Statistically I am not sure how many people are victims of violent crime. I personally have never been the victim of violent crime. In my experience is that few people are. When you talk to law enforcement most people that are involved know the person that acts in violence toward them. I own guns as most of my family and friends. When you talk with many of them that are not hunters they verbalize a fear that someone will attack their home or some other need to defend themselves. Why we are so fearful as Americans I am uncertain. When you watch TV or are in the checkout lines at the market fear and tragedy are what sells. My fear for the group is that we move to Paradise and import our fears and need to have weapons. All of us are aware of the tragedy in Florida and a tragedy recently in Costa Rica. Having weapons not always solves problems but can start problems. As a result of the desire to protect me ,my neighborhood or belongings someone else dies and we all have another reason to be afraid and more guns and more deaths. Why are you afraid in paradise? If you are unsafe here why come and why not move to some other place that you are safe. Living in a gated community or in the center of an empty aircraft hanger can not make you safe. " We have nothing to fear but fear itself"

Ed

Living in a gated community for us is not so much about keeping ourselves safe but about keeping our stuff safe. We leave CR for a few months at a time. If my home wasn't in a gated community, I'd come back with not just all the contents robbed, but likely the commodes, outlets, electrical wiring & roof stripped. We've watched it happen to unattended oceanfront homes. Crime in our area is much more focused on property crime & we simply try to be a more difficult target.

I admit the thought of a home invasion does scare me, but that's not unique to CR. I feel as safe in my home in CR as I do in my home in FL. My husband was the victim of an armed home invasion when he was 20, living in his childhood home with roommates after his parents had moved away. We started dating about a month later & since then he has never been the victim of a violent crime. I've never personally experienced any violent crime at all in my lifetime.

My home in FL is in an upper middle class beaches neighborhood. A few weeks ago one of my neighbors murdered his wife in a drunken rage. Thankfully he didn't decide to take anyone else out with her & was arrested without harming anyone else. The community was totally up in arms over it because things like that don't happen in this area. Well, violence can touch you *anywhere*! I'm diligent about my safety in any context & for that I can rest pretty easy at night. Nothing I can really do to avoid random violence but rely on my instincts & luck, I suppose.

Jessica

Agree with you leaving your property unattended for long periods is not a good idea any place. Homes here in Charlotte have air conditioners removed, tract homes have granite counter tops and flooring removed. Taking care of your things is wise. Somethings can happen because you let your guard down or are walking around armed expecting to be a victim. I have lived here over 20 years and avoid areas of town that are know to be a problem. Do not go sight seeing at 2 am in the projects. I will not even stop to buy gas in some areas of town. Recently learned that we have a new homeless shelter in an area I have traditionally purchased gas in the past but noticed that things felt different and stop buying there as well. You cannot protect your self from random violence, you can make decisions based on your life style to be as safe as possible. We are trying to decide on a smaller place at present to spend our time between Costa Rica, States and come other place. My wife likes a yard being raised in New York. I want a High rise as there is less obvious signs that you are not home. Grass would be two foot tall after a few weeks and a neon sign they are in Costa Rica. Stay out of problem areas shotguns for home defense. Use premium loads, none of the bird shot, Watch out for the bus robbers. It seems that they have found the people responsible. Still the odds of being robbed on the bus in Costa Rica per person would be what. I am guessing like winning the lottery.

Ed

I don't feel "unsafe" in Costa Rica. I don't live in a gated community. I live in Pavas, which some people would never go to if the US embassy wasn't there. I'm careful where I go, when I go, how I look, and what I carry with me. But I do that everywhere. The most unsafe I feel is when I'm flying down the highway in some crazy taxi. Or the other day when I was so sure the bus I was on was just going to tip over.

Statistically I am not sure how many people are victims of violent crime. I personally have never been the victim of violent crime. In my experience is that few people are. When you talk to law enforcement most people that are involved know the person that acts in violence toward them. I own guns as most of my family and friends. When you talk with many of them that are not hunters they verbalize a fear that someone will attack their home or some other need to defend themselves. Why we are so fearful as Americans I am uncertain. When you watch TV or are in the checkout lines at the market fear and tragedy are what sells. My fear for the group is that we move to Paradise and import our fears and need to have weapons. All of us are aware of the tragedy in Florida and a tragedy recently in Costa Rica. Having weapons not always solves problems but can start problems. As a result of the desire to protect me ,my neighborhood or belongings someone else dies and we all have another reason to be afraid and more guns and more deaths. Why are you afraid in paradise? If you are unsafe here why come and why not move to some other place that you are safe. Living in a gated community or in the center of an empty aircraft hanger can not make you safe. " We have nothing to fear but fear itself" Ed

A couple of thoughts:

Our view comes from the news and they live by, "if it bleeds it leads" which can distort our calculation of risk ... if you watch too much news it concentrates the worse stuff and can really make you afraid to go outside.

Men tend to underestimate risk and woman over estimate it ... thus, woman are more afraid of a burglary in a city of 100k than a man. I am only now telling my wife the things I did with the kids 20 years later.

We lived in the middle of Atlanta, GA for much of our lives which is the murder capital of the US and never had a concern. Most the killing was black on black or drug related so as long as you stayed out of certain areas you had no concerns.

So, I am confused on how to evaluate crime especially in foreign countries .... most of my coworkers outside the US think Americans are a violent brutal race who are armed and shoot first ... who could blame them from our movies ... I think we seem pretty friendly.... personal opinion is that people leave when things get bad (sorry not very scientific) ... the US does not deport many immigrants from Costa Rica so it can not be that bad (I know it is economic too) .... right?

Edited by ncdad1

Costa Rica is not a paradise. It has many like features one might imagine in a paradise.

Here most guards carry weapons. This is not a custom to us North Americans are accustomed too. We have two country's with very strict laws. This puts enough fear in people to not commit petty crimes. But here it is not the same and I guess they have to resort to carrying weapons to keep crime away. We have heard from a very respectable intelligent doctor who has lived here for many years. That many tico's have more things that they can afford. How no one knows, only one can assume.

Weapons are scary, but truly it's the people who are scary.

We lived in the middle of Atlanta, GA for much of our lives which is the murder capital of the US and never had a concern.

I have heard this for so many different cities in the USA (Flint, LA, etc), I wonder which one is true.

I have heard this for so many different cities in the USA (Flint, LA, etc), I wonder which one is true.

Depends on the year ... I think Atlanta, New Orleans, Flint, Detroit all swap off over time .... obviously something the chamber of commences would like to forget ...

Take a look at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the-murder-capital-of-the-world/2011/12/26/gIQAehQKJP_graphic.html

Some times fear is used to control behavior by those of good intention. As a child I was reminded not to look at certain people in the eyes or to avoid walking through certain areas of town. Later in life I learned that some of the teaching of fear was believed to be a means to prevent me from being harmed. If you stay out of a lions cage maybe the lion will be less likely to eat you. Another advantage I have in Costa Rica is that I maybe able to pass for some one from Limon if I do not talk . have been told I look poor and have been told uneducated as well. The longer you are in country and the more you become a part of the community the safer I believe you will be. The first integrated neighborhood we lived in the States it took a while to learn where to shop what places to avoid. People after observing my family learned that for the most part we were regular working people and not drug dealers. Try to become a part of where you live and you cannot predict random violence. Random violence is less common than you would believe from TV. I was told by my new dentist that I need to have two implants. She continued to say that the cost would only be $6000 or so. Violent emotions if not physical injury. If I do not spend the money she explained I could possibly lose another tooth. I did not have the heart to tell her that I am the only one of my brothers that do not have at least a partial and $6000 to save one tooth is a very strange idea for a poor boy from the eastern part of NC. Plan is to get a partial next time I am in country from a friend that recently finished dental school and if that fails try eBay or some estate sales.

Ed

Edited by gambler93

This gun thread has remained civil up until the last three posts which have as of now been removed.

Let's please keep things civil. Those who don't or won't will find themselves moderated in short order.

Any one of those posts could have been made in a thoughtful and civil manner with no need to be blunt and confrontational.

==

I would like to throw Memphis Tn. into the mix. I was a Security Guard at a large building downtown---right on Main Street---which is a walking street for tourist. Now the City didn't want us to have guns; not because we didn't need them but because they wanted the tourist to feel save. However, there are armed police on bikes and in cars. everywhere. A quick speed dial and 30 seconds later I have someone with a gun. I had tourist ask me all the time if it was save to walk in Memphis. My answer was: "Stay on Main, there are Security Guards at building all along the street and police." Just a block off of Main we have rapes, robberies, and even murder. That is how thin the line is between being save and being dead. The idea that one country, one town, or one area is the only save or the only dangerous in the world is crazy. There is not a story I can tell, which cannot be repeated in every city in the world.

Bad people, is something moving to Costa Rica will not do away with; they are everywhere. And, for every one of them that is shot or jailed they are replaced by two more. Life is too short to let them rob you of the time worrying. Be as careful as you can and enjoy life.

Edited by konotahe