This question is a little backwards ^_^

My US license expires on Sunday, and since I'll be in the USA I could renew it. But I'll only be there for one week and I don't feel like wasting half a day in the DMV to renew it to drive a few days a year. Is it okay to drive in the USA with my CR license?

The short answer in your case (in my opinion) is "yes". Waste the time. Imagine the joy of a policeman, in the event of an accident or infraction, having driver with a foreign driver license but no foreign identity card (cedula).

Although U.S. driver licenses are commonly used for identification, even with cedula you'd need other i.d. (passport?) to prove your existence. Renting a car may be possible, but that requires a credit card. The billing address will likely not be "200 m N. Iglesia Cat., San Pedro,..." so I believe it may be more difficult.

Perhaps those who have actually experienced it (C.R. license only, U.S. credit card, etc) can confirm. There is reference to it in another post on International Driver Permits that is active today.

Edited by CountDown

This question is a little backwards ^_^

My US license expires on Sunday, and since I'll be in the USA I could renew it. But I'll only be there for one week and I don't feel like wasting half a day in the DMV to renew it to drive a few days a year. Is it okay to drive in the USA with my CR license?

Well, as has been mentioned on the other threads on this subject, it depends on the particular State you will be driving in. You might want to go to that states DMV site and see what they say.

From what I have read, it also seems to depend on the knowledge of any traffic officer that happens to stop you. Some may be familiar with the law, some may not, and may not bother looking it up on the onbord PC, and just fine you.

But again, you may never be stopped. One other thing, if you will be driving a rental car, they may not accept your CR license, so you should check with them before leaving. It would be a drag to get to the rental counter and find out they will only accept a local state DL.*

This applies only to US citizens.

Edited by DanaJ

I have rented cars with my CR DL. No problem. I also gave them my "25 metros sur de la esquela" and CR phone number. I use my passport as ID at the counter but don't carry it everyday in the car.

.... I also gave them my "25 metros sur de la esquela"

Just FWIW, Tom, the word 'esquela' is pronounced the same way as 'escuela' (school) but spelled that way means an 'obituary notice'.

Did they look at you kinda funny after you handed them that note?

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Just FWIW, Tom, the word 'esquela' is pronounced the same way as 'escuela' (school) but spelled that way means an 'obituary notice'.

After eleanor's (I think) story about the guy with the business card saying "200 meters past the house of the doctor who killed himself" ... they probably didn't blink an eye.

After eleanor's (I think) story about the guy with the business card saying "200 meters past the house of the doctor who killed himself" ... they probably didn't blink an eye.

Excellent point, Tiffany. I'm sure that's exactly right.

Even so we foreigners and our limited language faculties must surely be cause for frequent amusement. Fortunately ticos are usually too polite to 'let on'.

Well, except for the time I ordered 'oak juice' instead of 'apricot nectar' and everyone had a good laugh. (I asked for 'alcornoque' instead of albaricoque.)

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

so glad i can finally answer a question!

lucybelle. i am an attorney in the US and do some traffic stuff.

basically, you will be able to use your CR driver's license. and if you have the international drivers permit, i would have that on hand as well. so that, if you were to be stopped (let's hope you're not) the officer would be able to at least read the IDP, which i think is written in many languages. they might not understand the CR driver's license, if it is written in spanish.

what i would be more concerned about is making sure you are covered under your mom's insurance. depending on the state, laws have changed where driving without any insurance comes with a lot more than just paying a fine.

for most states, you only have to have that particular state's driver's license only of you plan on becoming a resident of that state. and depending on the state, you have 30 to 90 days to get the new driver's license.

sorry for the incomplete sentences :rolleyes:

good luck and have a safe trip!

if you have any more questions, PM me.

Edited by pbcc33

Thanks pbcc33 for the info! As far as I know I'm still covered as I was before.

My TX friend renewed her license online and found that one is required to live at least 30 days per year in the U.S. to maintain it...at least in TX.

m

This actually made me remember... I think I have to renew through mail and wait 30 days until I get it back in the mail. I haven't renewed my license since I turned 18, so the laws have changed. I think.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

No. Obviously their Spanish was as bad as mine.