Tiffany, good advice about using the slow cooker. I use mine all the time so might as well try it with pejibayes, if I ever find any uncooked ones.

Guadalupe feria (Saturday mornings) has them

I'll see if I can find the feria. I go there to Walmart, but don't know my way around.

Nothing is wrong with eating them with mayo! Double yum!

Here's a suggestion to find out nutritional info. They come in cans which have all the details. You can read the can in the store without making a commitment, that is if you bring your super strength readers or magnifying glass. The type size is about 2 pt. Also, I sampled the canned ones at PriceSmart yesterday and they pretty much tasted the same as the fresh cooked ones, with the same texture. Pricey, though.

I googled and site said to boil them for 3 hours.

Hi Marcia. A rare post from you... Hi!

Well if you don't want to boil them 3 hours you could buy the needed amount at the grocery store and use them as an already cooked ingredient in that Bisque recipe.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Paul, man does that bisque recipe sound wonderful!!!

I know I don't boil mine for 3 hours ... maybe 2 in the slow cooker ... although I confess to a certain amount of laziness in pulling them out of the water after.

They have them at the San Joaquín feria, but I know I've seen them other places. 3,000 per kilo already cooked, 1,500 per kilo raw -- big difference! Also, it seems like you get MORE pejis per kilo when they're raw ... maybe they're heavier, having absorbed the water, after cooking?

Edited by stewart.tb

Undoubtedly true that they are an acquired taste..I've never eaten the greasy looking pejjis sold in the markets, but they look quite unappealing. I forgot to add one item in the soup recipe,,,add a couple of cut up tomatoes to your saute before blending.

If you wash the oil off before you peel them (which you would probably do anyway), they aren't greasy inside.

I can't wait to try the soup! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Oh yeah, in response to Shea about the cans listing the ingredients:

1. Canned pejiballes?! Blech, that's about as bad as canned gallo pinto.

2. Yes, what is up with the teeny tiny itsy bitsy font on ingredients here? Everything from jelly to shampoo, too tiny to read a lot of times. And I don't even wear reading classes. (yet.)

Go to your Forums profile and there should be a way to change the sizeof the font.

Not sure how to do it no a PC but on a Mac we just use Command+shift+ '+' or '-' to enlarge the entire screen, text and all.

I'm sure there's a quick easy way to do that on a PC, but since I don't use one one of our other Forums members may have a suggestion.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Just to clarify, we're talking about the font size on canned items, not on the forum.

Tiffany, I tried the canned ones just because they were giving out samples at PriceSmart. They really tasted about the same as the fresh ones. I don't know about the additives, though, because I can't read the list!

No, not here, I was referring to Shea's comment about the font size on the ingredient lists of things in grocery stores here. The font here is fine, big even!

Well it's like that in the States, too. I guess it saves the company on ink.

Or maybe they're in cahoots with the National Optometrist League.

Hey . . . It could happen . . .

Paul M.

==

Maybe you are eating them too small and green if they don't taste good...the ones we eat greenish are just on the verge of turning color and are close to full size....but then we love green papaya and green mango too, so every one to their own preferences. I think 7 or 8 minutes at pressure in a pressure cooker would be more than enough...boiling three hours seems way too long...I definitely will look up the bisque recipe...thanks for that...

Hey, Shea, I also sampled them at PriceSmart and liked them so much that I bought the package with 3 cans. The soups sound great, and we just happen to have some aguacates, so will try Mayanca's recipe with guacamole. Great info, everyone!

(And for anyone reading this who hasn't tried them here in CR, the canned ones look like peaches, but taste rather like acorn squash. Really good! Try 'em.)

nutritional info from the can (ye gods,it's got to be 1 or 2 pt font! I'm using my magnifying glass to read this, talk about feeling OLD):

serving size 1 med pejiyabe (30 g)

59 calories

1.32 g fat

0% saturated fat; 0% cholesterol

no sodium

12.5 g carbs

0 g fiber

Can doesn't show vitamin content

Also, I'm not quite sure how this could be done, but it would be great to have a pinned topic on fruit and vegetables and recipes using them. It's daunting sometimes, buying unfamiliar foods in the feria or grocery, and having no idea whatsoever how to prepare and cook it. (And, yes, Paul, I did bring to CR my copy of "Sabor.')

regards,

Gayle

Julie, thanks for pinpointing the map! I hope to go there if I can get someone to go with me. I'm a block east of ruta 32 and about 4 blocks north of La Florida at the edge of the Rio Virilla Canyon. Doesn't look like it's a very long way.

Paul, there's no way the info on the cans in the U.S. is printed as small as in CR. It has to be about 2 pt. type. I can read the U.S. can information. I have some here in my pantry. I can't read the CR info with readers plus a magnifier.

Edited by Shea

Well it's like that in the States, too. I guess it saves the company on ink.

Or maybe they're in cahoots with the National Optometrist League.

Hey . . . It could happen . . .

Paul M.

==

I think that they don't want us to be able to read what all the additives are, ja ja.

m