Hello all,

Does anyone give glucosamin,chondroitin,MSM. to their dogs? My dog is on Artri Tabs( $$$$$$$) Someone told me I could give her gluco.chond+ MSM. I buy it for myself but I'm not sure of the dose for my dog she is around 20 to 25 pounds.

Thanks in advance for any info.

You can google links to decide the amount to give. Or you can do the math looking at your bottle of Arthotabs and figure out the dosage. Another option is Vit C. You can also google Vitamin C + dogs + arthritis (or hip dysplasia).

If you can find Syn-Flex here, that has been highly recommended to also be used for dogs.

To make you feel better, I have a 150lb dog on Glucosamine+Chondrontin. I am slowly switching him to Ester C.

(Updated, corrected)

Yes, I gave it to my dog in the states more as prevention (for him, and also for an older dog with hip/arthritis issues ... he passed away shortly before I moved here. :() Batman, whom I brought with me here to CR, started having symptoms of arthritis in one leg not long after moving here.

I used to buy it at Costco in the states, it was something around $10 or $12 for an enormous bottle. Lasted forever. If I remember right, the dosage for the Artritabs was 2 per day for Batman, as compared with the a 1 tablet per day of the Glucosamine/Chondroitin from Costco, which was something like 1500/1200mg, respectively. The Artritabs, at 2 per day, came out to 1200/1000 per day, respectfully, so they were getting a bit more from the Costco tabs, but they always did fine on it. They each weighed about 68-70lbs. Also, the Costco tabs did not contain MSM, whereas the Artitrabs did.

I gave Batman the Artritabs for one month here, prescribed by a CR vet here, but I just can't afford the nearly $40 cost. If anyone knows of a source for Glucosamine/Chondroitin here at a reasonable prices, I'd love to know about it.

Edited by stewart.tb

Thanks Lunja and Stewart tb,

I buy the capsules for myself and I thought maybe 1 capsule per day for her. I just don't want it to be too much. I looked on line but it sames most people are talking about their big dogs. I will keep looking for the right dose.

Edited by missy

<p>Yes, I gave it to my dog in the states more as prevention (for him, and also for an older dog with hip/arthritis issues ... he passed away shortly before I moved here. :() Batman, whom I brought with me here to CR, started having symptoms of arthritis in one leg not long after moving here.

I used to buy it at Costco in the states, it was something around $10 or $12 for an enormous bottle, and I could split the pills for them. Lasted forever. If I remember right, the dosage for the Artritabs was 2 per day for Batman, as compared with the a half-tablet per day of the Glucosamine/Chondroitin from Costco, which was something like 1500/1200mg, respectively. I don't remember the mg of

Hi Stewart tb,You said Batman WAS on Artritabs why isn't he on them now????? I thought this was forever.

Hey Missy, I just corrected my earlier post above ... I was giving my boys 1 tablet per day of the Costo G/Ch, not half a tablet, sorry. It came out to be a bit higher dosage than the Artritab dosage. (but much much cheaper). Batman is bigger than your dog, so a half tablet would do her.

The reason I'm not buying the Artritabs is because it runs me nearly $40 per month to buy them, and we're on a really limited budget. (I'd written that last night, but somehow my post was missing part of what I'd originally written)

Where do you buy the Glucosamine, and how does the cost compare?

Tiffany

Edited by stewart.tb

If anyone knows of a source for Glucosamine/Chondroitin here at a reasonable prices, I'd love to know about it.

Tiffany,

I was not going to reply to this thread because I don't have a pet.

But now I'd like to toss in my 2CW . . .

My 'health food pusher' some time back, when I was investigating suitable supplements for my own hip joint pain, advised me not to buy Glucosamine-Chondroitin because the Chondroitin, which is extracted from crab carapace (shells) is difficult to extract which makes it more expensive, and has a large molecule which makes it difficult for us (humans) to absorb. As such we only absorb a percentage of it and that makes it more expensive than Glucosamine.

Glucosamine is easy and inexpensive to produce, has a small molecule that is easily absorbed, and does exactly the same thing as Chondroitin.

I can buy bottles of 500 capsules of Glucosamine sulfate for about US$9.00 and many Glug/Chond brands are in the US$30.00 area.

I have been using Glucosamine sulfate and Boswellia extract tablets in combination for my hip joint pain and while it hasn't fixed my hip, has removed the aching I was experiencing while at rest. It does cut down on the pain when walking but I will eventually have to have a hip replacement or resurfacing.

But the Glucosamine sulfate should work for Batman and keep you expenses down somewhat. I haven't lloked for it in CR but suspect that GNA or some of the better MacroBioticas would stock ti.

HTH

Paul M.

==

Glucosamin and Chondroitin used for dogs with joint pain or discomfort, arthritis. It is restoring cartilage, takes away the inflanmation.

Usually, large dogs have a tendency to have joint issues. You can give large dog ( 70+ pounds) 500-2,000 mg/a day, Small dogs - 1/2 or 1/4 of it.

Ester C or C vit is to keep immune system( antiviral, antibacterial,anticancer), gums, liver strong.It will not rebuild the joint.

My golden retreaver and all my dogs before him always took supplements. It was easy to get the best in USA. I still bring it from there and give it to my dog daily.

It is much better to keep them healthy and ACTIVE ( my does 5-6 km a day walk with us) than see the vet... with drugs and expenses...

Paul, if you're talking about GNC here in Costa Rica, I'll go there next time I have something valuable to hock. EXPENSIVE! I tried to buy lutein there and it costs 8 times the price I pay in the U.S. I imagine other products are equally more expensive, but I won't go there to find out.

Paul, if you're talking about GNC here in Costa Rica, I'll go there next time I have something valuable to hock. EXPENSIVE! I tried to buy lutein there and it costs 8 times the price I pay in the U.S. I imagine other products are equally more expensive, but I won't go there to find out.

Shea,

I was suggesting that one can save money yet get the same results by buying plain Glucosamine sulfate (without Chondroitin) and not wasting your money on the Chondroitin. (See my earlier post for why.)

Glucosamine sulfate should be available at local Macrobioticas. It may also be available at GMC. (One can choose which to shop at depending upon his or her pocketbook.)

HTC

Paul M.

==

Hey Missy, I just corrected my earlier post above ... I was giving my boys 1 tablet per day of the Costo G/Ch, not half a tablet, sorry. It came out to be a bit higher dosage than the Artritab dosage. (but much much cheaper). Batman is bigger than your dog, so a half tablet would do her.

The reason I'm not buying the Artritabs is because it runs me nearly $40 per month to buy them, and we're on a really limited budget. (I'd written that last night, but somehow my post was missing part of what I'd originally written)

Where do you buy the Glucosamine, and how does the cost compare?

I buy the G/CH at th microbiotica in my neighborhood 6000 colones. The Artritabs at the Vets are 12.000 colones. I will have to break open the capsules and just give her half everyday.

Tiffany

how many Artritabs for 12,000? I paid nearly 18,000!

60 Tabs the price is really 11.700 colones I just rounded it off.You should ask at other Vet offices for prices. I just noticed that the dog food I bought today, Nutri Source has G/Ch in it.

Edited by missy