My cleaning lady charges 1700c/hora. The last two times she's cleaned, she's over charged me. The first time, I didn't even notice. She told me 3500c, I gave it to her, let her out, then realized she was only there for an hour. I really like this lady, she does a good job, is really friendly, and just a happy lady. I don't know if I should call her out on her over charging, or just deal with it. I mean 3500c to clean my whole apartment? Hell I'd probably pay 10,000c for someone to do that! We can afford it, she needs the money way more than we do. But I don't know if this is a "principle" thing. Like- it's not that we can't afford it, it's that she's purposely over charging. Plus, I always give her a little extra anyways (when she charges 2500, I give her 3000).

Today I was going to say "Okay about an hour, right?" but before I said anything she gave me the amount. I don't want to argue with her... I'm such a wuss! :unsure:

Ideas on how to approach this? Or just get over it?

If you don't 'nip this in the bud' you will be stuck with it. She knows that she has overcharged you....and that her 'Aguinaldo' will reflect this, and be more than it should be.

I would suggest you discuss it with her, before she starts next time.

I agree the cost is sooo much lower than it would be in North America, but she is cheating you.

As an afterthought, if you are happy paying 3,500.col, do so, but emphasize this is the total price every time she cleans, as she may s-l-o-w down if you pay her less.

BTW you will also need to pay the new VAT tax ....

Edited by costaricafinca

I used my landlady's housekeeper to keep my place up while I was away for a few months. I needed someone to help the dust down and keep mushroms from growing in the bathroom. She was a known trustworthy entity and I could include her pay with my monthly rent payment and my landlady would forward it. We agreed that the first cleaning would be for 5 hours (whole house) and after that once a month for as many hours as needed. Well, it seems that she needed 5 hours each visit to clean a 1 br casita that had been vacant. Okay, ya got me. I should have stipulated no more than 2 hours per visit. Then, sometime after I had returned, I discovered that she had substituted the two rolls "quality" bathroom tissue on the shelf in the bathroom with the "see-thru" Tico style paper. She had removed the rolls from the packaging and replaced them with her own. Certinly not the heist of the year but pretty chicken ***t in my book.

She still cleans my landlady's house next door so I see her often.She spends 4-5 hours cleaning her house 3 times each week. Kinda overkill if you ask me but my landlady IS a bit of a neat freak.Could be that is how she got the idea that 5 hours was appropriate. She has asked me if I would like her to continue to clean my place. I declined. I don't plan to have her back and that is my way of putting my foot down (quietly).

I think that if you plan to have someone do some work for you that it is necessary to lay down specific ground rules up front.

One thing I would do if you use her again is to verbalize the time that she arrives, so she can be aware that you are timing her correctly. If you tell her the time out loud, then you have that to rely on if she tries to overcharge you.

That's probably a good policy in any case, with her or any other hourly worker. I might even try to remember to do that myself!