You're in New Orleans? How about a box of beignet mix? Or some chicory coffee? Too bad you can't bring food. I would place my order right now for an oyster loaf! Yum!

Sorry folks; demgems is still working on the learning curve for maneuvering on this site! :-(

Beignet mix is a great idea...but you think chickory coffee would be good? I personally don't like it.

Edited by Epicatt2
merged these posts for you; you'll get the hang of it

If you put enough milk in it ... lol. I had it at Cafe du Monde and liked it, but I think it was pretty doctored with milk or cream or whatever they do to it. As for the beignets ... Sweet heaven!

I just had another thought. How about translating a recipe for Bananas Foster and putting it on a nice colorful recipe card. Very cheap. So many of the ingredients are available here for the recipient to buy, and you could possibly provide a small bottle of rum and/or banana liqueur if you want to spend a bit more. You can get the American-style brown sugar at AutoMercado, or bring it back with you. The ingredients are so tropical that I think it would be a big hit. Now I have to go to the grocery store ...

If you put enough milk in it ... lol. I had it at Cafe du Monde and liked it, but I think it was pretty doctored with milk or cream or whatever they do to it. As for the beignets ... Sweet heaven!

store ...

---Anyone try-out the new Starbucks that opened in the Avenida Escazu near the Imax complex?

Rick

I just had another thought. How about translating a recipe for Bananas Foster and putting it on a nice colorful recipe card. Very cheap. So many of the ingredients are available here for the recipient to buy, and you could possibly provide a small bottle of rum and/or banana liqueur if you want to spend a bit more. You can get the American-style brown sugar at AutoMercado, or bring it back with you. The ingredients are so tropical that I think it would be a big hit. Now I have to go to the grocery store ...

Shea, recipe translation's a great idea. I'll start working on it. That'll be good language practice, too. Will you proof it for me? LOL! (Referring to "proof reading" Shea...not to the rum!)

dem

Remember when choosing a recipe Dem, that ticos have a distinct sweet tooth!

I gave my Rum-Raisin Brownies recipe to some ticos and they liked it a lot.

I'm going to try my Old-Fashioned Gingerbread on them next time I get a chance. It's the one from Adelle Davis' cookbook, "Let's Cook It Right". I use fresh grated ginger root in it instead of dried ginger powder and it really brightens up the recipe, which was good to begin with.

If you like, I can email them to you, Dem, as an attachment (MS Word .doc, or .docx) if you like. Anyone else, too. PM me your email address.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Ummmm! That sounds good. So, Ticos have a sweet tooth, huh? See Paul, I AM going to fit in down there. Yea, I'd like those recipes. Thanks; will PM you.

See ya,

dem

Shea, recipe translation's a great idea. I'll start working on it. That'll be good language practice, too. Will you proof it for me? LOL! (Referring to "proof reading" Shea...not to the rum!)

dem

One of my Tica friends proofed my brownie translation - fun, and I learned something!

re sweet-toothed Ticos - just a warning; Most desserts here are very sweet, but have almost no flavor. (let's not talk about the sawdust and cement cakes)

One of my Tica friends proofed my brownie translation - fun, and I learned something!

re sweet-toothed Ticos - just a warning; Most desserts here are very sweet, but have almost no flavor. (let's not talk about the sawdust and cement cakes)

OK, I'll bite (pardon the pun) -what's with the sawdust an cement cakes?

OK, I'll bite (pardon the pun) -what's with the sawdust an cement cakes?

well, cakes look absolutely gorgeous, and so you expect deliciousness. But they are often extremely dry, hard, crumbly - seem like they are made w/ cement and sawdust.

I found that my ovens (each one I have used here) don't have their thermostat calibrated. One Tica who tried to make my cookie recipe told me they came out very hard - I said how important it is to have the right temperature, and not overbake.

Which brings us back to the thread topic - if you know people who enjoy baking, an oven thermometer is a very useful gift; perhaps put together a basket of kitchen gadgets (I haven't seen a french whisk here either, and lightweight food scales are difficult to find).

Also, one Tica asked me about those hand-held blenders - where the blade goes right into the pot (good for soups and sauces) - that's on my list of things to bring to her.

Whiskey and chocolates are also nice (but always be careful giving alcohol to people you don't know, as they may be avoiding it).

I bring chocolate chips and walnuts to CR and bake toll house cookies. My GF is addicted to them and I distribute some to my neighbors. They are all amazed that there are cookies that are not hard and dry! In return I have received jars of jam and slices of (tico) cake. It is a good way to interact with the vecinos.

Julie,

I bought a whisk at CEMACO in Alajuela last year. Of course, fairly pricey, CEMACO, but they had several types and sizes when I went there.

Wow! The oven thermometer is an Idea I hadn't thought of, as a gift. A 'fridge and freezer thermometer might be good, too...

HTH

Paul M.

==

I bring chocolate chips and walnuts to CR and bake toll house cookies. My GF is addicted to them and I distribute some to my neighbors. They are all amazed that there are cookies that are not hard and dry! In return I have received jars of jam and slices of (tico) cake. It is a good way to interact with the vecinos.

I've been doing this for years and my Tico neighbors love them, especially the kids of my current landlord. I break down and buy the walnuts and chocolate chips at PriceSmart, since I can't go north to get them. Pricey but worth it. PriceSmart has Ghirardelli chocolate chips. The original Toll House cookie recipe is online.

I bought a whisk at CEMACO in Alajuela last year. Of course, fairly pricey, CEMACO, but they had several types and sizes when I went there.

You found a French Whisk?!? I've seen a bunch of balloon whisks, but never a French one.

For the longest time, I couldn't find potato peelers, and finally brought one down - almost right away, I saw one in CR. That's just how it goes...

Hey Julie,

Here's the kind I got (not the brand):

http://www.chefcentral.com/product/baking-pastry-tools/532737-2540/12-5-in-balloon-whisk.html

And here's another one they also had at CEMACO (again not the brand; just what it looked like):

http://www.chefcentral.com/product/baking-pastry-tools/532737-2540/12-5-in-balloon-whisk.html

(I can't get the pix to display but you can see them at the URLs.

HTH

Paul M.

==