Sign in to follow this  
markp

loooking to adpot a lab or golden ret

Hi Mike,

You could maybe consider contacting one of the rescue shelters in CR.

There's Lighthouse Animal Rescue /Faro Rescate Animale in Atenas run by Frances 'Kitten'Jones.

There is also a place in Heredia if that might be more convenient for you, but I don't have contact info. I am sure Frances would, though.

Hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Paul M.

==

http://www.amcostarica.com has a section at the bottome of their classifieds with some of the rescue groups. Plus, there is a section in Pets Y Mas magazine for the rescue groups and licensed breeders. A little known fact - technically, you must have a CVO (certification by SENASA) to breed and sell dogs. The only way it seems to be enforced is by a complaint to SENASA but its a start.

Hi ! I am a volunteer at AHPPA in San Rafael de Heredia! Great organization that has helped thousands of animals over the years!

I strongly urge you to go there or to Lighthouse rescue or any others you may have closer to you to find the Dog that suits your family! The breeders here are not known to be good places to raise puppies and sell them for $ (sad!) There are so so so so many dogs in Costa Rica that need a home without buying from a breeder. There are plenty of puppies also, if that is what you have your heart set on.

I hope you find the perfect pet for you and your family ! If you want to message me , I can be on the lookout for puppies at the Refugio. They go fast! But....it is the little bit older dogs that REALLY need the homes! Believe me....there are some wonderful dogs that are dumped by people , with no reason....except...maybe they want a poodle NOW! I have heard that!

Margo

Hi ! I am a volunteer at AHPPA in San Rafael de Heredia! Great organization that has helped thousands of animals over the years!

I strongly urge you to go there or to Lighthouse rescue or any others you may have closer to you to find the Dog that suits your family! The breeders here are not known to be good places to raise puppies and sell them for $ (sad!) There are so so so so many dogs in Costa Rica that need a home without buying from a breeder. There are plenty of puppies also, if that is what you have your heart set on.

I hope you find the perfect pet for you and your family ! If you want to message me , I can be on the lookout for puppies at the Refugio. They go fast! But....it is the little bit older dogs that REALLY need the homes! Believe me....there are some wonderful dogs that are dumped by people , with no reason....except...maybe they want a poodle NOW! I have heard that!

Margo

---Margo: First of all I want to thank you for your valuable service in helping the CR Animals. I 2nd your recommendation(s) in acquiring a good dog. Our dog ¨Manchas¨came to us a couple of years ago as a neighbor found him lying aside a road in Cartago all dirty with a broken hip. He took him to a Vet who patched him up and called my CR Wife to ask if Manchas could stay with us until he recovers from his injuries. To say the least he decided to adopt us and now runs around like a rabbit.

Manchas is a mixed street dog who is very loving and we would not trade him for any other type of dog. In fact last week my wife´s son gave-up his Snauzer Minitura pup who lived with us for a week but now has been a adopted by a wonderful family. When Cejas the Snazuer arrived Manchas was not a happy dog but we assured him that we would not trade him in for another dog. In fact before Cejas left to live with his new family Manchas and he were playing together :)

Anyhow Margo, please keep-up your good work and I also commend all your Doggie/CAT Associates.

Rick

Edited by tibas9

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions, we were able to get a beautuful black lab 8 months old from a Vet in Cartago that was hit by a car and turned into them by a helpful neighbor the owners left the dog in the street and did not want to help him.

Dear Mark,

What a caring rescue/adoption. I'm sure your new Lab will thrive and quickly become a valued part of your family.

I have never understood how a pet owner would be able to turn a blind eye to a situation such as what you've described happened to this dog.

When I hear stories like this I just keep in mind a little quote I learned a long time ago: "Time wounds all heels."

Regards,

Paul M.

==

Yay! Congratulations, I'm so glad you got a rescued dog! Labs are wonderful friends. I brought my black Lab, Batman, from the states with me last August, and I've been so glad to have him here with me. (He's actually what we call a Labradog ... he looks like a full Lab, but we think he's mixed with Newfie or Chesapeake Bay Retriever.) I adopted him from a shelter in 2005 in WA. Never known a better or smarter dog. We adopted another Lab mix (with German short-haired pointer), an older canine gentleman who'd been abused and abandoned by the side of a highway in WA. Poor guy ... long story short, he recovered and we had him for several years. Mason died shortly before I moved to CR ... such a loyal boy. I still miss his sweet self.

Anyway, just wanted to say rescued dogs are the best, and rescued Labs, well, I'm biased, but I really do think they're among the most wonderful dogs on earth. (Along with Great Danes, but ... the esposo would never go for that in our little apartamentito!) May you have many wonderful years with your new friend. What's his name?

I am so glad that you heard about this dog! Labs are wonderful. The property that I am living on here has 5 of them ! In Austin , where I lived , my neighbor owned one and I asked if I could walk her and he said ,YES. I walked her for 4 years (every day!) until they moved away. It is nice to have someone else's dog to help out! They never never took her anywhere and I even hauled her into town some, and would walk her on the trail...needless to say...she LOVED her Aunt!

Enjoy your new buddy!

Margo

His name is Bruno, he is adjusting well to his new home after a fews days of cleaning up things as he learned the new rutine, He is a great dog very good with our young kids 12 , 5 and 16m old baby. still recoverying from his acident and can not go up on his hind legs or lift his leg to make pee. The vet said it would be a few weeks for the fractures to heel.

I agree it is hard to understand how people can leave a dog alone that can not walk crying in the street...

319453_10151029982498190_448751706_n.jpg

Our last dog to arrive at our house was left by the roadside not far from us, and my husband saw the man with the dog. He came home and told me, "I think we will have another dog tomorrow". Next day, the dog appeared and she 'stunk to high heaven'. She had been pregnant and a dead pup was still inside her. She also has a huge abscess on her side. None other dogs would go near her because of the smell."

I think the previous owners did care what happened to her, but couldn't afford the care she obviously needed.

Now, she is a delight and goes everywhere with my husband in the truck. People constantly ask him "is she for sale?". Definitely not!!!

Thanks for taking the pup into your home.

Edited by costaricafinca

Its really sad that pets get abandoned here. Dogs get dumped all the time in or near the gated gringo communities around here.

Recently a small tabby cat has shown up at our place. In talking to the neighbors, it appears to have just left behind by someone.

So, we may end up with a new kitty.