Gentle Forums Members,

"Noble patria, tu hermosa bandera", the Costa Rican National Anthem, which those of you here on the Forums who eventually do receive their naturalization will be invited to sing, along with the others that day receiving their naturalizations at the ceremony, can be heard at this link.

It is sung slowly and clearly and every other line on the linked page is printed in spanish, then english, and if you realize that it will help you follow the singer's progress thru the lyrics in spanish.

It's a very moving song.

Paul M.

==

Sorry, but no one is invited to sing anything. You are basically instructed to remain quiet and wait your turn. There’s no national anthem played, no pledge to anything, no swearing to anything, no flags, no national symbols of any kind. It’s just a perfunctory administrative process of – “Is this your signature? … Sign here and here, take your certificate, exit there, next please”. That process is repeated about 300 times once every two weeks on the 5th floor of the TSE building in San Jose.

But hey, it never hurts to learn all you can; go for it. But sing it after you get your naturalization certificate. That way if they kick you out of there for making a disruption you’re good to go. And you’ll have opportunities to sing it on other occasions, just not when you get naturalized.

Sorry, but no one is invited to sing anything. You are basically instructed to remain quiet and wait your turn. There’s no national anthem played, no pledge to anything, no swearing to anything, no flags, no national symbols of any kind. It’s just a perfunctory administrative process of – “Is this your signature? … Sign here and here, take your certificate, exit there, next please”. That process is repeated about 300 times once every two weeks on the 5th floor of the TSE building in San Jose.

But hey, it never hurts to learn all you can; go for it. But sing it after you get your naturalization certificate. That way if they kick you out of there for making a disruption you’re good to go. And you’ll have opportunities to sing it on other occasions, just not when you get naturalized.

It is interesting that you say that Ticochico, but my friend who was naturalized several years ago described the ceremony as ending with everyone singing the national anthem. (Well, those who chose to sing, that is.)

Don't know why he would make that up...

Paul M.

==

As quickly and frequently as things change around here, your friend is probably not making that up, AND ticochico is probably right!. Why shouldn't they be conflicting reports,when nothing else is consistent?

And what difference does it make? If you want to learn it, learn it. Otherwise, if you are asked to sing, just move your lips and be glad it's not supposed to be a solo.

Paul - no one said anything about "making things up." Perhaps when your friend was naturalized there was a spontaneous singing of the National Anthem once everyone's paperwork was done and signed. Perhaps things have changed -- as they often do.

Edited by eleanorcr

Sorry, but no one is invited to sing anything. You are basically instructed to remain quiet and wait your turn. There’s no national anthem played, no pledge to anything, no swearing to anything, no flags, no national symbols of any kind. It’s just a perfunctory administrative process of – “Is this your signature? … Sign here and here, take your certificate, exit there, next please”.

Jaja, that sounds about like my Costa Rican wedding: it's all about the signature. The lawyer read some stuff, we signed, and then everyone started clapping and stood up to leave and go celebrate. I was like, wait, where's everybody going? What about the vows? No vows? How can I be married without an "I do"?! What about for richer for poorer? Sickness and health? Nothing?! Somebody better darn well say something about the whole foresaking all others business ... wait, seriously? No official kiss?" Yep, sign on the dotted line, or rather, next to the timbres, and that was it. Sign it, you're married, now go have a drink.

And no anthem, either.

Edited by stewart.tb

I related things how they are done in the relative recent past, this year and last. Things probably have changed several times over the years, and will change more still with time. Eventually maybe it will even change back to how it was done at some point in the past, who knows. I wouldn’t be surprised if someone makes a post here and says I just got naturalized last week and we sang the national anthem.

To give you an idea, it’s more of an assembly line process. You are filed in and filed out. When done you’re told to leave. The line forms outside the building and just continues that way until they get through everyone. So there is no mass naturalization event. It’s more of an individual process repeated about 300 times until they get through the line of people. The first ones in line are long gone by the time they finish with the last ones in line.

Can't argue that things don't change.

With regard to naturalization, perhaps they did. My friend got naturalized about five years ago...

Later,

Paul M.

==