Gentle Forums Members,

I have to fly on Spirit at least once every three months to keep my frequent flyer miles from expiring, thus I was obliged to book a r/t flight next month on the 18th. It's a one hour flight + 10 hour layover in FLL + 1 hour return to Tampa.

It was the shortest flight I could book and certainly was inexpensive enough with my $9 Fare Club, but I need to know if any of you who may route thru FLL on your way to CR might have an idea for what there is to do in or near the airport (FLL). (I know Jessica used to fly Spirit but I don't know whether she dragged her menagerie to something other than fast-food.)

I'd just as soon not rent a car but I have not ruled that out, however if there is a nice restaurant somewhere in FLL I'd be willing to grab a meal there, since Spirit only sells some pricey snacks. And I can get Burger King elsewhere than at an airport for considerably cheaper, but I only do fast-food as a last resort!.

Maybe some one of you knows a nice local non-chain restaurant that's within a mile or so of the airport that I could get to in a taxi without taking out a 2nd mortgage.

My thought was to take along an interesting book with me to read during my 10 hour layover, but I know that I'll eventually need to eat something, hence I'm hoping there are better victuals in the airport than just fast-food --like an on-site hotel with a somewhat classy restaurant.

And PS . . . I haven't ruled out napping.

Cheers!

Paul M.

==

Paul - I would consider renting a room in an inexpensive hotel near the airport. This way, you can watch some TV, read, nap, maybe even take a dip in the pool or use their fitness center if they have one.

My son and I stayed in Dania and can't remember the name of the hotel - but I will search it out for you. It was right across the street from a shopping center that had two decent restaurants and had a free shuttle to/from the airport. In addition, there was a Macaroni Grill a short taxi ride away.

I looked it up, Paul, and it's the Best Western Plus Ft. Lauderdale Airport South. There are also a few others in the same area that are under $100.

Edited by eleanorcr

Hey Paul,

I have done that same wait before. I grabbed a cab and went to a book store and had a decent lunch. The cab fare was more expensive that what I was expecting (got used to the CR cab fares :) I guess).

There is a mall close by as well, but unfortunatly I have forgotten the name of it. By the time you get through security and all that jazz, that time actually passes rather quickly.

GL

Merc

Yeah, but we are talking something like 7 hours. (Let's say an hour to get out of the airport and arrive back 3 hours before flight time.) Can you really sit in a restaurant or bookstore for 7 hours? And if you go to some local attractions such as the beach or botanical garden, the cab fare will eat you up. Another option - rent a cheap car and drive yourself around a bit. Visit the beach, a park, a restaurant - even the library.

Paul - We actually always ate at the restaurant in the FLL airport (we don't really do fast food unless it is absolutely the only thing available!). I don't 100% remember if the restaurant was in the Spirit terminal or the Southwest Airlines terminal, but I'm almost certain it is in the Southwest one. If I remember correctly, back then they had a Chili's but I don't ever remember seeing it open during our layovers.

Jessica

True Eleanor, but it's a 10 hour layover, hence the book (and maybe my laptop). The flights are only an hour and both are domestic and I have no luggage, only a carry-on to deal with. Since they are domestic and without luggage I won't have to be there but two hours early so that leaves 8 hours free.

And thanx Jessica. I'll check the map of FLL and see if that restaurant shows up.

Also, it might be nice if there's a VIP-ish sort of lounge somewhere in the airport when one could find some respite from the crowds and noise.

OK - Thanx for all y'all's replies. Some interesting suggestions. Food for thought, as it were...

Paul M.

==

Paul, don't rule out Priceline for finding both a cheap rental car and maybe even a hotel nearby. Free parking and info from the front desk about decent nearby restaurants -- sounds like a plan to me. I recently needed to go to Providence, RI, and through bidding on PL, got a rental car for something like $32 (total) for 3 days. And that amount included all taxes and fees! You may not find quite as good a deal at FLL, but it's worth checking out. (I go to Kayak to see what rental cars are going for, then Priceline where I place my bid.)

As you would say, HTH!

regards,

Gayle