesn't make it legal.

When someone asks why they see other people doing things they want to do, but are told they can't, I think it is best to give the legal answer. After all, anyone can do whatever they want if they are willing to risk the consequences. And just because someone looks like a Gringo doesn't mean they aren't working legally. It's best to understand the law.

T

It's only legal if you have the legal right to work in CR.

But as far as having a corporation, business cards, website, gold jacket, office, training, license, ethics, morals or anything else... sadly, not required.