Well, if you think about it -- there are Costa Ricans and people from many countries who travel to the US. They have drivers' licenses from their 'home' country. It's probably a good idea to get the International Driver's Permit - but -- as others have pointed out, this is not a license -- it is only a translation of your Costa Rica driver's license into English.

Thanks pbcc33 for the info! As far as I know I'm still covered as I was before.

This actually made me remember... I think I have to renew through mail and wait 30 days until I get it back in the mail. I haven't renewed my license since I turned 18, so the laws have changed. I think.

If you can renew by mail and have the new DL sent to your mothers house, by all means do so!

In Calif. you can only renew by mail or net twice before you have to go into an office and have a new ID pic taken.

Well, if you think about it -- there are Costa Ricans and people from many countries who travel to the US. They have drivers' licenses from their 'home' country. It's probably a good idea to get the International Driver's Permit - but -- as others have pointed out, this is not a license -- it is only a translation of your Costa Rica driver's license into English.

I was thinking in the context of US citizens, if a US DL would be preferred or required.

Obviously a citizen of another country (CR) would not have a US DL.

I was thinking in the context of US citizens, if a US DL would be preferred or required.

Obviously a citizen of another country (CR) would not have a US DL.

But Dana,

Julie is a US citizen. She is only a resident of CR and not a citizen there. Even so she has been issued a legal CR DL.

But Julie reports above that the car rental people she asked in the US told her she could use her CR DL to rent a car. They did not ask her whether she had a US DL...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

My Tico cousin travels to the U.S. on business frequently. He only has a CR DL, and he always rents a car from one of the big rental car companies at the airport. Not a problem.

But Dana,

Julie is a US citizen. She is only a resident of CR and not a citizen there. Even so she has been issued a legal CR DL.

But Julie reports above that the car rental people she asked in the US told her she could use her CR DL to rent a car. They did not ask her whether she had a US DL...

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

I had recently read someplace else about a person who wanted to rent a car in the US and they were hassling him about his CR DL because he had let his US DL expire. I think he had to use a different rental co than he had planned on due to the first one insisting on his US DL.

Anyway, this is not a concern to me directly.

I had recently read someplace else about a person who wanted to rent a car in the US and they were hassling him about his CR DL because he had let his US DL expire. I think he had to use a different rental co than he had planned on due to the first one insisting on his US DL.

That's no real surprise for we who have dealt with trying to get answers for things in Costa Rica, which can differ from person asked to person asked.

Anyway, this is not a concern to me directly.

Understood, but this information may be useful for other Forums readers later down the road, no pun intended.

Regards,

Paul M

==

Well my whole trip there I drove with my CR DL. Never was a problem- I used it as my ID in a few bars and stores, but I also never got pulled over or rented a car. Who knows *shrugs*

so glad i can finally answer a question!

lucybelle. i am an attorney in the US and do some traffic stuff.

basically, you will be able to use your CR driver's license. and if you have the international drivers permit, i would have that on hand as well. so that, if you were to be stopped (let's hope you're not) the officer would be able to at least read the IDP, which i think is written in many languages. they might not understand the CR driver's license, if it is written in spanish.

what i would be more concerned about is making sure you are covered under your mom's insurance. depending on the state, laws have changed where driving without any insurance comes with a lot more than just paying a fine.

for most states, you only have to have that particular state's driver's license only of you plan on becoming a resident of that state. and depending on the state, you have 30 to 90 days to get the new driver's license.

sorry for the incomplete sentences :rolleyes:

good luck and have a safe trip!

if you have any more questions, PM me.

Thank you for cutting through all the speculation and giving the final answer here! I was wondering about this topic myself though I have no plans to return to the States anytime soon. :)