Sign in to follow this  
gambler93

Guns are not the cause of Violence

We are being overwhelmed here in the States by both sides of having guns and not having guns. It is true that guns are used to commit awful crimes but is the real problem the gun. If you collected all the guns would violence go away. Next do you collect all knives and frozen turkey legs ( Perry Mason) I think in years past. Then what. People have been killing each other before there were guns. The problem maybe more our culture of violence in many aspects of everyday life. Or maybe there is some responsibility on the part of the person that does these violent things. Kill a few people and become famous. Cannot recall if it was Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer. We sign or names in blood in the secret cave and promise that we become pirates, robbers and murders. One is afraid of the dark and wants his mother and the others have no plan to do any violent thing and all go home and society is none the worst off. Now the boys in their private rooms on the net learn many things and actually carry them out. My concern is safety. I feel safer in Costa Rica than here. Does anyone know of the statistical probability of being physically harmed as a tourist in Costa Rica as compared to living in a large city in the States or Las Vegas Atlantic City. I own guns and would be reluctant to give up that right I do not feel that I need a gun in Costa Rica. People in Costa Rica are more interested in my belongings than harming me. Here in the States people may kill you for no apparent reason. Killing people you do not know making prayers or watching a movie that is scary.

Ed

The problem with guns, and having them so readily and easily available is that it makes it easier to escalate the level of violence. Its so easy just to pull the trigger. Most people really would have to think about escalation if all they had was a knife or hammer on hand.

I had a friend in law enforcment in Texas, and in all the cases he saw involving guns over the years, VERY FEW were guns being used in anything that could be called 'self defense'.

Too many domestic violence cases that went just that one step too far. Too many 'accidental' shootings(kids playing with daddies guns, etc). Too many suicides, and in latter years, murder & suicides. Guns being stolen and used in robberies that often went wrong with someone dying. Or being turned on the owners who had them for 'self defense'.

But in all those years, only a very few actual cases of guns being used for self defense.

But hay, if having a closet full of firearms make you feel safer, thats your choice, just know how to use them is all I ask.

DJ

Edited by DanaJ

Don't really want to jump into this fully, but just one point, in addition to what Dana said above, about making it easier to escalate the violence: you can't really do mass murders with a knife or a club. You can't walk into a theater or a temple or a school or a US senator's event and kill high numbers of people with a knife or a club. Maybe you'd get a couple of good injuries in before somebody took you down, or if you were really good with your weapon of choice, you might kill someone or even 2 or 3 ... but there would not be 58 people injured, there probably wouldn't be 7 people killed. Also, I suspect if these mass shooters had to use something more up close and personal ... had to touch the person they're murdering, feel the knife tearing through flesh, be inches away from their eyes ... they may not have the nerve. I just can't see a good reason for people to have ownership of a semi-automatic weapon. You don't need a semi automatic for hunting or self defense.

I don't really get your post. You say you don't need a gun here because people aren't interested in harming you. But guess what? It's HARD to get a gun here. You can't just walk into Wal Mart and buy a gun. Could it be why people are less violent because it's much harder to get a gun?

You say you need a gun in the USA because people want to hurt you. Yeah, because they have guns.

Soooo... if we get rid of the guns, then you wouldn't feel the need to have one... right?

In Florida, I have to show my ID when I buy cough medicine for my children & am limited to 2 bottles per purchase because of the meth production problem. However, I can apparently buy thousands of rounds of ammunition without raising any kind of red flag. Something is wrong with that picture.

I certainly don't want to take away anyone's right to bear arms, but gun control legislation makes sense in that there are assault weapons that no civilian should have access to & anyone buying massive amounts of ammunition should be checked out. Based on what happened in Colorado & in other similar cases, background checks aren't sufficient for pinpointing someone who intends to commit these senseless acts of violence so I believe purchase habits should be monitored. Just my opinion.

Well put, everyone! Yaaaay! You all took the words right out of my keyboard!

Edited by Shea

Believe it or not, it's the price of a gun, is the cause of problem. Growing up, few people had guns or if they did it was the head of the house and it was only one. They did not have the spare money to buy toys. And, to most men that is what a gun is, a toy to show off to their friends. The more guns that are bought---the more they make.

Hell, I have 4 in the house right now and I support gun control. As long as there is a NRA, the USA will pump out as many weapons as the market will buy.

It's insane, but only one of many insane things that are going on.

They load my container the !4th and on Sept. 5 I get out of the nuthouse. See you soon!!!!!

I make no claim to be able to provide an answer to the problem of violence in our society. I just am unsure if you take my gun I will be safer. My experience in the south has been that not everyone has equal protection. If you threaten to burn my home, place a cross out front and show up in bed sheet preparing to drag a man behind a truck for one victim or 50 these are not civil acts. I think that the minority community has become adjusted to the possibility of random violence. There is often little likelihood of any redress under the law.What we are seeing now is that the violence is spilling over to include the majority and what do you do. Do you legislate in Florida stand your ground and not think that this is an open invitation to more violence. I would gladly get rid of my weapon if it would mean peace and safety. Defining the problem maybe where we need to start and not with a knee jerk. The violence on our boarder with Mexico is a Mexican failure to control the violence. Rarely is it a problem with the way we manage substance abuse in the States. If there is no market for drugs there is no supply after a time. I base this assumption on my experience in this free market society. People stop buying Pinto. Vegas, Gremlin and Pacers. The manufacturers stop making and move on to something else to sell. No one is responsible for his behavior but the society has failed in some way to prevent me acting in a civil manner. Please keep the victims families in your thoughts as well as the families of the persons that promote these in human acts.

Ed

I have a son-in-law in Hernando MS who will become the new owner. I don't know how I ended up with so many. We lived on a farm for 14 years and I carried a 22 for snakes. Next think I knew, I had a 25> Super 38> and a 357 plus 2 shotguns. And I belong to the party they keep saying is going to take your guns away.LoL

konotahe, what will you do with your guns, since it will be illegal for you to have them, in Costa Rica?

BTW, it is easy and legal to go to most hardware stores and buy an air rifle, here.

konotahe, what will you do with your guns, since it will be illegal for you to have them, in Costa Rica?

BTW, it is easy and legal to go to most hardware stores and buy an air rifle, here.

---I read on another thread where JACO stated he has a small arsenal and a couple of attack dogs in his Jaco fortress, so, maybe Konotahe should contact JACO for advise on building his arsenal and attack dog training here in Costa Rica :unsure:

Rick

Edited by tibas9

I don't believe there is anywhere in my posts, I gave my endorsement for the using or even owning of a fire arm. The fact is there are more fire arms in the States than there are people---you would have to be crazy not to think that is wrong. I bought mine from people who worked for me and ask me to buy them. There are 3 of them I have never shot, and, will not miss them at all. The State of Tn. passed a law not long ago, which allowed you to carry a gun while in a bar as long as you were not drinking. Most people go to a bar to drink---booze and guns---the wild west rides again.

Did you know there were 80,000,000 gun owners in the United States that DIDN'T commit a violent crime yesterday? Believe it or not, there are FAR more responsible, law-abiding gun owners than there are criminals. A tool doesn't make a person evil, only their intent does.

Yes to have or not to have. But, I vbelieve that if you look at some states that have many legal carrying guns citizens you will find that the crime rate is lower then in states that do not permit guns. I believe Vermobt and Oklahoma are two such locations. I use to carry for many years after I retired from the Coast Guard, where I carried many times in the apprenhancion of drug rummers. I will be giong back to live in the states where I can again carry legally. Ron USCG Ret

I spoke with a cop in WI who said most at home shooting incidents involved accidentally shooting a family member coming home late. Also, guns get into the wrong hands during robberies of homes. The robber finds the one you have in your nightstand or closet shelf, etc.

m