Sign in to follow this  
stewart.tb

Dogs: medicine for hot spots?

Hey guys, since moving here, Batman has gotten hot spots a few times, and now has another one. This one is so painful he flinches even just from me blowing on it. In the states there are various medications, sprays, creams to treat them, although he really didn't get them in the US. Does anyone know a product here that I can look for? (Bonus points if it can be found in a regular store, not an actual vet or pet store!) Or has anyone found an alternative treatment that helps?

Thanks,

Tiffany

It's basically a wet, raw, sore, and eventually wet-scabby spot on their skin. It gets irritated, and they lick/bite at it which aggravates it. Pretty gross, actually. Some dogs are prone to them, and I've heard them called "summer sores", so maybe dogs tend to get them more in the heat? All I know is Batman didn't get them in Seattle, but he's had 3 or 4 since moving here. They actually do feel hot, which I guess is behind the name.

Have you tried just using an antibiotic gel or ointment? You can get that at any pharmacy, basically, and I have used it a lot for my dog when she gets any kind of sore or infection. Yes, it gets licked off pretty quick, but it does help if you can distract your dog for 5 or 10 minutes until it goes to work. I have also used aloe for sores.

I can't recall my dog getting anything like you describe. Bot flies, ear mites and infections and of course, the usual fleas and ticks -- but nothing like that.

I've been using that chamomile cream for babies, as my cuñada had used it on a sunburn I once had, so I had some in the house. It does seem to help a bit, the trouble is it is really thick and doesn't "stick" so well since the area is pretty moist. Blech!

No, I haven't tried the antibiotic ointment ... I really need to go pick some up at a pharmacy, just to have in any case. It's one of those things I never think of until I need it, and I guess I'm still in the frame of mind that it's one of those grocery store items. In the US I almost never thought about going to a pharmacy, but here it's where you have to get a lot of things. Do they have the kind with pain killer here, like Neosporin+ or anything?

I've never seen the ones with painkiller - but you might find it. I also haven't seen Neosporin but something similar. I usually use an antibiotic ointment with three ingredients.

Tiffany,

Would you please post if you find Neosporin or eqivalent? IIRC, when I was in CR earlier in the year, I couldn't find it, so it's one of the things on my list to bring from the US when we move to CR in Aug.

regards,

Gayle

I've been using that chamomile cream for babies, as my cuñada had used it on a sunburn I once had, so I had some in the house. It does seem to help a bit, the trouble is it is really thick and doesn't "stick" so well since the area is pretty moist. Blech!

No, I haven't tried the antibiotic ointment ... I really need to go pick some up at a pharmacy, just to have in any case. It's one of those things I never think of until I need it, and I guess I'm still in the frame of mind that it's one of those grocery store items. In the US I almost never thought about going to a pharmacy, but here it's where you have to get a lot of things. Do they have the kind with pain killer here, like Neosporin+ or anything?

Tiffany,

Sorry to read that your doggy's got a hot spot, and maybe I missed something above but why aren't you checking with a vet to see what is used in CR for this sort of thing?

And if one vet does not offer a good suggestion try getting another opinion from a 2nd vet.

Failing that why not consider contacting Frances 'Kitten' Jones at the Lighthouse Animal Rescue Center in Atenas? She may have some useful suggestions for treatment or know of some medications which would benefit your dog.

You can email her at: < missebony@yahoo.com >

Fingers X-ed for the quick recovery of your dog.

Paul M.

==

Because I just noticed it today, Sunday afternoon, and thought I'd check here to see if there was something I could easily pick up. It's hard for me to take him to the vet, because he has developed arthritis pretty bad in one front leg, so he can't do long walks any more -- that news was broken to me on our last visit. Taxi drivers don't like to have perros in the car, and Batman is pretty big, so vet visits are limited to more serious things. But actually, good idea, I may just go down without Batman, and talk to the vet about it, if it doesn't get better. Thanks, and thanks for the link, too.

Now to try and say "hot spot" in Spanish without sounding obscene ...

Gayle and Tiffany: Just stop thinking about finding the same brand here Ask the pharmacist for "crema antibiotica" or "unguento antibiotico." You don't always have to have the same thing you can find at Walgreen's. There are many medications of all sorts that have different names here but do the same thing.

OK, thanks. I don't care about the brand, but would be exceedingly happy to find some that has the pain killer. Miracle in a tube for hangnails! I was thinking maybe Batman wouldn't lick it off if it numbed up the area.

I found unguento called Hidrocortisona Neomicina, uso topico at farmacia here in Zarcero, so I am sure you should be able to get it elsewhere. I have used it for my cats boo boos and on myself for bug bite and it really works well.

M

There is a cream called Alergel which has lidocaine and benadryl in it. The lidocaine may burn or hurt at first but then it will numb the area. You can also use steroid cream w/ an antiobiotic in it, like neosporin. It is my experience that most hot spots are caused fromn allergic a reaction to a flea bite. It only takes one bite. You never have to even see the flea. You can give her oral benadryl, too. I would also recommend shampooing her 2-3 times a week with a shampoo containing chlorhexidine. Because she also has some arthritis, you might start to give her supplemental Vit C. Yes, dogs make their own Vit C but they can be low at times. Ester-C is the best but you are not likely to find it here. Big doses of Vit C in dogs can give them the runs if you do a bunch all at once so start small and work your way up.

Just curious, what are you feeding her?