So Lucybelle asked a few weeks ago about what to bring with her as gifts from CR. I have the opposite question: we will be leaving the US (Seattle area) and moving to CR. So many times in the past I thought, oh, I wish I had a little something to give X because s/he was so nice or went out of his/her way. And I never remember to get anything and wonder what would be appropriate in any case.

Suggestions, (especially from those of you in WA State, maybe some region-specific small gifts), maybe some inexpensive items from here that might be appreciated?

Thank you kindly!

regards,

Gayle

There's that wonderful popcorn with nuts and dried cherries at the Pike Place Market. Bring me some, please! Can't remember what it's called.

Maybe something involving images (statue or painted object like a plate) of Orcas or moose. Or a little scarf or handkerchief with a PNW image. The native designs are really interesting if you can find something small and inexpensive with such a design. You knonw the designs I'm talking about. Can't remember what they call that style.

If you are near Pike Place Market, that might be a good place to look for small items. Also, the Made in Washington stores, which are located here and there throughout the state. They might have some small items that wouldn't cost too much.

Someone once suggested bringing several of those inexpensive (two or three bucks each) little battery-operated, handheld, digital computers to give to the kids of a family you want to remember. Better still look for one of those cheapie versions that operate via a photo-cell, either daylight or electric light from a lamp in the room. Then they won't have to buy any batteries.

Those little calculators are good for the kids and help with their school-work.

Just a thought . . .

Paul M.

==

For many years a Tica friend has told us to bring high thread-count towels as gifts. Kitchen towels, batch towels, whatever. Most of the towels here are lower thread-count. Each time we'd bring bundles of (Costco) towels. A handful of kitchen towels packs well and makes a number of good "gee I have something here for you" kind of presents when needed.

Note, the lower thread-count dry faster but our many friends like "showing off" by having higher thread count out for guests.

For kids the "flying saucer" toys (8"-10" propeller on a stick) are great, inexpensive toss-in-the-suitcase kind of toys for wide age range...

No, no, no, that hat with the umbrella on top is for ME .....

CD, also great suggestion, and easy the next time we go to Costco to pick up some towels.

Thank you, all!

regards,

Gayle

Costa Ricans love soccer - so a Tshirt or cap from a soccer team - especially a pro team - would be great. Otherwise, for small gifts -- keychains with something about where you live - "Seattle skyline at night" kind of thing. I have found that Costa Ricans are very interested in where you live(d) in the US.

Try to think about things that are exclusively US. If there is some local speciality - a candy or something like that. An interesting gift would be one of the specialty coffees that are blends of coffees from various countries other than Costa Rica.

Hello All!

Great suggestions! I'll be making my first trip to CR in Jan 2013 and plan to move there in Jan 2014. I was trying to think of some token gifts to bring with me. I plan to visit the families of some Tico friends I have made here in New Orleans. I've written your ideas in my planning book for future reference.

Thanks. I am enjoying reading all of your comments and suggestions.

dem

Hello All!

Great suggestions! I'll be making my first trip to CR in Jan 2013 and plan to move there in Jan 2014. I was trying to think of some token gifts to bring with me. I plan to visit the families of some Tico friends I have made here in New Orleans. I've written your ideas in my planning book for future reference.

Thanks. I am enjoying reading all of your comments and suggestions.

dem

You're in New Orleans? How about a box of beignet mix? Or some chicory coffee? Too bad you can't bring food. I would place my order right now for an oyster loaf! Yum!

you can bring a wide variety of food. there are restrictions that are sometimes enforced - agricultural products (e.g., non-processed foods, like apples from the tree) is one type. I often bring dried fruits.

You're in New Orleans? How about a box of beignet mix? Or some chicory coffee? Too bad you can't bring food. I would place my order right now for an oyster loaf! Yum!