The feria at Atenas usually has pejibayes. On the upper road toward the school there usually is a booth where they sell them cooked. At the lower end of the feria there sometimes is a booth where they sell fresh ones. At least that was my observation last time I was there, almost a year ago. If you're into cooking them yourself you can save a lot of money, but if you only want a small quantity to try them, buy the cooked ones.

So I had them canned, and they're really not very stringy. Texture and flavor very much like a perfectly cooked acorn squash, or other dry yellow winter squash. Deliciosa! (And I served the pejibayes with mayo, as was done at PriceSmart, to friends here,all of whom have been here from 3 to 8 years, and the pejibayes were very well received.)

regards,

Gayle

Edited by salish sea

Occasionally they're stringy, but normally they have more of a squash-ish flavor, firm to softer depending on ... I don't know, the type, the color, the ripeness? I find when I cook them myself, the texture is better, not sure why.