Hello all,

Has anyone had their cat diagnosised with Hyperthyroidism here in Costa Rica? My cat has had blood tests and I was told kidney failure. But recently saw an article that is making me think it is Hyperthyroidism. She is always hungry and all she does is eat and poop and she is very thin.I would like to know what kinda treatment is offered for Hyperthroidism..

Thank You,

Missy

No real info, but just wanted to say, check the protein content of your cat food. I have a good friend who lost her much loved cat to kidney disease, and afterward found out that some brands of cat food - including the quality brand she was using, thinking she was giving her kitty something healthy -- had extremely high protein levels that contribute to kidney disorders. Good luck!

Thank You Ruffrider and Stewart.tb, I'm bringing her to the Vet today.... I will update.

Edited by missy

I just came home from the Vet and it turns out that my cat has Hyperthyroidismand it is already affecting the kidneys and the liver.I guess they don't see much of this in Costa Rica because people usually have the cat put down without getting the test done. Now my Vet is looking to see if he can get the medication here in Costa rica and find out the cost of the treatment.

There is a dark cloud over my head today :(

Edited by missy

Sorry to hear this. WE also had a cat many years ago with this, and had to giver her medication daily. She lived a long time with it, but it also meant taking her in for periodic tests. In the US, the medicine was expensive, I have no idea what it will cost here.

Dana

I had this same problem with one of my cats and I used Dr. Peter Dobias's homeopathic cure. It worked great and was very inexpensive. Just google this Dr.'s name and the condition and you can read all about it.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I will check out Dr. Peter Dobia's cure Thank you.

I was just wondering if Hyperthyroidism is common in people???? The treatment is the same and I don't know why the Vet is having a problem finding it in Costa Rica.

Thank you everyone for your thoughts. I will check out Dr. Peter Dobia's cure Thank you.

I was just wondering if Hyperthyroidism is common in people???? The treatment is the same and I don't know why the Vet is having a problem finding it in Costa Rica.

Yes, its the same med, but a much smaller dose. That may be the problem here, its for people, but since you don't have it, you can't get a script, or something like that.

Good luck, and keep posting how things turn out for your pet.

Dana