*please leave out any righteous, holier-than-thou lectures about prenups. Thanks :) *

If I plan to get married in the USA and then probably live there, would a prenup written here in CR be held up in courts in the USA?

About how much would a prenup cost? Or does it depend on the actual prenup, location, lawyer, etc?

How valid are postnups? If there is not enough time to get a prenup written up in the USA before a marriage, would a postnup be just as good? Or how bout a combo CR prenup with a USA postnup?

I know all this is better asked to a lawyer, but I'm trying to start here first just to get an idea. Thanks!

Edited by lucybelle

I doubt that any prenup or postnup written in Costa Rica would be valid in the US. And the laws are different in the US from state to state so you would have to see what applies in whatever place in the US you are planning on living.

*please leave out any righteous, holier-than-thou lectures about prenups. Thanks :) *

If I plan to get married in the USA and then probably live there, would a prenup written here in CR be held up in courts in the USA?

About how much would a prenup cost? Or does it depend on the actual prenup, location, lawyer, etc?

How valid are postnups? If there is not enough time to get a prenup written up in the USA before a marriage, would a postnup be just as good? Or how bout a combo CR prenup with a USA postnup?

I know all this is better asked to a lawyer, but I'm trying to start here first just to get an idea. Thanks!

As elenorcr said, I don't think a CR pre or post nup would have any validity in the USA on a US marraige. And the same applies to a US -nup in Costa Rica.

Are you marrying a Costa Rican?

As you said, this is better answered by an attorney in the US.

All you are speaking about here is a contract. Contact an Atty. where you plan to be married, have him prepare you a prenup and sign the papers and file them at the courthouse when you pick up your Marriage License.

Good Luck

Are you marrying a Costa Rican?

I'm not marrying anyone yet, but if we get that far then yes, he is tico. ;) Just trying to figure out paperwork stuff now, because it's always best to be prepared.

Thanks for all the replies!

Good luck with that, Lucybelle. I personally wish I had done a prenup ... twice! lol

Thanks, Shea! You're certainly one of the few who has expressed support. :)

lucybelle,

generally, it would be hard to enforce a prenup in the states. not wholly impossible, but very difficult and it would vary depending on the jurisdiction/state.

if your plan is to eventually come back to the US, and you know what State you'll be returning to, i would contact that state's bar association and they would be able to refer you to a legal aid clinic that could help you with that pro bono.

i have not really practiced family law (not a fun area of law) but if you PM me, i might be able to put you in contact with the right people.

good luck and you will not get the holier than thou lecture from me. you're being careful and smart. nothing wrong with that.

Edited by pbcc33